Beware – ‘Silent’ installation of smart water and gas meters

A ‘silent’ installation of smart (AMI capable) water and gas meters is in full swing in Victoria and parts of NSW.

Most current models are ‘pulse ready’, meaning that, even if they do not currently transmit data wirelessly, they can be retrofitted with a module to do so at any future time.

Some residents are blocking access to their old meter so it cannot be accessed for retrofitting or replaced altogether. It is not recommended to do so without first obtaining professional advice.

Via: EMR Aware June newsletter

This entry was posted in Smart Meter and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Beware – ‘Silent’ installation of smart water and gas meters

1. Miro says:

and here’s the proof. This apartment building in StKilda, completed a year ago has the works. I’d hate to live here.

I happened to come across a disturbing youtube clip called Nasa: The end of Mankind. The clip speaks about RF Radiation and a future war document that was found. In light of what has happened in Victoria, this is not far fetched. If i had seen this clip 5 years ago i would never have believed it. As soon as Rf Radiation was mentioned it became believable.

We had a a new water meter put in two years ago, we did not ask for it. I stood there while it was installed. I was told by Yarra Valley Water that they do install water smart meters, but only for homes where they can’t access the meter. This is part of the reply that i got.

Thank you for your call/email to YVW regarding the replacement of the water meter at your property. Your existing meter is a mechanical design meter and it is our usual practise to replace like for like, so the new meter will be almost identical to your existing one, made by the same manufacturer, using the same mechanical technology to measure water usage.
    The only time that we would look at installing a remote meter would be if there were access or safety issues at the property eg. if the meter was behind a locked gate or if the meter was inside a field with bulls in it etc.. However, I can see that YVW has never had a problem obtaining meter readings at your property so I can assure you that a remote meter will not be installed.

4. Phillip Kahle says:

There was a metal hood on our water meter, but it was taken last time they upgraded, so possibly a tactic to stop people using the hoods for future lock ups.

Also there were stories the brass used in modern meters are partly radioactive due to the metal and device coming from India where the brass is recycled from nuclear power plants and melted into the pool.

5. Paul says:

Here we go again. Lock up your existing (analogue) meters before it’s too late!

6. onlinedrifter says:

I have both the new gas meter and the new water meter. I will have to have a closer look at my gas meter to see if it can be retro-fitted with an AMI device but I know that my new water meter can.

Click on the link below, then click on the “Tapping In Customer Newsletter 2014/15 Number 4” link to see the type of water meter I have. The only difference is that mine is plain brass in colour and does not have an AMI transmitter.

Hope this helps.

7. Ruby Q says:

Now I’m scared, very scared. It’s enough to have an electricity smart meter on the premises. Ever since the smart meter was installed I have become adversely affected by EMR and I tend to react more within my own home than elsewhere – but not all the time. I don’t know if any one else has experienced this but periodically, for a few days up to a week or so, my house becomes like a microwave oven. Since purchasing an Acoustimeter I have discovered that for a period of time each month or so there are constant signals in the house but not outside of the house. They occur every 10-30 seconds and can be anywhere from 0.2 v/m to in excess of 6 v/m. I swear it is the house wiring and that it’s somehow connected to the smart meter. It’s horrendous and during these times I become very unwell. Would love to know if anyone can shed any light on this at all.

• Stop Smart Meters Australia says:

Ruby, radiofrequency transmissions from the smart meter can couple onto the house wiring which then acts like an antenna. Normally the intensity of the signal drops off by the distance squared. This is not the case when signal is conducted over a wire.

That’s exactly what is happening to me it’s been driving me crazy I have good days and not so good days. I have had to go on anxiety tablets just to live in my home. I didn’t think it could travel through the wiring but I had my suspicions that was happening. So I guess moving is out of the question then as there is no escaping.

• Plasticlyd says:

Yes I am experiencing the same thing in my home.I have an EMF meter and there seems to be a cycle of constant signals and escalation in the RF levels for up to 7 days. During this time i feel quite ill and try to stay out of the house but that’s not easy in winter. I have enclosed my bed in a faraday cage and there is barely any activity on my EMF meter when i am in bed.

8. Peter says:

Question: where do these devises get their electric power from? Wether it is mains or battery, who pays for it? You can bet the electricity, gas and water distributors will be recovering their costs, so up goes the price of yet more ESSENTIAL SERVICES! Come on Essential Services Commission Incorporated, get off your backsides and do what your charter says you are to do. CONSIDER THE LONG TERM EFFECTS FOR THE CUSTOMER, (not the corporates) OF YOUR DECISSIONS!!!!!!!!!!!! Your legislation allows the installation of these very costly, invasive surveillance devises!

• Phillip Kahle says:

Possibly battery that is charged from water movement? If so then it’s an indicator the device will need costly maintenance from time to time. I can’t imagine they will use 20 year life batteries due to expense.

9. Robert Scott says:

I imagine this will require a connection to mains power, I generate all my own power, there is no grid connection to my house.

10. Rik says:

How do we stop them? I dont have a electric smart meter as I suffer from EHS so how can I block the gas meter from changing?

11. Nikki Hobbs says:

What do I do to stop this from going on my gas and water meters ? Please let me know ASAP…so i can stop this !! I am very angry about this and suprise,surprise how sneaky of them…

12. Brigitte says:

Could you please explain your last sentence: “It is not recommended to do so without first obtaining professional advice.” Smart Meters could only be avoided by locking up the analogue meter. Why do you change your recommendation for gas- and / or water-meters?

13. Enrico Grani says:

Hello,

A water meter installed recently appears to be able to be fitted with a module enabling wireless capabilities.

Do you know of which brands/models are silently being installed? Are they white in colour?

Thanks in advance for your reply.