Not very smart | Star Dandenong News

CITY of Greater Dandenong is continuing a campaign against smart meters, despite legal advice that they can’t stop them from being installed.

At their Monday 25 February meeting, councillors agreed to find out what it would cost to have electromagnetic and radiation measurements taken at the five council sites with smart meters.

Paperbark Ward councillor Peter Brown moved the motion and asked for it to return to a council meeting no later than May.

“This is asking for a costing before we hit the go button,” he said.

Councillors also voted, by a narrow margin, for Mayor Angela Long to tell Energy Minister Michael O’Brien the council opposed smart meters “because of environmental and human health and safety concerns and supports the rights of residents to opt out of smart meter installation”.

The letter to Mr O’Brien will also ask him “to be guided by precautionary principles in his decision-making” and improve communication on the roll-out to Greater Dandenong residents and ratepayers.

Councillors received requests from residents to stop digital smart meter installation because of concerns about their health and safety impacts.

In September this prompted the council to formally register its opposition to smart meters and commit to supporting a proposed class action against the roll-out through the Municipal Association of Victoria (MAV).

When this proposal was defeated, the council sought advice on running its own class action but was told it would be very expensive and unlikely to succeed.

So in December the council sought legal advice on its right to refuse smart meters on its property.

“Council is going to provide leadership in this matter,” Cr Brown said.

“Is this an electrical form of asbestos?”

But advice from solicitors was that the council could not opt out of the roll-out.

The distribution company is required to use its “best endeavours” to install smart meters and customers, including the council, must provide free and unrestricted access to metering equipment or risk having their electricity disconnected.

A Department of Primary Industries (DPI) spokesman said digital smart meters recorded electricity usage and automatically sent data to suppliers.

“Victorians can be confident that smart meters are safe, and Victoria’s chief health officer has confirmed this,” he said.

“The communications system associated with smart meters involves lower electromagnetic exposures than many other household devices, such as mobile phones and baby monitors.”

Do you support City of Greater Dandenong’s objection to the smart meter roll-out? Email casey.neill@starnewsgroup.com.au or call 5945 0666.

via Not very smart | Star Dandenong | Star News Group Local News, Sport, Entertainment.

This entry was posted in Smart Meter and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

47 Responses to Not very smart | Star Dandenong News

1. John Wilson says:

Hi All,
    This corporation calling itself the government of Victoria is running out of control.

Having said that, I came across an interesting comment from someone who appears to have sound knowledge, although I need to confirm it. It is alleged someone close to the government owns the largest number of shares in the company that distributes smart meters to the power companies. If this is true and this person donates to the government elections then we have some big problems with conflict of interests and other legal issues.

Until I have confirmation then I can only say it is speculation. However, all those people researching smart meter issues might find it useful to look at the backgrounds of the various player and consider the above issues. Whether it is Labor or Liberal or any other political party, does not matter, if prove then it is a serious matter with many ramifications.

2. DNicholls says:

My provider told the that my smart meter was installed on Dec 5th but that it was a manually read one and not remotely read. Is that true are there two different types?

• Jason says:

Possibly. The ‘Time-of-use’ meters installed with the earlier grid-connect solar systems performed all the functions, I’m told, of the SM other than being fitted with a transceiver. It keeps track of everything, but is still read manually.
      I was told at the time the SM couldn’t accommodate the solar system.

It’s possible that might have changed more recently; apparently SMs are made by different companies, and each provides a variation on a theme. Maybe.

On being asked SPAusnet as very evasive. However, a couple months later I received THE letter, rang them and was told that my address would be taken of the work-list because their SM wasn’t compatible with a solar system.

End of story?
      Not quite. About three months after that assurance the dogs went off and I found a boofhead from SPAusnet with a new meter under his arm and a screwdriver in his hand and ready to go.
      We exchanged a few pleasantries and I told him to piss off or I’d let the dogs out.
      He took my suggestion as the wise move to make and left, snarling nearly as ferociously as the dogs and burbling about mandates.

Since the I’ve locked them out with a padlock (for when I’m not home); one on the driveway gates I installed especially, and another at the top of the front steps, to keep anyone off the porch.
      So far so good. I’m prepared for eventual disconnection (the solar system) and am already running my daytime power-users (PC and a freezer, mostly) from a couple of extra panels (and batteries) I bought from ebay. (all the necessary components are very cheap these days and simply plug together.)

Always think outside the square.

• I hAVE IN FRONT OF ME A COPY i PRINTED OUT WHEN THE PRIME MINISTER WAS QUESTIONED ABOUT SMART METERS HER ANSWER WAS’ WELL THE DEVICES WONT BE COMPULSORY WERE NOT GOING TO PUT THAT ON ANYONE PEOPLE WILL HAVE CHOICES,THIS COMMENT WAS FROM THE PROJECT ON FRIDAY THE 7TH DECEMBER2012. SO WE CERTAINLY WILL NOT HAVE A SMART METER INSTALLED”

• Francois says:

My existing reliable electro-mechanical meter has worked very satisfactorily for many years, and I am very confident it will continue to do so for many years into the future. Unlike solid state meters, electro-mechanical meters do not suffer the ageing effects that semi-conductors do in solid state meters nor do they require constant calibration due to drift, extremes in temperature changes, pinch-off, ageing effects and other ailments that solid state devices suffer. The losses that electro-mechanical meters suffer such as copper losses, hysteresis and perhaps friction/noise are very minor compared to those of solid state meters and clearly have a higher efficiency value over extended periods of time. If you can imagine the extremes of temperatures reached in a car, they would be very similar in meter enclosures. In a nut shell, electro-mechanical meters have proven themselves over a very long extended period of time and are not affected by ailments that affect solid state meters.

3. Johnny B Bad says:

And even dumber politicians in Spring Street,
    Thanks Jeff for selling off our (and I mean OUR) SEC to the rogues of Industry.
    And Brumby & Ballieau for using Stalinist legislation in a so called Democracy. A Pox on them all.

4. Sharron says:

I certainly have no confidence in the state government decision to continue with this stupid idea of ‘smart’ meters here in Victoria. Don’t trust any solicitors who say we have no choice, if they had a choice in the UK then so should we and this is not a communist country! Keep up the great work Dandenong council. You should purchase your own electrosmog meter and take readings at the various sites, all councils could do this and it would be more cost effective. You’re a legend Cr Brown and we need many more like you – please never give up providing such brilliant leadership!!!

Another Council with
    “GUTS” representing their Electorate
    against the Roll-out of SMART METERS. Looking forward to O’Briens’ response to their letter. Don’t hold your breath waiting for a sensible reply. It will be just another heap of bulldust, saying how safe SMART METERS ARE Blah Blah. … Cheers Pam 🙂

6. I live on the Mornington Penninsula and have attended meetings against smart meters being installed in my area.
    As I am opposed to their installation , I have registered on this site.
    I would like to know what the success rate has been so far as to its opposition.
    I have had my property approached twice now in the last 6 months by dodgy looking individuals , without official documentation, driving un- marked vehicles and had stand offs with these very well paid contractors.
    I have heard these people get paid an average of $3.000 a week to use their best endeavours to convince us that installing smart meters is mandatory.
    I would like to know where I stand legally and not post my family on constant look-outs.
    Can somebody out there please inform me with the facts!,,,,,?
    Re assure me that , this is not another government stuff-up, another gamble on people’s lives ;, such as the roof insulating roll-out , which resulted in innocent people’s houses being burnt down !

I have asked my local member of Parliament to represent my case to the Minister of Energy, and as far as I know , this has being done…so what else can people do to make this a successful campaign?
    I want to know that people power can make a difference, but as long as we keep knowingly voting for individuals that don’t do anything for us, so why not this once, just stand up and have a voice on a subject that could affect you directly on your bills but ultimately have an effect on your health!

• Sharron says:

Danielle, that’s an excellent question you ask re the $3000 wage – what about the many meter readers this system is going to replace and were they on the same rate? I think not – none of this makes any sense. I can only speculate that their wage is justified because they are coming into contact with the dangerous emissions from smart meters constantly as they install them… who knows what health problems are likely to arise for them. You should read the letter posted on this website by a former installer (JO’s story) who became ill with the exact same symptoms as others are suffering from the smart meters. Keep insisting that nobody enters YOUR property with the purpose of changing the meter and educate others so that they too know their rights – it’s not worth stressing or ruining your health over. Sharron, Mt Martha.

• Jason says:

Well said, Danielle!
      Another approach is to get a little terrier from the pound; you know, the kind that yaps loudly at ANY out-of-place sound ~loudly enough to wake his companion Rottweiler or Doberman or similar, also available from the pound. There’s scarcely a more persuasive argument than a dog that looks willing to eat one’s face.

Danielle – NO ONE, I REPEAT NO ONE, can FORCE YOU or HARRASS you in to having a Dangerous Smart Meter Installed. Lock your Box immediately (perspex cut-out if possible) display all the Signs (available on this Website) especially the one with NO TRESSPASS AND THE FINE. SMART METERS are a DANGER TO OUR HEALTH, SAFETY, PRIVACY AND FINANCIALLY. Go back over the Posts. YES PEOPLE POWER WILL WIN IN THE END. INSTALLERS ARE BEING PAID TO TRY THEIR “BEST ENDEAVOURS” TO GET YOU TO HAVE A SMART METER. Go back to our FORUM held on 25/11/2012 and listen to the Guest Speakers and the two Ladies who’s lives have been ruined by Smart Meters. Good Luck and I hope this helps you a little…………………Pam 🙂

Not sure if it was the clowns-posing-as-solicitors that made those misleading comments to council or whether it was the Star journo Casey Neill that is writing misleading information.

My family have lived in Dandenong for over 35 years.
    Even though I live a few suburbs away, I still did a letter box drop of literally hundreds of our flyers in their area:
    I have secured their meter box so the analogue meter can be easily read but the meter can never ever be removed. I also did the same job on their rental property and their new tenants are very happy that they are renting a smart meter free home!
    And yes, my own analogue meter is safe and secure and can easily be read but cannot be ever removed.

8. Yve Aery says:

What sort of free or fair society do we have now that the government can do what it likes (it seems so far) and to add insult to injury, we have to PAY FOR IT! This is like living in a police state….talk about Communism – I would never have imagined life in Australia could be like it is becoming today.

• Ronald Tan says:

It is becoming a police state just find out all the things you are not allowed to own,sell or keep or even have in possesion these days whether you are innocent or not and its not just from the Police,Department of Enviroment and Department of Primary Industries will inform you bag loads more,a friend of mine who was sacked as a teacher innocently broke rules made by the Department of Education supposingly for protecting our children while trying to deal with a difficult student. Welcome to the New World Order ! Australia is the guinea pig for all sorts of experiments in control and surveillance before they are carried out in other countries thats why the governments here are very reluctant to do anything about peoples compliants about them because the orders come from Overseas and since the power companies are owned by overseas companies it makes sense then that the directive to install smart meters has come from overseas with our so called elected goverment either bought out or threatened with legal action if they did not co-operate with the directive from overseas TO INSTALL SMART METERS AT ANY COST IN EVERY HOME AND BUISNESS!

9. Kev says:

IF smart meters are safe get them- Michael o’brien and Victoria’s chief health officer to sign afidafits that they personally guarantee the safety of these safety meters. There doesn’t seem to be any lawyers with any balls out there- It is NOT law that we have to have these meters installed- and yet the laywers tell the council that they can’t legally stop them- This is dictatorship- using Gestapo tactics. The power companies do not have the right to disconnect anyone’s power unless they are in default- not paying their bill. They are in total breach of consumer laws- where are the lawyers??? And Michael o’brien is also minister of consumer affairs- Total dereliction of duty and conflict of interest.

• 1vimana1 says:

Quite right Kev,
      I mentioned many days ago that Michael O’Brien has a conflict of INTEREST in holding the portfolio for Power and the Portfolio for Consumer Affairs. Seems some people are at last rembering what I wrote in this fine site.

10. Lets take the Power Back says:

Interesting how the legal advice the council received is different to legal advice received by others. Perhaps the fact that a case like this is “untested” has lead the Councils lawyer to give precautionary advice when they have to be aware that they are representing ratepayers.
    Guess we will have to wait and see won’t we as so many of us are determined and have totally decided that we WILL NOT BE HAVING A SMART METER under any circumstances. Our rights, our choice, our home, our lives.

• How about 'No'. says:

I totally agree with you… it’s just that lawyers opinion based on their perception of how well they themselves can argue this in court. Interesting that they didn’t say “you cannot opt out” because of… and didn’t quote any law or legislation that actually backs up that claim. Sounds more like a case of Big Brother Ted Baillieu Lawyers telling Little Brother Council Lawyers; we say you can’t opt up, now behave or else??

• Gerhard says:

About the legal advice Dandenong council has received.
      I can only encourage every citizen to write to dandenong council and asked for a copy (or ask where a copy can be received) about the legal advice received. As it is a public document i can see no objections from the council side to pass that document on for inspection to the public. After all WE have electet those Counslors and they all promised a lot BEFORE the election.

Gerhard

11. dI says:

ps.. all mobile phones are different in radiation.. I got rid of my i phone for this reason.. i have problems with my ear.. i do not need one tiny bit of wi fi near me.. in my own home to complicate any bit of my health.. this is a rotten unhealthy thing to do to people. and to talk about how less radiation the smart meter has compared to this or that.. .is not good enough~!!!! who cares about that.. no many have a radiation meter tester.. i do.. and i if i pick up a tiny bit which i do. i do not want it.

• Freedom Rules says:

I agree with you 100%. It is totally unacceptable to be subjected to this kind of physical and mental torture whether one is aware of it.. or not! All we can do is try to live as simply and authentic as we possibly can, secure in the knowledge of the choice we make for ourselves and bugger what other people say. Seeking alternative living may be the only answer in my case… pity the cost of living is so high though.

12. dI says:

I do not care what ANYONE in authority says about how safe smart meters are.. because since kids at schools are wi fi ed so much.. this shows me how the records are jumbled or not updated.. and the fact that I have called authorities when i was sick..and not had one microscopic bit of empathy or correct advice..and my life has been ruined since the smart meter was installed.. i have not slept in my bedroom for months.. refuse to go back there.. so even if it was less than a baby monitor.. or mobile phone.. the point is.. in sleep you want peace total peace… and no wi if near you.. especially when you are electro sensative. Plus who has time to run around and keep doing research as well as live life and care for elderly parent.. shattered. Italy used optical fiber… Australia just keeps piling on wi fi more and more.. so upset.

Di – We all have a right to be at peace when we sleep. We as a Group all feel for you. Go to your Doctor, take some of the Posts with you and get your Doctor to give you a Certificate to say you can’t live with a Smart Meter – it is making you very ill. Then if you can either get a Solicitor or someone to help you draft a letter to your Energy Provider and insist that this Smart Meter be removed at once and replaced with an analogue meter. Tell them you want a response within 7 days – Register the letter and pay extra to know that it has been received. Threaten them with – you will go to ACA or 6.30Report etc etc with your Story. No good Writing to Minister or Energy absolute waste of your time…I will keep checking your Comment to see how you get on. Please let us all know……….Cheers Pam

13. TheBThing says:

Councils are not really Government, but they can influence by the sheer numbers of customers they have.

14. Don Maisch says:

So , Victoria’s chief health officer has confirmed that “Victorians can be confident that smart meters are safe”. What is not said however that the chief medical officer has based her advice on the advice of the Victorian radiation advisory committee. This committee has only one expert on the panel with qualifications in non-ionizing radiation. So as for the safety of smart meters it is a committee of one with the committee and the chief medical officer relying upon the expert advice of this person. That person, Ken Joyner is a telecommunications industry consultant who formerly was an EMR strategist for Motorola.

So much for unbiased advice of the Chief Medical Officer.

Don

15. Rob Crombie says:

Can you (someone) get a copy of that legal advice (and particularly the reasons the solicitors gave that advice), and publish it here ?

16. Paul & Di McMahon says:

Has anyone in our neighbouring village of Warneet had issues with their recently installed smart meter?? Would be interested to hear of your experience in regards to opposition to installation etc…………Thanks in advance.

17. Damaged says:

Congratulations to Dandenong Council. We got so ill from a smart meter that we had to sell our home of 22 years and move interstate. Do not believe the propaganda about the meters being safe. They emit microwave radiation, as do mobile phones and baby monitors. Scientists world wide are advising us to REDUCE our exposure to these microwaves. Once they are on our houses, we have no choices as we do about using other wireless devices. The radiation is cumulative. We are permanently damaged now. The ringing in our brains is constant and we are sensitised to wi-Fi. Keep up the fight and don’t submit to the lies and bullying tactics.

• Bren says:

So sorry to hear of your permanent damage. Do you mind saying what state you have found free of this— as many of us may consider moving as well and wonder where to go…..

Queensland and NSW get a choice if they want to install a smart meter not told that they have too. Many have chosen not to install and are not bullied as in Victoria!

18. Glenn says:

Does this legal advice to the council that it can not legally opt out of the roll out, extend to individual households? Can I still choose to not have the devise installed?

GLENN – Never let anyone install a SMART METER at your Property. Just go back to the Post on the Forum that was held on 25/11 last year and listen to the Speakers. Do what SSMA advises us to do and NEVER GIVE IN – KEEP YOUR BOX LOCKED AND SIGNS DISPLAYED – GET A PERSPEX CUT-OUT so your Annalugue meter can be easily read and protect it like you would your child………………Cheers Pam:-)

• Jason says:

Be aware, Pam and others, that these bastards will not hesitate to cut locks off: any locks. Better to fit the perspex and then GLUE the box shut with a simple but tough glue like ‘No More Nails’.
        Apart from it being the devil’s own job to get open, it’s impossible to do so without making a hell of a row. They’d have to carry a comprehensive toolkit, and run the risk of having formal complaints filed with the police for malicious damage/whatever.

Nil bastardo carborundum.

I didn’t use a padlock (as the mongrels carry bolt cutters) and I didn’t like the idea of cutting a viewing hole in the door … instead, I used a thick steel plate fixed with deadbolt locks inside the meter box with a hole cut out so the meter face pokes through.
          The plate only covers the meter area and the switches and breakers are accessible for emergency services to turn off the power.
          The meter reader still has to open the door to read the meter, but the zombie lobotomised smart meter installers cannot remove the analogue meter.

• Informed Choice says:

This is not the kind of legal advice I would be seeking Glenn. Think for yourself on this one… is electricity still an essential service?? Can they legally disconnect the 1000’s of households refusing to accept these trash meters and what about our human rights on this issue, in particular the right to protect our greatest asset (our home) from a whole range of threats, not to mention our familys health.. isn’t that the most important reason to keep saying NO?

19. Paul & Di McMahon says:

Not very smart solicitors as far as we’re concerned……..

• 1vimana1 says:

Spot on there Paul,
      The Charter of Human Rights formed in England in 1948 stops all citizens of all free countries of the World including all states of Australia and Victoria from being forced to accept any goods or services which May possibly cause you any harm to your body or your electrical goods. See also the Victorian Charter of Human Rights 2006 which affords you the same protection from these dangerous type of goods.

Note that nobody can force you to accept any goods or services that you feel could do you any physical harm or damage to your goods or chatells, this includes being forced to accept these now proven to be dangerous Type 2B Microwave Carcinogen Causing so-called Smart Meters which are not smart in any way at all. See the Internet on the World Health Organisation and Smart Meters findings.

See Also the Notice From Canberra for your protection against constant Bullying and Illegal Harassment from these C.E.Os of the five overseas owned Electric Power Companies here in Victoria who show no Duty Of Care for your physical healthy or damage to your electrical goods including this Careless Victorian and equally complicit Minister for Power Mr Michael O’Brien.

Commonwealth Of Australia Anti Harassment Notice is below this line.

(DATE)

(INSERT OWN NAME)
      (ADDRESS)

(Insert name and
      Address of Power Distributor)

NOTICE OF PROHIBITION OF UNDUE HARASSMENT OR COERCION FOR SMART METER INSTALLATION
      This notice is provided to _______________________________________________ and any persons, entities,
      (Insert Power distributor name and ACN no off letter you received)
      Employees, associates, corporations, sub-contractors and agents of the fore mentioned (herein referred to as Your Company).
      Notice to agent is notice to principal.

Note: This notice is provided in addition and following a NOTICE OF PROHIBITION FOR
      SMART METER INSTALLATION (date of your first letter) and NOTICE Your Company’s
      INTENTION TO DISHONOUR AND VIOLATE PROHIBITION FOR SMART METER
      INSTALLATION NOTICE (date of your letter received from Power Distributor after) served on Your Company.
      Your Company is prohibited and forbidden from communication in any manner, with the intent to solicit for the installation of a “smart meter” or meter containing wireless communication function(s) at the following (service) address: (Insert your address). Such an act is herein referred to as a PROHIBITED ACT.
      I have lawful and legal standing and claim of right to make such a demand.

Any PROHIBITED ACT will be considered an act of undue harassment or coercion with the supply or possible supply of goods or services as defined by the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (CTH) Vol. 3, Ch. 4, PT> 4-1, Div. 5 Sec. 168; such an offence carries a penalty of $10,000,000. If Your Company is in any way directed by the Government (State of Victoria) and State of Victoria Corporation to perform such an offence, the Government and individual members are liable under tort may in addition be held vicariously liable.
      Any PROHIBITED ACT remains prohibited unless I provide a NOTICE OF CESSATION OF PROHIBITION explicitly annulling this notice, or following a sale of property and change of property title holder for the property in question.
      A copy of this notice will also be provided for their records to (via regular mail):
      1. Customer Relations, DPI,
      2. Minister Michael O’Brien, Government in the State of Victoria.

If a response to this notice containing any dispute of facts or CLAIM OF RIGHT based on lawful claim of right is not received within fourteen days from Your Company, it shall be fact that you accept as fact this notice and facts contained within, and will honour this notice; such requiring no further action on your behalf.

Sincerely

_______________ ____________________ _____________________
      (Your SIGNATURE) (Witness to your Signature) (Print Witnesses name)

• Cedar Wilde says:

Maybe they are working for the opposition! We have been told that we do NOT have to have these devices installed.