Smart meters a concern to the population | The Ballarat Courier

Smart meters are a growing concern to the population.

There are a number of organisations which have given strong cautions about all technology that emit radiation similar to that of smart meters.

These include the Council of Europe, the European Environmental Agency, UK Trade Union Congress, the International Commission for Electromagnetic safety and the Russian Commission for Electromagnetic Safety.

Another organisation which is concerned about smart meters is the American Academy of Environmental Medicine. It has recently called for an immediate moratorium on installing smart meters due to radiation health risks.

The World Health Organisation and the National Toxicology Program have also studied the effects of non-thermal radiation on human health. Their updated results on May 31, 2011 are that, among other things, radiation can significantly increase the risk of glioma – a deadly brain tumour. They have classified RF radio frequency as a possible carcinogen, the same as lead and DDT.

Furthermore, the Bioinitiative Report of 2007 – authored by 15 scientists, researchers and health policy professionals and one of the most informative reports written on the subject – clearly documents evidence that numerous health problems are created by exposure of RF, including DNA breakage and cancer.

The report is recognized by the European Parliament and the European Environment agency.

Public fear about wireless Smart meters are well founded. They are backed by various medical organisations such as the public health departments of Santa Cruz County California and the Salzburg State Austria.

These authorities are worried about the growing number of citizens who say they have developed electrohypersensitivity. The information here shows that installation of smart meters should stop as there is evidence to show that they are dangerous for the health.

JULIETTE CALDERONE

Ballarat

via Smart meters a concern to the population | The Courier.

This entry was posted in Smart Meter and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Smart meters a concern to the population | The Ballarat Courier

1. Missy says:

I have also refused. Padlocked the box and lock the front gate everyday!

2. EJ says:

Come on Ballarat…Lets join together to put an end to this invasion of our privacy. We need a local group!

3. Albin Gaspar Mullner says:

A big thank you to all those people who initiated and still working to advance the ‘Stop Smart Meters Aust.’
    Apart from the now unavoidable victory of our aim, this has another lesson for all those who are un-caring and / or by arden servitude accept everything from above without consideration.
    In turn, we shall enligten ourselves so people’s pover would strive for nobol things only.

4. Cam says:

Bren – planning on declining. Letter only recently received advising that they are coming to my area (Nerrina)

Just after this was posted I received my electricity account from Energy australia – again without having to open my meter box. I was quite happy with the account as I just use power when ever I want. It has been extremely cold here in Warrnambool this year and I don’t work and my heater has been on constantly and I also use my Clothes Dryer whenever I want. I don’t waste power, but as I said I am not going cold either. I had to ring Energy Aust. to put a payment plan in place and he was in NSW. I asked him did he have a Smart Meter and he said they were starting the Roll-out there shortly (which we already know). He said the Smart Meters they are installing are not like the ones being installed in Victoria. He was aware how hard we are fighting against them here in Vic. So what does he mean “different”?????. I said to avoid any type of Smart Meter and to get his Box Locked and put up some signs…………………..Pam 🙂

To add – I just checked my Electricity account again and it was an ‘ESTIMATED BILL’. Fortunately, I had read my meter a couple times during the week. It says ” meter readers were unable to obtain a routine meter reading because of difficulties encountered during the normal meter reading schedule”. It goes on to say Electricity Laws require us to use our best endeavours to ensure that your meter is read at least once every 12 months for a number of reasons – most importantly to ensure that you are being billed correctly and paying for what you actually use. If access is not provided and we are required to arrange a special meter reading, a fee of up to $32.90 (incl GST) applies (for readings during business hours). If meter reading access problems at your address are due to security concerns you may wish to consider the following options:
      l. You can purchase a lock which allows access only to authorised Powercor Staff. For details of the locksmith who provided this type of lock, please contact your metering services provider, Powercor.
      2. You can arrange for a qualified electrical contractor/accredited service provider to have the electricity meters moved to a location that enable the required access.
      Then it goes onto show me how to read my analogue meter. Funny thing tho, my meter can easily be read – i have a perspex cut-out.

My BOX IS LOCKED – IT IS EASILY READ – SO WHAT IN THE HELL ARE THEY UP TO NOW. I AM NOT PAYING ANYTHING. ANOTHER FUNNY THING – the estimate they had on 26/10 was 41281 and my reading on 31/l0 was 41289 and late on 1/11 it was 41343. They were here. Only thing I can think of he must have been an unfriendly meter reader – because I have a “Friendly Analogue sign” on the meter box and also at my front door…Anyone else had anything like this??????????????? Have a Good weekend everyone…………….Cheers Pam 🙂

I AM GOING TO PHONE MY SUPPLIER (NOT POWERCOR) MONDAY MORNING – BECAUSE I WANT AN EXPLANATION.

HAVE A GOOD WEEKEND EVERYONE AND NEVER GIVE UP………………CHEERS PAM 🙂

Just Rang Energy Australia and lady said Power Cor own my Meter and can snap my Lock when ever they want. Once i n every 12 mon ths I have to make an appt. with Power Cor and be here and open my box at a cost of $32.90. Pam

• Bec says:

That’s extortion! How very unfair and rude of this company Pam to treat their customers this way. More dirty tricks, can’t trust any of them I’m afraid – this really sucks!

Bec – My Solicitor has sent off a letter to Power Cor putting me on the refusal list etc. He also has a copy of the ‘estimated account’ thing my energy suppiler sent to me. WE have to wait know to see what their reply will be. I am past taking any notice of anyone other than My Solicitor and this Website and all the wonderful folk, like yourself, who refuse point blank to have a darn smart meter instsalled…Thanks Pam 🙂

Pam, my meter was due to be read this week. I rang the company (Skilltech) doing the analog meter reading for my distributor and was told that the meter reader had already been around at the start of the week, didn’t get a reading but reported a locked meter box. I indicated that a window had been provided for this very purpose. As the meter reader was still in the area, Skilltech were able to send him round again two hours after the call. Yes, he was friendly and we sorted it out. To make the picture clear I have my station wagon parked right up against the meter box as a barricade. The viewing window is very visible when standing on the other side of the station wagon which the meter reader didn’t think to do. Being very early (pre 8am) and a cloudy day, he missed noticing that there was a (piece of perspex) window in the door of the box, thus didn’t think to go and stand on the side of the station wagon for a proper view. Also he would normally knock on the door but being prior to 8AM he didn’t want to disturb at that hour, thus he left. Now sorted and a note has been put into my account that a viewing window is available although I would necessarily rely on that note being effectual all the time.

Correction……would NOT necessarily rely on that note being effectual all the time.

Eric Thanks for that – Do you know if Skilltech read all Meters? My Meter box is easily accessible tho and I can’t understand why he couldn’t read it through the perpex cut-out. I mentioned in another comment – maybe I am being singled out from all the publicity I have had – hope not. Anyhow my box staying LOCKED . see what happens next time….duem again in Febuary 2013……………..Pam 🙂

Pam, I’m not sure if Skilltech read all meters but I think it probably wouldn’t hurt if you gave Skilltech Truganina Office a call (Tel 03 8348 9600) and asked them if they read the meters in your area (Warnambool ?). If the answer is affirmative, you should be able to get from them the number of the Skilltech office that does the readings for your area. If it’s not Skilltech, you could get lucky in that these folk may be in a position to know and tell you who it is that does the meter reading in your area. Then you just have to go from there. I may just have something up my sleeve if you end up getting really stuck with tracking down the reader. Anyway, I check the website regularly.

Eric Thanks – I will ring them tomorrow and let you know what happens. All starts again tomorrow. I will post a Comment tomorrow night……….Pam 🙂

Eric – checked that number and they read my Gas , but Power Cor and AMRS read my Electricity Acount and I refuse to contact them – What else do you have up your sleeve????????? Cheers Pam 🙂

Just to update you Pam, my bill arrived today and it was an estimated bill. I rang Skilltech who assured me the information had been updated with the distributor and advised me to ring my retailer AGL and explain the situation to them. I rang AGL and they have arranged for a new bill to be sent out based on the actual read and not the estimate. The difference was minimal anyway but it’s more a question of getting the record as correct as possible and to not leave yourself open at this point in time to any possible act of bastadry from the distributor.

Thanks Eric. I will continue to read my meter around the time it is due again, photograph it and see what happens. I will not open my box unless I am home. If it has to be by appointment with Power Cor. so be it. As I am a Widow, I will make sure someone is here as well. (in case they try to install a bloody meter). If I have to pay the $37.90 fee I will then I am going straight to the paper again. $37.90 x thousands of Power Cor customers who do not want a darn smart meter. Do the Sums – They are making a fortune out of all these $37.90 fees, when it is not necessary. I have the cut-out and perspex signs everywhere. As I said I have been singled out because of my publicity. I will Never give in. Have you seen John Cornishes’ Video.??? on one of the more recent posts ….Cheers Pam 🙂

6. Juliette says:

Thank you for your comments on my letter to the editor .I am not a journalist alas , but a very concerned resident who is aware that smart meters are being rolled out across Ballarat .

I hope by writing letters it may make people aware .

7. Freddie says:

Juliette,
    your letter is very well written and encapsulates the truth about wireless smart grids. It should be a powerful call on the Victorian Government to act on its DUTY OF CARE towards the taxpayers they are supposed to be serving. The alternative will leave blood on their hands.

8. John Cornish says:

Wireless smart meters may well prove to be the scourge of the 21st century, and adversely affect the health of whole populations. The Victorian Government has fallen into the abyss of moral decay by not halting this smart meter madness.
    “It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.” – Jiddu Krishnamurti

• Cedar Wilde says:

I agree John, I think they will be the scourge you say. As the radiation is cumulative it won’t be 3% (only 3% they say!!) but will eventually be going on for 100%, though many of those people will be gone before then – if the government continue to push this through.

Another Journalist who has the Guts to write what she feels Thank You Juliette. God almighty WHY can’t this be SETTLED ONCE AND FOR ALL????? LABOUR OR LIBERAL MINISTERS NEED TO FACE THE PEOPLE IN A DEBATE ABOUT THESE BLOODY THINGS,(invite them ro the forum), SO WE CAN HAVE A REST FROM IT ALL…..EVERYONE HAVE A GOOD WEEKEND AND JUST MAKE SURE YOUR SIGNS ARE IN PLACE AND YOUR BOXED LOCKED……………………CHEERS PAM 🙂

10. 1vimana1 says:

Fantasticly powerful letter from JULIETTE CALDERONE,
    One of the best letters I have read for a long time regarding the true dangers of the so-called Microwave Smart Meters.

Congratulations Mrs Juliete Calderone.

11. Bren says:

I am so very concerned about this meter and i hope others in Ballarat will actively resist having it installed–this is a health issue that can not be overlooked.