It has become quite obvious by follow up stories in the media that pressure from certain quarters is being applied in order to have the recent TV program “Wi-Fried?” retracted and the journalist who developed it censured. This behaviour is tantamount to bullying and also appears to be an orchestrated attempt by vested interests to stifle scientific debate on an issue that has a potential impact on us all.

Many of our members were also particularly upset with the response from the Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Agency (ARPANSA) to the program.  This has led to SSMA writing a formal letter of complaint to ARPANSA on behalf of the community.

One of the main concerns is that ARPANSA’s statement contains claims which are likely to mislead the public and creates an impression that does not accurately reflect scientific opinion.

The claim that “It is the assessment of ARPANSA and other national and international health authorities, including the World Health Organization (WHO), that there is no established scientific evidence that the use of mobile phones or Wi-Fi devices cause any health effects” fosters the impression that there is unanimous agreement on this point.
This simply is not true; there are other radiation protection and health authorities which consider that mobile phones and Wi-Fi do cause health effects. This diversity of opinion has not been acknowledged in ARPANSA’s statement…..

….Our members are also concerned that ARPANSA’s statement trivialises adoption of precautionary approaches by implying that this advice is only relevant to “people who are concerned”. ARPANSA’s tips, although providing a solid starting point, also fall short of the recommendations provided by some other authorities…..

The complete letter to ARPANSA can be downloaded from here Community Response to ARPANSA 22 February 2016.

This entry was posted in Smart Meter and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Community Response to ARPANSA’s statement on the ABC Catalyst program entitled “Wi-Fried?”

1. Nolan Bores says:

To Paul Barry, host of ABC Media Watch program, I call on you to resign NOW. You must never work in television again ever. You are a treacherous person willing to sell your own soul to please your ABC masters that feed you.

The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) classifies talc-based body powders as possibly carcinogenic to humans. There is limited evidence in humans of a weak association between perineal use of talc-based body powder and an increased risk of ovarian cancer.
    isn’t smart meter radiation also a possible cancer causing agent? Are we also being told that they have limited evidence and all sorts of other rubbish.
    A lady died of ovarian cancer her family said she used talcum powder The family argued the company knew about the possible risks of using products containing talc, but failed to warn consumers about them.
    Failed to warn consumers,that sounds familiar but in the case of smart devices not only was i not warned it has been downplayed. The International Agency for Research on Cancer, which is part of the World Health Organization, classifies talc as “possibly carcinogenic to humans.”
    This ladies family won the lawsuit and talc is a possible carcinogen. This is for ARPANSA and also the Department of Health. You need to all be investigated and if found guilty of any crimes sent to jail.

Jail ? Yes, but jail would only be a makeshift punishment seeing there is no Capital Punishment in Australia at this point in time.

This story was in today’s paper. JOHNSON & Johnson has been ordered to pay $72 million ($A100 million) to the family of a woman whose death from ovarian cancer was linked to the talcum powder. The pharmaceutical giant, in an effort to boost sales, failed to warn users of the potential dangers despite concerns raised by the American Cancer Society in 1999.
    Does this sound just a tiny bit familiar.?

ARPANSA’s facts don’t matter its our facts that matter.We can all make up our own fact sheet as long as it is the truth. The facts are that smart meters are not meters and are not safe, whether they cause cancer remains to seen, but this does not detract from the fact that they might cause cancer.It does not matter if they are outside, they might still cause cancer. It does not matter if they transmit for a short time, they might still cause cancer. This is a fact and ARPANSA cannot dispute this.
    It does not matter where they got the data from, these devices are not safe cannot be deemed safe and they can’t prove that they are safe, if they could they would of done this by now.
    A possible carcinogen is a possible carcinogen this is fact.

5. Miro says:

I said no, in writing and over the phone. I had signs all over the meterbox and front gate. They came in and “made an error” then refused to remove it and threatened me personally when I said I will remove it. Then they demanded access to my private switchboard to “complete the installation”. I asked them repeatedly to leave the premisses imediatelly but their staff isolate you in a corner and keep talking whilst their unauthorised installers do as they please.

Miro, don’t blame yourself its intimidating and we should all help each other not pick on each other. You should get the smart meter installers name for starters, ask the distributor for it. They will probably only give you first name but its a start.This shows them that you might be going to take action eventually.
      If you have proof that you said no, then you can put this information in a legal notice and send it to the CEO .This is for starters.If you asked them to leave your property and they didn’t this is trespassing. You said they isolated you, is this like kidnapping?. This sounds like a crime as well.
      They want people like you to give up and accept what they did, they realize people are lazy or just don’t know what to do. You said you told them no in writing and over the phone. If this is the truth, then put it in a legal notice or affidavit. Have you got pictures of your signs? Have you got receipts of your letters and also copies?
      If you have they might argue they did not receive this information, but if you have a return receipt and sent the letter in by registered mail then they got the letter because it was signed for.

• Boopsy says:

Exactly.
      That is exactly what they do.
      It seems it’s easier for them to intimidate women too. That was my experience. Absolutely disgusting behaviour.

After reading some other peoples opinions today and having gone through this myself – I say to you – don’t feel bad, not at all anymore, if you do. You’re not responsible for those peoples actions and nor is it right to be involved in any sort of physical altercation where you may be hurt.
      Asking respectfully is one thing, even putting your foot down and taking video, but physical confrontation with males intent on doing as they will, is not okay.
      You were swindled, just like many of us.
      There are lots of people who put up signs and were ignored. Some had their locked boxes completely removed from their homes, signs and all, so the meters could be put in.
      We’re not failures because we were swindled, misled, bullied, disrespected, lied to, intimidated, ignored or anything else associated with the implementation of these meters on our properties – for whatever reason.
      Anyone who tells you otherwise is someone who doesn’t know what they’re talking about.

Some of us come from a trauma background, some of us don’t, every person is different as is every persons ability to interact with aggressive, intimidating people. The fact a simple no is not respected, is not on us, it’s on them.
      Any member here who thinks it’s appropriate to give you, or anyone else a hard time for not having halted the installers, is being nothing more than a bully boy themselves.

More power to you for trying at all. For even being aware. It’s more than most ever did.

6. TLPG says:

People Power Victoria website is down. So’s the email. Urgently need to talk to the party privately.

Does Wi-Fi cause any health effects?
    It is the assessment of ARPANSA and other national and international health authorities, including the World Health Organization (WHO), that there is no established scientific evidence of adverse health effects below current exposure limits page updated: 26 March 2015

This is from the WHO’s Electromagnetic fields and public health Base stations and wireless technologies May 2006
    Conclusions
    Considering the very low exposure levels and research results collected to date, there is no convincing scientific evidence that the weak RF signals from base stations and wireless networks cause adverse health effects.
    ARPANSA has recommended links on this sheet. One of them is the WHO fact sheet on wireless technologies dated May 2006.
    IS ARPANSA USING OLD INFORMATION? The information from the WHO is based on old information and is irrelevant.
    ARPANSA are not a health authority and they need to name the health authorities they speak of, otherwise its hearsay. They also need to have first hand knowledge if they don’t it does not matter what they say.
    I would think the Department of Health would be the health authority in this case, they have the authority to issue warnings and put precautions in, in fact they have a legal obligation to do this.
    Have a look at ARPANSA’s WI-fi and health sheet and then look at the old WHO sheets.See any similarities?
    We can also copy paragraphs form sheets on the internet and present them as evidence if we want to. I am sure if we look on the net we can come up with our own fact sheet and then put it in a legal notice or affidavit and send it to ARPANSA.

I wonder if some of these people are worried about going to jail one day or losing their homes and jobs and money.Losing your wives or husbands your whole family.The Nuremberg trials will pale in comparison to the smart device trials.
    We need a Royal Commission. Its high time that these people are held personally responsible for what they say or for what they don’t say.
    Write a letter to the Ombudsman’s office and get this woman’s name for starters. Hold her personally responsible. Did you get her name?
    You need to start somewhere, it takes a lot of work, but its better than not doing anything at all, then they really do win. You might not get anywhere for a while but you will start to collect evidence which hopefully you can use one day.
    Start trying to get every single Person’s full name and job title and insurance details. Tell them why you want these details as well. You are holding them personally responsible.

9. To SSMA – I would like to reblog some of your posts. Please!

10. Tony Baron says:

Has the LNP got a grip on ARPANSA?

11. Kathryn says:

I saw the ABC Media Watch programme tonight, and how the Presenter, Paul Barry attempted to make Maryanne Demasi into a martyr for freedom of speech!! Good on her…….by exposing the truth about wi fi she has made sections of the media fume!!! The Media Watch Presenter could hardly get his scathing words out fast enough……great stuff Maryanne, keep it up!!

ARPANSA has to prove all claims if asked. This can only happen in an affidavit, where they will have the opportunity under penalty of perjury to provide evidence to back up claims.They can ignore all the letters you send, but if you lie in an affidavit you risk going to jail.
    If they do not answer with an affidavit they are in default. They are not a health authority either.
    You should of asked for a copy of the law and in writing and everything should of been recorded and filmed if possible, would these people say the same things on record.
    As for the lawyer giving you this advice, she can be held accountable if she gave you false and misleading advice.
    Don’t ever get advice on the phone, you need proof and even then this is not always enough.

13. Boopsy says:

Thanks for the link to the show the other day. I missed it when it was aired.

I thought the ARPANSA bloke looked like a real idiot. Spouting out absolute archaic bs rather than accepting the facts as they currently stand by leading experts around the World.
    How incredibly arrogant of ARPANSA to believe they know better than many other countries and experts on such an incredibly important matter.
    This EMS stuff is no joke, as you are all aware.
    I turn my wifi off and feel better. I can feel it when the stupid meter on my wall puts out a strong signal. I thought I must be imagining it and have felt quite ashamed about talking about it in case I was mocked.
    The meter at this property is directly on my bedroom wall. I asked via phone and written letter not to have it installed yet I was ignored. The appointment time they told me they were going to put this new one on was not honoured and the installation was done a day earlier by a guy who said he’d not known about any appointment time.
    He had no interest in what I had to say about the matter and he too, believed ARPANSA and the big company bs line about how it’s all okay and harmless.

This has to stop. If anyone is allowed to pull the show or forced to retract it with threats of sanction or anything else, what a disgusting disgrace it would be. Australia home of the bully boys who don’t give a f about your welfare.

People have been saying for years cell towers cause cancer. I recall a story about a cancer cluster near RMIT in the city. It was stated the large towers there caused this unusual brain cancer, yet nothing was done then and nothing has been done now.

You’ve got Waverley Gardens, where construction company Mirvac had their plans approved with the agreement of the power lines being underground. They ignored this and put them above ground (where was the council when this was being done?) and now the council committee has stated it would cost too much to rectify and would be unreasonable to ask of Mirvac, just pay the residents more money.

What a disgrace. No one in this country isd holding big business or medium business to account for their actions. They do whatever they want and they get away with it.
    It’s like people who bulldoze protected buildings in the middle of the night. Once it’s done it can’t be undone and the culprits only cop a fine. Business as usual.

I’m truly disgusted by the current situation in this country. More power to you all for fighting the good fight. I feel like I have lost mine, not being able to stop the bloke from putting it on the wall, nor gaining a favourable outcome and having the old meter put back in.

You know what I was told when I rang the company about having the old meter put back in? The woman from the distribution area told me that ‘once a digital meter is put in we are not allowed to take it out by law’. It boggles the mind.
    Going to the local law centre at the local community centre and the lawyer was not interested in anything I had to say, I kept asking questions, she kept telling me I had no choice whatsoever, every question I asked was met with a no. Disgraceful.

When I called the Elec Ombudsman the woman on the phone said I had no choice and don’t cause problems and let the meter be put in.
    So much for impartiality and honest advice.

Thanks again for all you do SSMA.

I look forward to the day I am able to again choose to have this abominable thing gone from my home.

• Rik says:

After the first attempt of installation I put a lock on my meterbox and they have tried 3 other times but as its locked they have always failed. Now the time is over I only get meter readers asking to open the meterbox to take the reading.
      I said NO to the first installer and he stopped and didn’t install it. All the others I told them NO and refuse to open the box and they just left.
      I did get a letter saying its going to get put in and I called them up and stated I dont want one on medical reasons and they said its been noted and they wont put in a meter and they have never tried since.

If you were home all you had to do was say NO and they should’ve stopped and not installed it. IF they did keep going then I guess you wernt home or you didn’t put up much of a fight as I never had a problem with any installers.

• Boopsy says:

I’m glad things were so easy for you Rik.
        I live in a rented property, I’m not able to lock the box.

I went to war in the previous property, took video because they weren’t listening to me. Had the company call me and threaten me on the phone and it ook a very long time that day. Eventually the guy returned the old meter after initially threatening to turn my power off unless I allowed it to be installed.
        I still have the film.
        But hey, you know best right? I mustn’t have put up much of a fight.
        It’s not so easy for some as it obviously was for you.
        When I’m at home by myself and an aggressive, defensive male turns up at the door of my rented property to install a meter and tells me if there had been a sign it would have been ignored and proceeds to go ahead even though I say I don’t want it- I’m not going to enter into a physical altercation with him.
        It was easier in the previous location as there were flats, this is a house.

Perhaps it would be best if you didn’t judge others experience against your own.
        From what little you’ve said, you’ve not had to fight at all. Far cry from my experience.
        In fact aggressive males trigger the hell out of me.