In order to make it very clear that you do NOT consent to the installation of a smart meter of any kind, including retro-fitting a digital meter with a radiofrequency communications module, here are the actions you can take.
Note that smart meters are also referred to as ‘advanced’ meters. In some cases wireless-enabled smart meters are also being deceptively called ‘digital’ meters; however, the functionality of these particular ‘digital’ meters goes beyond being simply digital as the meters also feature remote communications.
1. Lock your meter box and put a window in for the meter to be read Click here for examples.
2. Put up a Do Not Fit a Smart Meter Sign (owners) or Do Not Fit a Smart Meter Sign (owners or residents). It’s best to laminate it then fix it to your meter box (if you don’t have a laminator you can take it to your news agency and they can do it). Photograph your sign/s in place (with the time/date stamp on) so that you have evidence. A No Trespassing for Smart Meter Installers sign for fences is also available.
3. Victorians (and people from WA and NT) write to your electricity distributor and make it clear that you will NOT accept a smart meter Letter templates. People from other States, write to your electricity retailer and make it clear that you do NOT consent to having a smart meter installed; it is extremely important that this step is taken now as the right which people in these States have to opt out under the new national Electricity Rules commencing 1 December 2017 is forfeited once a smart meter is installed Letter templates.
4. Victorians, read the letter Legal Advice Oct 2012 from a barrister for advice specific to Victoria’s government-mandated smart meter rollout. Note to people from other States, many of the legal principles outlined in this advice ALSO apply to you.
5. Subscribe to email updates from this site by filling in the ‘Enter your email address’ box (located on the right-hand side of this webpage) so that you receive updates as they are posted.
6. Support the work that Stop Smart Meters Australia is doing by becoming a member of our Association. The more members that we have, the more clout we will have!
7. Write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper to get the word out in your community.
8. Put up posters on noticeboards and distribute flyers in your neighbourhood. See examples here.
9. Write, phone and visit your local MP, your upper house MPs, your State Minister for Energy and your Minister for Health and make your concerns known. If we’re not making our views known to government, then government will ONLY be hearing the lies and deception spun by industry. See How to write ‘Stop Smart Meters’ letters (and emails). Need ideas for issues to raise? Go to SSMA policy submissions to view the arguments that SSMA has been voicing. Victorians, go here to find out contact details.
10. Educate/inform your neighbours, friends, colleagues about smart meters’ potential to cause serious harm to human health. Refer them to evidence from thousands of independent scientific studies (Health). Smart meters also represent a gross intrusion into your home and your privacy (Privacy). See what these Victorians have done here.
11. Send your horror story to your local TV station, radio station or newspaper to draw attention.
12. Electro-sensitive people, a help-pack for you, including a letter template for your doctor, can be downloaded from here.
13. Contact your State Energy and Water Ombudsman if you have a dispute with your electricity distributor or retailer.
14. Subscribe to updates from reputable websites, including from: http://www.emraustralia.com.au/website/free-quarterly-journal
16. Keep saying No!
The photos below were sent into us to show how a hole was cut so the existing meter could still be read and how to lock your meter if you don’t have a meter box.Click here for our Smart Meter Awareness and Support Groups