Smart meter safety charge laid | Herald Sun

Safety concerns: ABC reporter Hamish Fitzsimmons inspects his fuse box, where the fire began. Picture: Chris Scott Herald Sun

AN electrician has been charged after a woman suffered an electric shock from her newly installed smart meter.

Energy Safe Victoria charged electrician Nileshkumar Patel, of Ormond, with installing an unsafe smart meter.

If the offence is proved, he could face a fine of up to $30,000.

Christine McIntosh, of Highett, suffered a shock in January last year as she watered her garden.

Premier Ted Baillieu again defended the smart meters yesterday after an ABC reporter’s Northcote house was damaged by fire early on Sunday morning.

Hamish Fitzsimmons, of Lateline, was away with his two children. His wife put out the fire, which started in the fuse box.

Fitzsimmons said a CitiPower inspector denied responsibility and the smart meter was taken away.

An MFB investigation found the meter did not cause the fire, but Fitzsimmons said more widespread inspections of installed meters were needed.

Quizzed on the ABC, Mr Baillieu said he was confident the meters were safe.

via Smart meter safety charge laid | Herald Sun.

Listen to this interview where the Premier of Victoria Ted Baillieu answers questions from Jon Faine on the safety of Smart Meters http://www.abc.net.au/local/audio/2012/01/31/3419277.htm?site=melbourne

Man charged over smart meter shock – 3AW

Posted by: 3AW Radio | 31 January, 2012 – 1:20 PM

An electrician has been charged over the installation of a smart meter which caused a woman to receive an electric shock.

The woman from Highett sufferred the shock when she tried to water her garden in March last year.

Energy Safe Victoria Director, Paul Fearon, says the man faces up to $30,000 in fines for the faulty work.

The matter is listed for mention in the Melbourne Magistrates Court in March.

Listen to the interview where Paul Fearon speaks to Neil Mitchell about the case via Man charged over smart meter shock.

This entry was posted in 3AW, Electric Shock, House Fires, Premier Ted Baillieu, Safety, Smart Meter and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Smart meter safety charge laid | Herald Sun

  1. Anonymous says:

    This from down under. Why is it, that this smart meter is now a world wide problem? In British Columbia alone with a population of almost 4 million inhabitants, some 1.8 million are against this meter. Now have we got Governments that run our country, or is it the Corporations?? They are in the red for a couple of billions. Do we have to pay for their errors? We have the right in Democratic Societies (if we still are), to refuse those things and do not allow those people who install them on our properties Cozy when you think of it, the whole globe under on umbrella called
    The Smart Meter. And what about those three chips inside. Privacy, health concerns, higher billing, no possible insurance if fires are the cause of the smart meter, and I hope I did not forget anything. Heep Heep Heep Horay! for Democracy where we really have very little choice. But there is one thing they can not rule, and that is POWER IS IN NUMBERS US. SO LET’S KEEP FIGHTING

Leave a comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s