There’s no law that smart meters are compulsory – Bendigo Advertiser

Many people believe that they are compelled by Victorian state law to allow smart meters to be installed in their homes.

There is no such law.

Victorian state law makes it compulsory for the five electricity distributors to “use their best endeavours” to install meters in every household and business by the end of 2013.

There is no law that forces the customer to accept the meters.

BRIAN CLARKE,

Castlemaine

via There’s no law that smart meters are compulsory – Opinion – Letters to the Editor – General – Bendigo Advertiser.

This entry was posted in best endeavours, Smart Meter, There is no such law and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to There’s no law that smart meters are compulsory – Bendigo Advertiser

1. bassie thoreau says:

I have followed your precious advice Richard Leschen but the letters from SP AusNet keep coming and a new threat has been served upon me …they will cut off my electricity supply …I am exhausted reading and answering all these letters…and seeking further information via STOP SMART METERS Assoc.
    From 2010 -2013 ..well with much effort I have stopped them so far but they keep throwing the “CODE” back to me now advising me I MUST COMPLY and …” I cannot stop them “.
    I cant keep writing letters back to them for years to come. Also has the new government changed its mind. Mandatory/Compulsory ………..we are getting confused.

• Henry says:

Bassie, just because they intimidate us by saying “we cannot stop them” doesn’t mean we cannot stop them. That’s the psychological warfare they are waging upon you as their deadline approaches. I think we can stop them dead in their tracks.

Also what has happened is that you have been drawn into this tit for tat with them. They have purposefully drawn you into that very thing. Bassie, remember that you are not at their mercy. Lock you meter box securely, put up your no consent no trespass signs and any other security measures you wish to utilise and don’t allow them to grind you down. That’s their game.

They cannot cut power as readily as they threaten to. Protect your analogue and stand your ground. They know if they overstep the mark any more that they will be burned. And they will be burned.

• Karen says:

Hi Bassie, I too am in the same situation as you. . .I have signed the petition, put up the signs, written letters and sent the installers away TWICE, but, on Friday night I had SP Ausnet ring me, telling me that it was passed through the senate late March, and by law all homes in Victoria must comply. This battle is exhausting! I have a 15 year history of heart problems, including a pace maker fitted 12 years ago and heart failure four years ago. I have my letter from my cardiologist, but the best SPAusnet will offer is to review my case and have the aerial installed at the back of the house or on top off the roof. Even in my circumstances I am being told I MUST comply . . .does anyone out there know if this is true? Surely they cant be saying it has passed through the senate and we must comply, if this is NOT the case? Like you, I am asking, in simple terms, by law do we have to allow these Smart Meters to be installed? Thank you to anyone who can clear this up for me.

• Steve says:

Karen, ask them to provide you with the legislation details. So far neither the power company I am with or the DPI have provided me with any proof that there is legislation requiring me to accept a smart meter despite me asking for it on a number of occasions. I think it is time to send them an undue harassment letter. Refer to this link https://stopsmartmeters.com.au/2013/02/26/undue-harassment/

• keith says:

Bassie and Karen; no legislation has been passed in Victoria making smart meters compulsory. An Order in Council dated 28th August 2007, by the Victorian Labor Government, stated distribution companies were to use “their best endeavours” to install smart meters by the end of 2013. Best endeavours doesn’t mean compulsory, and best endeavours doesn’t mean using bullying and harassing tactics. We have a right to refuse. Just hold your ground; keep your meter boxes locked, with cut outs in the doors so the meter reader can still read your analogues. They are bluffing and trying to bully you into submission.

• 1vimana1 says:

Dear Bassie Thoreau,
      There is no Legal way these bullies can force you to accept a dopey Electric Microwave so-called Smart Meter on your property at any time against your Will and Better Judgement. Trying to force a now proving to be World-Wide recognised Type 2B Carcinogen Type 2B Microwave so-called Smart Meter on anyone is both Illegal and immoral and a Load of Bluster on the part of these five foreign owned Electric Power Companies here in Victoria and is actually A CRIMINAL OFFENCE.

Even when the John Brumby Labour Victorian Government was in power they the then Labor Party could not even get such a LAW passed through both houses of the Victorian Parliament. See also the Victorian Charter of Human Rights and Responsibilities Act 2006. When you read this through which takes only around 15 minutes at most, you will see that under Clause 10 they the Victorian Labour past Government and this now incumbent Liberal Victorian Government cannot pass such a Repressive and Truly Wicked Law as it is in direct Contravention to this Victorian Government Charter of Human Rights and Responsibilaties Act 2006 and is also in direct Contravention to the International Charter of Human Right.s and last but not leas.t it is in direct Contravention to ‘Brodie’s Law’ which came into being in Victoria about two (2) years ago. See this on Google. This very powerful law outlawing bullying is now in every State of Australia when a girl named Broadie was so terribly bullied in the work-place that she ended up committing SUICIDE. When people are brought before the Court for persistent bullying in the work-place or at school or on the playground or anywhere at all, they can receive a prison sentence of up to ten ( 10) years.

Simply padlock your Electric Meter Box with a stout Industrial Padlock and get up the Stop Do Not Fit a Smart Meter, but first padlock the box. Just the STOP Signs are not enough to stop these pirates of the suburbs stealing the safe and passive Analog Electric Meter from your private or small business Electric Meter Box.

Also send the following this “ $1.1 Million Dollar NOTICE OF PROHIBITION OF UNDUE HARASSMENT OR COERCION FOR SMART METER INSTALLATION ”……below filled out as requested with your name and details of number of letters this foreign owned Electric Power Company has sent you. Send it and a letter advising them that you refuse them permission to ever fit a Microwave Smart Meter…..read here ( not so smart meter on your property) also add that you have now joined the Common Class Action to sue them, providing you have joined this action through the S.S.M.A and send all of these, = your letter stating that you will never allow a dopey Microwave so-called Smart Meter on your property. as well as the $1.1 Million Dollar Notice of Anti-Harassment to both the C.E.O of the foreign owned Electric Power Company for your area and another copy of same to Mr Nicholas Kotsiras the Victorian Minister for Power and Development and the same to Mr Dennis Napthine the stand in Premier of Victoria as well all by Registered Post. Please see below…….. Pease keep copies of all of these letters and the $1.1 Million Dollar NOTICE OF PROHIBITION OF UNDUE HARASSMENT OR COERCION FOR SMART METER INSTALLATION ” for Legal Purposes.

(DATE)

(INSERT OWN NAME)
      AND ADDRESS)

(Insert name and
      Address of Power Distributor)

This notice is provided to _______________________________________________ and any persons, entities,
      (Insert Power distributor name and ACN no off letter you received)
      Employees, associates, corporations, sub-contractors and agents of the fore mentioned (herein referred to as Your Company).
      Notice to agent is notice to principal.

Note: This notice is provided in addition and following a NOTICE OF PROHIBITION FOR
      SMART METER INSTALLATION (date of your first letter) and NOTICE Your Company’s
      INTENTION TO DISHONOUR AND VIOLATE PROHIBITION FOR SMART METER
      INSTALLATION NOTICE (date of your letter received from Power Distributor after) served on Your Company.
      Your Company is prohibited and forbidden from communication in any manner, with the intent to solicit for the installation of a “smart meter” or meter containing wireless communication function(s) at the following (service) address: (Insert your address). Such an act is herein referred to as a PROHIBITED ACT.
      I have lawful and legal standing and claim of right to make such a demand.

Any PROHIBITED ACT will be considered an act of undue harassment or coercion with the supply or possible supply of goods or services as defined by the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (CTH) Vol. 3, Ch. 4, PT> 4-1, Div. 5 Sec. 168; such an offence carries a penalty of $1.1,000,000 One point one Million Dollars. If Your Company is in any way directed by the Government (State of Victoria) and State of Victoria Corporation to perform such an offence, the Government and individual members are liable under tort may in addition be held vicariously liable.
      Any PROHIBITED ACT remains prohibited unless I provide a NOTICE OF CESSATION OF PROHIBITION explicitly annulling this notice, or following a sale of property and change of property title holder for the property in question.
      A copy of this notice will also be provided for their records to (via regular mail):
      1. Customer Relations, DPI,
      2. Minister Nicholas Kotsiras, Government in the State of Victoria.

If a response to this notice containing any dispute of facts or CLAIM OF RIGHT based on lawful claim of right is not received within fourteen days from Your Company, it shall be fact that you accept as fact this notice and facts contained within, and will honour this notice; such requiring no further action on your behalf.

Sincerely,

____________ __________________ _______________
      (Your SIGNATURE) (Witness to your Signature) Print Witnesses name)

• 1vimana1 says:

Dear Bassie Thoreau,
      Please note that these foreign owned Electric Power Companies cannot legally cut off your power so long as you are paying your electricity bills.

(DATE)

(INSERT OWN NAME)
      (ADDRESS)

(Insert name and
      Address of Power Distributor)

(Insert Power distributor name and ACN no off letter you received)
      Notice to agent is notice to principal.

SMART METER INSTALLATION (date of your first letter) and NOTICE Your Company’s
      INTENTION TO DISHONOUR AND VIOLATE PROHIBITION FOR SMART METER
      I have lawful and legal standing and claim of right to make such a demand.

Any PROHIBITED ACT will be considered an act of undue harassment or coercion with the supply or possible supply of goods or services as defined by the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (CTH) Vol. 3, Ch. 4, PT> 4-1, Div. 5 Sec. 168; such an offence carries a penalty of $1.1,000,000:00 One point one Million Dollars. If Your Company is in any way directed by the Government (State of Victoria) and State of Victoria Corporation to perform such an offence, the Government and individual members are liable under tort may in addition be held vicariously liable.
      1. Customer Relations, DPI,
      2. Minister Nicholas Kotsiras, Government in the State of Victoria.

Sincerely

____________ __________________ _______________
      (Your SIGNATURE) (Witness to your Signature) Print Witnesses name)

I wish i was not a sheep and that I had put a pad lock on the box.. i feel sick since and bought a tester as since and my house is small i am not well.. now am trying to remove it…you will see.. everyone has headaches~! still doing more research.. just started as worked it out myself for am healthy person and for weeks could not work out what was wrong with me.. am sleeping in caravan now and hate being home,.

3. Bill says:

They just came to re install my scam meter, and I didn’t answer the door, and I listened to them, they walked around to the meter, and one of them says, “There is a padlock on the bottom”.
    And they left and sat in my drive way for 15 minutes in their van talking on the phone then drove off. I wonder what the next step will be?

4. Joe Krawczyszyn says:

Hi and thank you for this advice. I live in Hoppers Crossing and today (2 May 2012) I received a letter from Powercor about installation Smartmeter within the next week. This letter says that ” The outcome of the government review requires all meters to be replaced by 2013″.
    When I contacted the Powercor on 1300 783 882 the lady said that “there is a ruling of the government, that requires to have smartmeters installed”. When I said that there is no such a law yet the lady ask me for my phone number so that some knowledgable people from smart meters will contact me and explain this matter. So it seems to me that there is no such a law indeed and we all have been cheated by the previous and current Government.

Where cen I get the Legal No Tresspass Sign from?
    Joe

• 1vimana1 says:

Joe,
      Just go to the S.S.M.A = Stop smart meters Australia, All the signs are there, see the right hand column, see the big red STOP sign.

5. Dorothy Parker per Matthew Nemet says:

We do not want Smart Meters in Ascot Vale either

6. Peter drury says:

They put mine in while i was out after being told not to.

• 1vimana1 says:

Peter,
      One has to first padlock the Electric meter box, then put up ones’ Anti Trespass Legal Commonwealth Signs.

7. Richard Leschen says:

Dear Editor Bendigo Advertiser,
    And all intelligent and Brave Readers in Victoria and World Wide. I have been posting this same news that Electric Smart Meters are not compulsory for a number of months. It was Brian Clarke that received that news off me and I got it off a Godly Trusted person who does not want to be named which is their legal right and due. These Victorian Overseas Owned Electric Power Companies have been telling LIES for years, saying Smart Meters are compulsory, they never have been. Be strong, lock your Electric Meter Boxes with a stout padlock like me, then post your Legal No Trespass Signs on your front fence and Electric Meter Box. Next Photograph these notices of yours for Legal Reason. You may need them in COURT. Trespassers will incur a $167,000.00 fine. Do as I advise please. Then you are the winners. BUZZ OFF, Smart Meter Installer Men, you are not wanted and never have been. Go back to your Evil Masters The Power Company C.E.O’s. I will never vote for the Victorian Labor Government or the Liberal led Ted Baillieu Victorian Government Again. They have all proved themselves to be Compulsive LIARS

Signed,

Richard Leschen.

• Rose says:

Let’s not forget that inspite of the fact that PM Gillard has gone on the public record saying that smart meters will not be forced on people or that bullying tactics of power companies should not be tolerated, the fact is that the nation- wide rollout of AMI’s is at Federal Labor’s behest. The PM first raised this at the Council of Australian Governments and has been urging the states to get on with it. Poor Australia, how to deal with the two major parties, State and Federal, as duplicitous and poor in governance as each other. Bring back democracy; put them ALL on the back bench next election

8. Carmela Leone says:

Hi Brian,
    I also live in Castlemaine.
    Thanks for sharing this. It is a useful piece of information! I intend to use it.
    Carmela