Beware – ‘Silent’ installation of smart water and gas meters

A ‘silent’ installation of smart (AMI capable) water and gas meters is in full swing in Victoria and parts of NSW.

Most current models are ‘pulse ready’, meaning that, even if they do not currently transmit data wirelessly, they can be retrofitted with a module to do so at any future time.

Some residents are blocking access to their old meter so it cannot be accessed for retrofitting or replaced altogether. It is not recommended to do so without first obtaining professional advice.

Via: EMR Aware June newsletter

This entry was posted in Smart Meter and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Beware – ‘Silent’ installation of smart water and gas meters

1. Frank says:

Is there any news on this? I just got a note from AGL today talking about “The power of choice” which seems to indicate they’re getting ready to roll out the full thing?
    I’ve been to a presentation a few months ago up in BNE and they were talking about those meters that use batteries that last for at least 10 years and can transmit data every half hour or so. This is already at consumer stage, so can be mass deployed if I understood correctly

• Elena says:

Frank, the power of choice is the metering reforms. They still need consent to come on your property or they might be trespassing. They would have to be notified in writing via registered mail that they are not allowed on your property to install a digital meter or a smart meter. They have to abide by the law. As i understand it from reading about the metering reforms on this website, Victoria opted out till 2021. Some of the other states are implementing the metering reforms from the end of the year.
      This information is on this website, i am not sure which state you live in. They still need your consent. Remember they aren’t above the law and they have to abide by the law the same as everyone else.

• Frank says:

Hi Elena, thanks for the reply. I am in VIC. I’ve had a good look to see if I can find the info you’re pointing out, but I cannot find anything. Where did you read about Victoria opting out?
        Thanks a lot, much appreciate any pointers
        Frank

• Jarryd knowles says:

Frank the essence of opt out in Victoria is this. If someone comes onto your property against your wishes and to do something against your wishes, they are trespassing. If per chance they did have some powers to come onto your property and perform certain actions against your wishes through use of forceful means, such actions would not be presenting a good look in a democracy such as ours. There is no official opt out and that’s where the Victorian government has become a very evil entity. However the knowledge is there within the power companies themselves that if anything were to be done by forceful means against the wishes of an owner, that it would not be without repercussions to them and their business. It’s not an official opt out but it’s you standing up for your rights that still carries great weight. I think that even one or two of the power companies know how flawed the Victorian government has been in “mandating” smart meters.

• Elena says:

Frank, Its on the stop smart meter website.
          Victoria delays implementation of national arrangements for metering competition
          Posted on March 25, 2017 by Stop Smart Meters Australia

The Victorian government has decided that it will not transition to the new national smart meter rule until 2021. The new rule, which is intended to facilitate a market-led deployment of ‘advanced’ meters and metering competition, commences on 1 December in South Australia, Queensland, New South Wales, Tasmania and the Australian Capital Territory
          This is on this website, have a look at more posts, that’s where the information is.
          The letter you got is a notice and if this was going to start in Victoria you would have to notify AGL that they cannot enter your property to install a smart meter or digital meter if that is your wish. Since Victoria has opted out i don’t understand why AGL has sent this notice to you, the only reason i can think of is that they sent to all their customers. Its misleading as i got the same notice, the metering rules or whatever they are don’t start in Victoria till 2021, that is what i read on this website. This information would be correct.
          Look at the More Posts on this website you will find the information or email Stop Smart Meters and get the information.
          This is on this website.
          Delaying implementation of the new rule means that Victorians continue to lack the opt-out rights accorded to other consumers.
          Smart meters by stealth
          Posted on November 21, 2016 by Stop Smart Meters Australia

The Australian Energy Market Commission (AEMC) made a new rule last year which is intended to “open up competition in metering and facilitate a market-led deployment of advanced meters”. The new arrangements commence on 1 December 2017 in South Australia, Queensland, New South Wales, Tasmania and the Australian Capital Territory
          i hope this helps you keep your meter box locked. Perhaps AGL can provide the paperwork to show Victoria has implemented the metering competition.

• Elena says:

Frank here is some more information for you from the Australian Energy Council website.
          Competition among meter service providers will come into effect in December this year. The exception will be Victoria.The Victorian Government opting out of the metering competition reforms last week, and delaying any decision that would open up competitive metering of electricity in households until 2021.
          This information is on the Australian Energy Council’s website.
          Just keep your meter box locked and you now have information if AGL say anything to you about smart meters. Victoria has opted out till 2021 end of story. AGL can look up this information themselves.

2. Miro says:

and here’s the proof. This apartment building in StKilda, completed a year ago has the works. I’d hate to live here.

I happened to come across a disturbing youtube clip called Nasa: The end of Mankind. The clip speaks about RF Radiation and a future war document that was found. In light of what has happened in Victoria, this is not far fetched. If i had seen this clip 5 years ago i would never have believed it. As soon as Rf Radiation was mentioned it became believable.

We had a a new water meter put in two years ago, we did not ask for it. I stood there while it was installed. I was told by Yarra Valley Water that they do install water smart meters, but only for homes where they can’t access the meter. This is part of the reply that i got.

Thank you for your call/email to YVW regarding the replacement of the water meter at your property. Your existing meter is a mechanical design meter and it is our usual practise to replace like for like, so the new meter will be almost identical to your existing one, made by the same manufacturer, using the same mechanical technology to measure water usage.
    The only time that we would look at installing a remote meter would be if there were access or safety issues at the property eg. if the meter was behind a locked gate or if the meter was inside a field with bulls in it etc.. However, I can see that YVW has never had a problem obtaining meter readings at your property so I can assure you that a remote meter will not be installed.

5. Phillip Kahle says:

There was a metal hood on our water meter, but it was taken last time they upgraded, so possibly a tactic to stop people using the hoods for future lock ups.

Also there were stories the brass used in modern meters are partly radioactive due to the metal and device coming from India where the brass is recycled from nuclear power plants and melted into the pool.

6. Paul says:

Here we go again. Lock up your existing (analogue) meters before it’s too late!

7. onlinedrifter says:

I have both the new gas meter and the new water meter. I will have to have a closer look at my gas meter to see if it can be retro-fitted with an AMI device but I know that my new water meter can.

Click on the link below, then click on the “Tapping In Customer Newsletter 2014/15 Number 4” link to see the type of water meter I have. The only difference is that mine is plain brass in colour and does not have an AMI transmitter.

Hope this helps.

8. Ruby Q says:

Now I’m scared, very scared. It’s enough to have an electricity smart meter on the premises. Ever since the smart meter was installed I have become adversely affected by EMR and I tend to react more within my own home than elsewhere – but not all the time. I don’t know if any one else has experienced this but periodically, for a few days up to a week or so, my house becomes like a microwave oven. Since purchasing an Acoustimeter I have discovered that for a period of time each month or so there are constant signals in the house but not outside of the house. They occur every 10-30 seconds and can be anywhere from 0.2 v/m to in excess of 6 v/m. I swear it is the house wiring and that it’s somehow connected to the smart meter. It’s horrendous and during these times I become very unwell. Would love to know if anyone can shed any light on this at all.

• Stop Smart Meters Australia says:

Ruby, radiofrequency transmissions from the smart meter can couple onto the house wiring which then acts like an antenna. Normally the intensity of the signal drops off by the distance squared. This is not the case when signal is conducted over a wire.

That’s exactly what is happening to me it’s been driving me crazy I have good days and not so good days. I have had to go on anxiety tablets just to live in my home. I didn’t think it could travel through the wiring but I had my suspicions that was happening. So I guess moving is out of the question then as there is no escaping.

• Plasticlyd says:

Yes I am experiencing the same thing in my home.I have an EMF meter and there seems to be a cycle of constant signals and escalation in the RF levels for up to 7 days. During this time i feel quite ill and try to stay out of the house but that’s not easy in winter. I have enclosed my bed in a faraday cage and there is barely any activity on my EMF meter when i am in bed.

9. Peter says:

Question: where do these devises get their electric power from? Wether it is mains or battery, who pays for it? You can bet the electricity, gas and water distributors will be recovering their costs, so up goes the price of yet more ESSENTIAL SERVICES! Come on Essential Services Commission Incorporated, get off your backsides and do what your charter says you are to do. CONSIDER THE LONG TERM EFFECTS FOR THE CUSTOMER, (not the corporates) OF YOUR DECISSIONS!!!!!!!!!!!! Your legislation allows the installation of these very costly, invasive surveillance devises!

• Phillip Kahle says:

Possibly battery that is charged from water movement? If so then it’s an indicator the device will need costly maintenance from time to time. I can’t imagine they will use 20 year life batteries due to expense.

10. Robert Scott says:

I imagine this will require a connection to mains power, I generate all my own power, there is no grid connection to my house.

11. Rik says:

How do we stop them? I dont have a electric smart meter as I suffer from EHS so how can I block the gas meter from changing?

12. Nikki Hobbs says:

What do I do to stop this from going on my gas and water meters ? Please let me know ASAP…so i can stop this !! I am very angry about this and suprise,surprise how sneaky of them…

13. Brigitte says:

Could you please explain your last sentence: “It is not recommended to do so without first obtaining professional advice.” Smart Meters could only be avoided by locking up the analogue meter. Why do you change your recommendation for gas- and / or water-meters?

14. Enrico Grani says:

Hello,

A water meter installed recently appears to be able to be fitted with a module enabling wireless capabilities.

Do you know of which brands/models are silently being installed? Are they white in colour?

Thanks in advance for your reply.