Smart meters locked out in Darebin – Health – News – Preston Leader

MEMBERS of Darebin’s Progress Association are encouraging residents to padlock their electricity boxes to stop smart meters being installed.

Association spokeswoman Marion Harper said Melbourne barrister Eugene White had given legal advice there was nothing illegal in refusing smart meter installation.

But power company spokesman Scott Parker said residents who locked meter boxes and refused smart meters risked having their power cut off.

Ms Harper, a Reservoir resident, said she and others who’d padlocked their meter boxes were worried about radiation from the smart meters.

“When I’m in bed, my head is near where the electricity box is,” Ms Harper said.

“They’re saying it’s safe now but this could be the next asbestos or cigarettes.”

She said there were also privacy issues and concerns it could further push up electricity bills, or force people to do their washing at 3am to avoid peak times.

“A lot of us feel very strongly about these issues,” Ms Harper said.

“When they came to install smart meters at a Greek retirement village, three women chased them down with brooms.”

Read more via HAVE YOUR SAY: Smart meters locked out in Darebin – Health – News – Preston Leader.

This entry was posted in Smart Meter and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Smart meters locked out in Darebin – Health – News – Preston Leader

1. Fitness says:

i hope you are planning to do more blogs this one was a great read

2. Nina Meiers says:

I am glad I read this because our area Is to have smart meters installed and I’m sick to the stomach thinking I was not able to have a choice. I will be locking mine tomorrow and proving a viewing area for the meter to be read.

3. I agree Pam. Same here. I got locked up in February & have sign etc. I WILL NEVER HAVE A SMART METER.cheers, Livvy, in latrobe valley

They threatened me with cutting my power off back in May and I still have it. I engaged a Solicitor who wrote to them about 3 weeks ago to have me placed on their Refusal List due to Health Isssues. To date he has not received a reply to his letter. My Box is LOCKED AND STAYING LOCKED. MY SIGNS ARE DISPLYED. I WILL NEVER HAVE A SMART METER. End of Story. Cheers Pam 🙂

Same here, I got my meter box locked up in February, with sign, padlock etc. I WILL NEVER HAVE A SMART (DUMB) METER. Cheers, Livvy 🙂

5. Gwen says:

The ladies from the retirement village have the right idea chasing them away with brooms and I’m guessing a lot of language the blokes couldn’t understand. Now this has made me laugh.

6. TheBThing says:

The legal angle is that if you lock your box you need to allow the usage data to be read without hinderance. If you fail to allow access over multiple warnings then they can disconnect on those grounds, other wise disconnections are not to happen unless their is another breach of the code and or regulations.

• 1vimana1 says:

Dear Readers it’s simple,
      Just take your own readings of your Analogue Meter. Simply unpadlock your Electric Meter box before you go to work. Sellotape a piece of white paper on your ………
      ” Stop do not fit a SMART METER SIGN, on the front of the Meter Box so as not to cover any of the words of the sign. Then take your readings as I do some 3 days ahead of the due recording date. Record the first reading on the white paper in black biro from the five dials and pointers and write that reading on the top of the paper for the first day, and date it and sign it, then repadlock your Electric Meter Box. Repeate this process for the next 4 to 5 days or more if you go to work and repadlock your Electric Meter Box every time.

If the meter reader man calls when you are away he can pick the meter readings you have recorded on the white paper and the date which suits him best. This I have done many times. He ticks the date that suited him best and writes on the paper….. ” Thanks for Keeping me in a Job.” Simple as that. Make sure you’ve padlocked your Electric Meter Box before you leave your house and go to work.

No laws have yet been passed in both the Upper and Lower Houses of the Victorian Parliament to make it ” THE LAW, THAT ONE MUST HAVE A MICROWAVE SMART METER.” Remember that under both the Charter of Human Rights written in 1948 and signed into law by the United Nations Organization also in 1948 the numerous clauses therein protect you from being forced to take any goods or services of any kind which you feel may in any way threaten your Health or Well Being in any way at all, now or at any time in the future. Note that the whole of the United Kingdom and Holland and America and a host of other Free Countries including all the States of Australia are co-signators to this First Charter of Human Rights enacted and passed into law in 1948. Note that the Victorian Charter of Human Rights 2006 offers you exactly the same protection, so you are doubly protected.

Any further questions thou hast, please feel free to phone me on 03 5352 3639. or Email Me at…….. rvimana@vic.chariot.net.au

7. EJ says:

So now they are threatening to disconnect our power if we do not permit access…democratic, I don’t think so! Bless these ‘three Greek woman with their brooms!’ 🙂 We need more residents like these woman, instead of the sheeple who don’t care about such issues…until its too late.

8. Sharlene says:

The essential services commission says they cannot cut your power off without going through some long drawn out process involving meetings etc etc. The company spokesman is using nothing more than scare tactic threats for submission, and he should know better (which i am sure he does).

• tamara hicks says:

iF THEY THREATEN TO CUT OFF THE POWER RING OMBUDSMAN THEN A REP FROM THE OFFICE WILL RING THE POWER COMPANY AND SORT IT. THESE POWER COMPANY EMPLOYEES ARE BULLIES AND COWARDS AND THE FACT IS THEY CANT AFFORD TO CUT OFF ANY MORE POWER TO PROMPT PAYING CUSTOMERS BECAUSE OF THE EXCESSIVE BILLS HUNDREDS OF PEOPLE HAVE NOT PAYED AND WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PAY THEIR BILL. ALSO THEY ARE GETTING SO MANY PEOPLE SO ******OFF THAT THEY ARE GETTING GAS FRIDGES,STOVE TOP KETTLES, GENERATORS,GAS STOVE TOASTERS SOLAR DEVICES TO RUN COMPUTERS ETC ETC POWER COMPANIES ARE NOW CONSIDERED WORSE/MORE HATED THAN THE BIG BANKS. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK. TAMARA