129108-20130115-smart-meter

Darebin Progress Association spokeswoman Marion Harper said about six members had chosen to padlock their meter boxes, because they were concerned about exposure to radiation from the new meters.

She said since Preston Leader first reported on the association’s concerns in November, she had received several calls from worried residents.

“People have rung to say they already have them (smart meters), or they don’t want them, or to ask what can they do,” she said.

Ms Harper said she told those who phoned it was not illegal to refuse smart meter installation, as per legal advice from barrister Eugene White.

She said if people were prepared to padlock their meter box, she suggested cutting a hole in the front of the box so the meter could still be viewed.

Read the rest of the article via Residents block smart meters in Reservoir, Preston and Kingsbury | Leader Newspapers North Melbourne | Local Community News VIC | Moreland Leader | Hume Leader | Sunbury Leader | Preston Leader | Northcote Leader | Whittlesea Leader | Heidelberg Leader | Diamond Valley Leader | Herald Sun.

This entry was posted in Smart Meter and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Residents block smart meters in Reservoir, Preston and Kingsbury | Leader Newspapers

1. Di says:

I currently have my meter box locked (with a clear perspex window for readings). I have been advised that the changeover will be between 21/1 and 1/2 – so waiting to see what happens. I still can’t believe that this is performed by a “qualified meter installer” rather than an electrician – and you receive a card to say the procedure has been completed safely! This is the hub of all electricity to the house, and therefore I expext at the very least a qualified electrician and a Certificate of Compliance. But they do say that the installer will wear a branded uniform and carry ID – wow that certainly makes me feel much better!!!!!!!!! And that’s not even touching on the issue of exposure to radiation. I will continue to keep the meter box locked, but would appreciate any advice anyone may have.

DI – KEEP YOUR BOXED LOCKED AND YOUR SIGNS DISPLAYED, ESPECIALLY THE ‘NO TRESSPASS SIGN WITH THE $173,OOO.00 FINE”. IF THEY TURN UP TELL THEM THEY ARE TRESPASSING AND CALL THE POLICE. THEY CAN’T BULLY YOU INTO HAVING A SMART METER IF YOU DON’T WANT ONE. THEY HAVE TO TRY THEIR ‘BEST ENDEAVOURS’ TO GET YOU TO ACCEPT ONE. DON ‘T TAKE ANY NOTICE OF THEM SAYING IT’S COMPULSORY ETC ETC BLAH BLAH BECAUSE IT ISN’T. WHEN YOUR HOME, YES YOUR HOME AND NOT THE POWER COMPANIES IS AT RISK YOU HAVE A RIGHT TO PROTECT IT. YOU HAVE A RIGHT TO PRIVACY AND FINANCIALLY YOU WILL BE SO MUCH BETTER OFF WITH YOUR ANNALOGUE METER. THEN THERE IS THE HEALTH ISSUE – SMART METERS ARE MAKING PEOPLE SICK AND THATS THAT. JUST THROW ALL THIS AT THEM AND HOPEFULLY THEY WILL GO AWAY AND LEAVE YOU ALONE. MY SOLICITOR HAS WRITTEN TO POWER COR TO GET ME ON THE REFUSAL LIST. TO DATE HE HAS NOT RECEIVED ANY REPLY TO HIS LETTER. I HAVE A LETTER FROM MY DOCTOR AND FUNNILY ENOUGH ONE FROM POWER CORP TELLING ME I CAN’T OPT-OUT BUT IT ALSO MENTIONS THEY CAN NOT GUARANTEE MY HEALTH AND SAFETY. I WILL NEVER HAVE SMART METER. THEY CAN STICK THEIR
      SMART METERS UP YOU KNOW WHERE. NEVER EVER GIVE IN DI THAT’S WANT THEY WANT US TO DO. THERE WAS AN ARTICLE ON ACA TONIGHT – DID YOU SEE IT??? HANG IN THERE DI….CHEERS PAM:-)

2. Jenny says:

Powercor is now telling me that it is now law that the Smart Meters are installed and that we are unable to refuse. Said that the PM Julia Gillard was ill informed when she said”..the devices won’t be compulsory…”, this apparently only applies to all other states except Victoria. Does anyone know if this is in fact the situation, because although I have put them off for 12 months, they are now coming at me with this and want to install it next month.

Jenny- when the Comments are moderated I have replied to Di. so that Comment may help you also. It’s getting late and I don’t want to have to retype it. Keep your box locked and your signs displayed especially the NO TRESPASSS SIGN the one with the huge fine. That usually scares them away. The Energy Minister for NSW was on telly tonight and he stated that in NSW they have an option. Pity our bloody energy minister didn’t take a page out of his book. Too many Dollars involved here in Victoria – we are the Guinea pigs for the rest of Australia. Keep up the fight Jenny – never give in ….Cheers Pam 🙂

Jenny, it’s more diahorrea coming out of their mouth. The only way for them to get in is when YOU yourself open the door to them. That’s the very thing they are trying to get you to do when these things come out of their mouth. Jenny, you must continue to keep all the openings closed.

If anybody makes a claim to you saying that “It’s law”, get them to quote the Act and the relevant clause(s) in the Act. They will not be able to. And if they think to be smart and quote anything, follow it up. You will find that it will come to nothing.

Believe me, if there was any significant and genuine change in law in respect to the matter of smart meters, you would know about it from sources other than from the mouths of vermin Distribution Co. employees.

Jenny, the old spin “it’s law” has become the new spin “it’s now law”

Stand your ground and tell them to bugger off.
      Bullying and intimidation is what they are doing and it is illegal and against the law.
      And so is the FORCED installation of a not-so-smart meter.
      They haven’t got a leg to stand on to force you to accept a smart meter.
      Protect your analogue meter AT ALL COSTS !

• Gwen says:

Hi Jenny,
      They said the same thing to me.I asked if I would be arrested since I would be breaking the law. She said no to that but said I could be placed on a register and that the Government will eventually deal with the handful that was on the list.I did question the handful amount and she finally took it up to 50 objectors in the powercor vicinity. I also asked for everything that she had told me to be put into writing which she agreed to do but I never heard back. Put a sign on your meter box refusing the installation of a smart meter and lock the box with a pad lock. lots of ways to do this in past posts.
      All the best and keep fighting for our health and safety.

3. Ian Daniels says:

I have locked my meter box. They came the other day to install a smart meter and being locked they could not. Took a photo of the locked box, left me with some so called information and left.

I really wonder about whether we should be allowing them to take photos locked boxes or not. I think it gives them the data they need to plan and implement a large scale future break and enter campaign. The main thing is that we have taken photos of our locked meter boxes. I am now using 35mm film to take my photos in case there are any technicalities about presenting digital images in a court of law. If they attempt break and enter, they MUST be taken on.

• Ronald Tan says:

Yes use film as I am told digital photos are not admissable evidence in court. However if the power distributors do carry out a future break in and enter campaign to finalise their damned smart meter rollout on rebel customers you have all the evidence to sue or take class action against them for break and enter,trespass and criminal damage among other things and if the matter goes to the high court the awards to us can be as high as 460k per person I am told so keep all copies of letters sent by registered mail with the delivery confirmation slips make sure all signs are clearly visable and readable and photographed. If you have a lawyer willing to act for you pro bono or a friend who has a lawyer willing to act for you pro bono even better. If they want to finalise this rollout apoun us by force they will find it will cost them dearly. But it is not something too hard for them to do bolt cutters are one thing but those battery operated angle grinders will slice through the toughest lock you can install on your meterbox so they have the means whether they got the guts we are just waiting to see. The state government might give them the go ahead when it decides to “deal the handful of objectors on the list as Gwen says” If that happens we may also be taking the energy minister and the DPI to court as well.

Fabulous !
      Another analogue meter saved !
      🙂

4. raven hawk says:

all the clauses and blah blah blah refer to meters and such……however these are for meters and meters only….the smart meter is two devices in one….it is a meter and a transmitter….i have no problems if they want to change ,fix or update their meter in MY meter box on MY house, however i dont wish to have a transmiting device on my wall its is not in any clauses,contract,or agreement, i wouldnt be suprised if Ted has buddies making money of the shares in these companies making smart meter and i bet he wouldnt sleep next to one for 3 months to prove they are safe

I have a perspex cut out – signs – friendly annalogue meter man sign etc etc and a Solicitor handling this for me. My meter due to be read on 29/1. Last time I got an estimted account, My energy provider (ENERGY AUSTRALIA). I was told they couldn’t access my meter “”bullshit”. If I can read it so can the meter reader. I have been taking my meter readings for the last week and will continue to do sotill I get an account. See what happens this time. I am not having a SMART METER END OF STORY. CHEERS PAM 🙂

6. Gerhard says:

“But John Kingsley-Jones, spokesman for power company Jemena, said meters were the property of distribution businesses and could be replaced.
    He said residents were obliged to “provide unrestricted access to their meter”.
    —————————————————————————————————————–
    the power companies trying to intimidate people with a lot aof technical and law jargon – on a similar letter which mentioned section 3.3 of the electrical distribution code ans i carefully read it. Following that here is my response to my energy provider

“thank you for bringing the electricity distribution code clause 3.3 to my attention. After i read the document (i still don’t know when this document became law as it says in the first line on page 2 that it is a GUIDELINE) I could not found anywhere in the clause you mention that I have to give you access for thr purpose of exchanging my existing meter, in fact I could not even find the word “Smart Meter” in the clause you refer to. However, I assure you that I will grant you access for the purpose as outlined in section 3.3.2 you refer to. Furthermore: I will not decline access to my property to any authorised person for the purpose of reading my meter.
    May i further assure you that I will use my best endeavour to give you access “at a time which is reasonable convenient to both the customer and the distributor” (as statet in section 3.3.4) for the purpose described in clause 3.3.2.
    Would you please advise me in writing if you want to enter my property for the purpose as described in section 3.3.2 so we can agree to a reasonable convenient time for both of us and i can arrange a lawyer and independent electrical expert to be present.
    Note” I DO NOT consider exchanging a working meter wit a so called “smart meter” an inspection or a test as described in section 3.3.2.”

so far an extract from my response when United Energie tryed to intimidate my with section 3.3 and that i have to give them access to my property. I have not received an answer yet.

Good on you Gerhard. I’ve read the Distribution Code carefully also. I think the obligation to provide access remains within the confines of the existing distribution model ie. a model where supply is supply, metering is metering (and only metering) and billing is billing. It’s a picture clearly painted by the expression “supply, metering OR billing of electricity” which appears in the code itself. A so called smart meter is an integrated multipurpose (and deadly) device that supports a totally new distribution model. The act of installing such device in place of a working analogue meter is to facilitate the introduction of a totally new distribution model referred to as AMI Advanced Metering Infrastructure. Thus, I will continue to allow access to existing equipment for genuine need that doesn’t have ulterior motive but NO, I WILL NEVER ALLOW A SMART METER TO BE BROUGHT INTO MY PREMISES EVER, LET ALONE BE INSTALLED

Electricity Distribution Code is not legislation, it’s never been passed thru parliament. It’s just a private agreement between a retailer and customer. And thinking about it, I can confirm that I have never entered into an agreement with any retailer to purchase electricity as part of any distribution model other than the existing one where supply is (fixed) supply, metering is (only) metering and billing is billing.

As I can confirm that I do not want any quantities of electromagnetic radiation whatsoever pulsed through my house, through my street, through my city, through my workplace and through the houses of my friends and relatives, I can also affirm quite confidently that I have never in the past consented to purchase electricity from my Distributor under an AMI (Bloody Bastard) Distribution Model. I can also confirm that I NEVER EVER intend to enter into any agreement to do so and that I will NEVER EVER give my voluntary consent nor any form of implied consent (that Distibution companies seek to gain by deception) to purchase electricity under a different distribution model to what I am currently.

And most especialIy, I will never acquiesce to the bloody bastard methods of the politicians and the Dist Co. CEO’s.

• ingrid says:

Good one Gerhard. Thanks for sharing your letter.

7. Rob Guy says:

Reading further into the article, I find “Mr Kingsley-Jones said the State Government’s review into the smart meter program had found the devices met “all health standards and were being installed safely”. However, the final Electricity Safe Victoria report dated 31JULY2012, paragraph 1.5 says that some issues are beyond the scope of their report ;

“There are a number of issues that are beyond the scope of this report but are mentioned for completeness, these include:
    • The potential health effects of smart meters – this is the subject of separate regulatory arrangements administered by Australian Communications & Media Authority (ACMA),which incorporates exposure limits developed by the Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Agency (ARPANSA) and has also been subject to a Victorian Government review.”

It is important to remember that the Victoriian Chief Medical Officer agreed only with the Government review, not with the still-outstanding (?) ARPANSA review. Summarising, claims that “devices met all health standards and were being installed safely” appear either to be not endorsed by ESV or premature to say the least.
    Robin Guy