Smart Meters in Victoria: Information and Concerns UPDATED

This is an updated paper that gives an overview of the situation regarding smart meters in Victoria. It includes substantial new material, and covers recent developments within Australia as well as overseas.  Issues addressed include:

• Which costs have never been included in a Victorian smart meter cost benefit analysis and who will be responsible for paying these costs.
  • Why actual traffic on smart meters may be thousands of times higher than what power distributors have told us.
  • How the Australian radio frequency standard fails to protect us.
  • Why the introduction of Home Area Networks poses an additional threat to health.
  • What is the legal situation in Victoria.
  • How the introduction of smart meters contravenes Victorian and international human rights.

Over five pages of references, most of which are available on-line, are included.

Stop Smart Meters Australia

View original post

This entry was posted in Smart Meter and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to Smart Meters in Victoria: Information and Concerns UPDATED

1. Margie says:

I am searching for an avenue to persue in regards to placing up the $167,000 letter regarding trespassing on our metre box and the smart metre was installed recently while I was at work. The metre reading man kindly noted the device and called me over a week or 2 ago. He explained the installing companies have been told to cut padlocks, ignore signs, and simply install. He mentioned other finer details but at this point, I would like to know who would or what would be the best course of action. I am disgusted the signs were ignored and our home now has one of those awful devices. Is the best option at this stage, a damn good solicitor?

2. Sean McQualter says:

I just got my letter for meter replacement in Canberra, where do i find these (no smart meter ) stickers on this site please..

3. Matt says:

I initially resisted Powercor’s attempts to install a ‘smart’ meter at my house. I then had one of their rep’s tell me it was illegal to refuse one & I could not find any clear law saying I had the right to refuse.
    I believed their lies & said they could install one but it had to be done while I was at home so I could check their credentials & watch the work being done. After 3 appointments have been missed in the last 12 months, I’ve had time to do a bit more homework on the matter & thanks mainly to this website, I now know I can legally refuse. I’ve locked my meter box, installed a window & a ‘no smart meter’ sign. I called Powercor today & told them not to bother trying to install one as I object for health & safety reasons.
    The woman got very defensive & insisted it was the law & I had to have one. She says Powercor own my current meter & can do what the want with it including removing it. In the end she said if I refuse a ‘smart’ meter I will probably have my power cut off until I agree to a ‘smart’ meter.
    Is this right???

• Sharron says:

More LIES! Don’t phone them. insist they contact you by mail only or preferably not at all. Have your anti-trespass signs displayed as well. There is no legislation as this woman (puppet) implies.

• 1vimana1 says:

Sharron,
        Send this Notice of Undue Harassment as well by Registered Post. It is the ACCC $1.1 Million Dollar Notice I have used successfully so far.
        Be sure first of all to put in the details required before sending it off.

(DATE)

(INSERT OWN NAME)
        (ADDRESS)

(Insert name and
        Address of Power Distributor)

NOTICE OF PROHIBITION OF UNDUE HARASSMENT OR COERCION FOR SMART METER INSTALLATION
        This notice is provided to _______________________________________________ and any persons, entities,
        (Insert Power distributor name and ACN no off letter you received)
        Employees, associates, corporations, sub-contractors and agents of the fore mentioned (herein referred to as Your Company).
        Notice to agent is notice to principal.

Note: This notice is provided in addition and following a NOTICE OF PROHIBITION FOR
        SMART METER INSTALLATION (date of your first letter) and NOTICE Your Company’s
        INTENTION TO DISHONOUR AND VIOLATE PROHIBITION FOR SMART METER
        INSTALLATION NOTICE (date of your letter received from Power Distributor after) served on Your Company.
        Your Company is prohibited and forbidden from communication in any manner, with the intent to solicit for the installation of a “smart meter” or meter containing wireless communication function(s) at the following (service) address: (Insert your address). Such an act is herein referred to as a PROHIBITED ACT.
        I have lawful and legal standing and claim of right to make such a demand.

Any PROHIBITED ACT will be considered an act of undue harassment or coercion with the supply or possible supply of goods or services as defined by the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (CTH) Vol. 3, Ch. 4, PT> 4-1, Div. 5 Sec. 168; such an offence carries a penalty of $1.1,000,000:00 One point one Million Dollars. If Your Company is in any way directed by the Government (State of Victoria) and State of Victoria Corporation to perform such an offence, the Government and individual members are liable under tort may in addition be held vicariously liable.
        Any PROHIBITED ACT remains prohibited unless I provide a NOTICE OF CESSATION OF PROHIBITION explicitly annulling this notice, or following a sale of property and change of property title holder for the property in question.
        A copy of this notice will also be provided for their records to (via regular mail):
        1. Customer Relations, DPI,
        2. Minister Nicholas Kotsiras, Government in the State of Victoria.

If a response to this notice containing any dispute of facts or CLAIM OF RIGHT based on lawful claim of right is not received within fourteen days from Your Company, it shall be fact that you accept as fact this notice and facts contained within, and will honour this notice; such requiring no further action on your behalf.

Sincerely

_______________ ____________________ _____________________
        (Your SIGNATURE) (Witness to your Signature) (Print Witnesses name)

4. Eric says:

The “benefits” of smart meters on electricity distribution

Supply -> No supply
    Metering -> Irradiation and Sickness
    Billing -> Exorbitant Power Bills

the smart meter brings all these together integrated as one and then shows it’s versatility by invading our privacy, compromising our personal details, potentially burning our house down, taking away all our democratic rights and all along the way rubs our noses in the dirt

Piece of #%$@ device and piece of #%$@ people pushing it

5. John Wilson says:

They do not own it legitimately. It was stolen from the people by an invalid government using the 1975 Victorian constitution and the Local government Act 1989, both documents are false, as the still lawful Victorian constitution is the 1855 as it has never been repealed. The power companies are still trying to steal property that does not belong to them by claiming they had bought all of the electricity grid and facilities. The government has acted outside of its authority to even sell or privatise the system. Also, in many instances the landowner/landlord had to pay to install the meter in the frst place so it belongs to the property. We need to stand firm and it may reach a stage when some of the players can be charged with quite a few crimes including treason and sedition. In know I am repeating my comments but it seem necessary to do this until people understand that the people of the Commonwealth are the government and parliaments are their servants. The people did not give the parliament the authority to sell off the people’s assets and lands.

Joyce – just keep your box locked and signs displayed and if they come near you tell them to leave your premises as they are tresspassing. Make sure you have the sign with the huge fine. All signs available on this Website. You will never get a reply to your letters to them. My Solicitor still waiting and he wrote to them before Christmas to have me put on the refusal list. Hope the Meeting on 5/5/2013 goes well. Unfortunatly I will not be able to attend, but will no doubt this website will let us all know how it went. Cheers Pam 🙂

• Steve says:

Pam, you probably would receive a response if you organized to have the letter posted on this website. I had sent letters to the Minister of Energy, Powercor and Victorian Chief Health Officer 3 – 4 months ago. I suspect that it was only after having SSMA publish some recent blogs of mine on this website that I have suddenly received responses from all of them within days of each other. Of course it is quite plausible that all of the above are being inundated with letters and it takes time to respond to them all. My suggestion to people is not to give up and continue/start writing letters to the minister of energy, DPI and the Victorian Health Department. If you are having health issues that you feel are directly related to smart meter emissions then writing a letter to ARPANSA and sending a copy to ACMA would also be advisable. It is the only way that they can gauge the level of discontentment in the community on this issue short of having people protesting.

Steve – I have done just about all I can do. It all got too hard for me, that is why I engaged a Solicitor. I can no longer afford to keep having him write letters when they don’t respond. I will speak with him and ask him for an copy of what he sent to them and see if SSMA will post it to this website for me. Rest assured Steve I WILL NEVER GIVE UP. Looking forward to the Outcome of the 5/5/2013 Meeting. Cheers Pam 🙂

Steve – SSMA have copy of letter, will leave it up to them as to whether they Post it or not. I sent off an Email to them today. Cheers Pam 🙂

• Steve says:

“it all got too hard for me”. I know where your coming from when you say this Pam and is exactly what the Government and Power Companies are hoping for. As individuals we are unlikely to effect change. It is only as a group will we stand a chance. We cannot afford to give up on this issue because there is too much at stake. Not only is our health at risk but so is our privacy and freedom of choice. It is unfortunate that as time passes I am seeing the continual erosion of our democratic rights. It is time to give the Government a message that enough is enough. Rather than making unilateral decisions and dictating how things are going to be, the government should be engaging the public especially when these decisions effect our rights to privacy, right to chose and our quality of life. May 5th is a good opportunity to do this with the annual May day march.

Steve. I have been fighting for over 2 years now. I am a Widow in my late 60’s, living in the same town as our New Premier. I wrote to him ages ago and he referred me to Power Cor. I spoke to him over 3 years ago when Flouride was introduced into our water and he thought it was a good idea. He is a dead loss when it comes to Smart Meters. I will not be able to attend the Meeting on 5/5/2013. I have a really bad back and have now hurt my hip and am on crutches. I have also had a skin reaction to our water being “disinfeccted” back on 23/2 with chlorine. I am fighting our local water supplier over this as well. I would also like to add I have never been the same person since Smart Meters were installed in my street – I am surrounded by them. We have no Group in Warrnambool and I rely completely on this Website for information. I have had two Artricles printed in our Local Paper and there will be another one shortly. Steve, like all of us I just want peace – I will Never give in and never ever thought I would have to fight so bloody hard to protect my annalogue meter………………………. Pam 🙂

7. Joyce says:

We are now getting letters to say we must allow the contracters access to fit the offending meters even though we have asked for evidence that they are harmless appliances to have fitted to our homes…We are being ignored.

• Gerhard says:

hi Joyce
      the distributer is referring to the Electricity Distribution Code and specifically to section 3.3. To start with – the electricity distribution code is not a law – it is a Guideline (it says so on page 2). Now to section 3 – it says in this section that you must give excess FOR THE PURPOSE OF: THE INSPECTION OR TESTING and a few other things it does not say for the purpose of installing a smart meter. in fact – within the complete section it does not mention the word smart meter. it also says that in case other than emergencies a distributer must use best endeavours to access a customers premise at a time which is reasonable convenient to both the customer and the distributer. I have advised my distributer to notify me in writing so that we can work out a reasonable and convenient time if he wishes to enter my promise for the purpose as described in that section. I also told my supplier that I need a notice well in advance as I have to arrange a qualified electrician and a lawer present to check that the person is qualified and does nothing else that inspect or test.
      I got the same letter month ago and after my reply have not received an answer yet *G*
      if you wish send me an e-mail and I send you a copy of my letter.
      don’t give in – they bluffing – keep your meter box locked
      and remember
      SUNDAY MAY 5th Protest against Smart meter
      Gerhard

• John Wilson says:

I would appreciate a copy. It sounds a useful strategy in our fight against both the companies and the government. I have been working on the Constitutional approach and how governments have been using invalid and false documents.
        I am hoping to receive a copy shortly of a letter sent by the Attorney General that is full of false or misrepresented law being used to confuse and make it easy for the government to coerce the public into meeting its policies.

• graeme says:

Hi gerard ,if you would mind, could you send me a copy of the letter that you sent. thankyou
        JEMENA sent me a letter referring to the section 5.3 of the Electricity Distribution Code
        It states;a distributers right to interrupt supply; it is noted in this section that a Distributor may interrupt supply at any time for augmentation of the distribution system.
        They follow on and state;
        Augmentation is defined in section19 of the Electricity Distribution Code as the process of upgrading the Distribution System by replacing or enhancing existing plant and equipment or by adding new plant or equipment and includes modifying any of the Distributor’s fixed assets.
        What are your thoughts of these sections.

• Gerhard says:

hi – I have to read those sections – but questions I would asked – WHERE does it say installation of smartmeter ??? they can upgrade / replace my analog meter with a new analog meter anytime. do not go into an argument about law and definition with your distributor – again I still would asked a few questions – send me an e-mail (as everybody else can) and I am happy to forward a copy of my letter

• Geoff says:

Hi Gerhard,

Kind regards
            Geoff

• Sonia says:

I would love a letter too. I padlocked my meterbox and cut a window on it to read the meter and have stop smart meter signs on it. It worked for about a year. Now SP Ausnet wants me to contact them to get a smart meter installed.I’m not too sure what to do.

Just because you receive a letter asking you to contact SP Ausnet doesn’t mean what you’re doing isn’t working anymore. Just continue to stand your ground. You’re in no different a position to anyone else here. From SP Ausnet’s point of view, the fact that you have not sent them a letter on non consent is probably the reason why they have sent you the request to contact them. At this stage it possibly wouldn’t do your cause any harm by sending a letter and making it clear to them that you “do not consent”. Having then done that it would put you in a position that is no different to anyone else on this website. If they can’t get anywhere by contacting us and even harassing and intimidating us the way they have, do you think they can get anywhere by asking us to contact them. They really believe that some people are that stupid……”contact us so we can install a “smart meter” on your property”. It’s like saying “please lay your head on the chopping block for us so that we can bring the axe down”. My thought Sonia is to send them a letter of prohibition and continue to keep your box locked and signs displayed. Do not even acknowledge the letter they sent asking you to contact them. Don’t engage with them on their terms. Send them your letter on your own terms only. And don’t fear anything they say, they are just devious conniving rats.

• Noel says:

within limits I would say……..as long as it all remains within the boundaries the EXISTING Distribution System.

AMI is a new system altogether.
          Consent required !!!

• Jason says:

And that’s not all; it has new and different motives.
            Talking to a mate in the trade ( Engineer,Senior Consultant (SEC) and since, Technical Advisor to the current government/industry) who says there’s a whole different agenda to the AMI rollout.
            Nothing to do with savings, efficiency, better use of technology, etc.
            He says it’s all about increasing the power of State control of the riff-raff (his words).

Asked about what he was doing about the installation at his house. Nothing, he said; there are ways of getting around it..
            Wouldn’t say more, but I believe he’s going to put his house on the market for ‘non-related reasons’.
            Go figure.

• Gerhard says:

I have read section 5.3 of the Electricity Distribution Code. To start with – on page 2 it reads “Enquiries concerning the currency of these Guideline should be addressed to – ” Well, its a Guideline and not law. I could not find the word Smart meter at all within the section 5.3. All reason mentioned in this section for a distributers right to interrupt supply are in my opinion not relevant for the installation of a smart meter.

5.3
          A distributor’s right to interrupt supply
          A distributor may interrupt supply at any time for the following reasons:
          (a) planned maintenance, repair, or augmentation of the distribution system;
          (b) unplanned maintenance or repair of the distribution system in circumstances
          where, in the opinion of the distributor, the customer’s electrical installation
          or the distribution system poses an immediate threat of injury or material
          damage to any person, property or the distribution system;
          (c) to shed energy because the total demand for electricity at the relevant time
          exceeds the total supply available;
          (d) as required by NEMMCO, VENCorp or the system operator;
          (e) the installation of a new supply to another customer;
          (f) in the case of an emergency; or
          (g) to restore supply to a customer.

Gerhard

• Freddie says:

The installation of a radiotransmitting antenna in someone’s private property without their informed consent is illegal in this country. It think the correct term to describe such action would be ‘spying’. Power companies are betting everything on the interpretation of the word ‘consent’, ie. they force/bully people into giving their consent (even if reluctantly). Without such consent they would be acting illegally and carrying out sequestration of someone’s private property for the purposes of setting up of their communication system. Do not give up, as it is the power companies that are acting illegally NOT the citizens of this state!

• Frank says:

Hi all, I’ve also now received this letter from Jemena where they refer to section 5.3.
            I’ve also used Gerhard’s approach, and I now also thought about this section 5.3 again:
            Basically, what they say is that they are allowed to interrupt the power for the reasons of maintenance, repair, augmentation (which means upgrade). Fair enough, they have to turn the power off when they do it, but it doesn’t mean that they don’t have to get our consent if this augmentation/upgrade is in relation to smart meters. And this is NOT covered in 5.3. In other words, 5.3 only covers the “physical” consequences if they want to install a SM, but it does NOT say that they are allowed to do it…. and they’re not, at least not without consent as also barrister Eugene White has pointed out in his letter.

Keep up the good work, everyone, this site is invaluable. Remember one thing, though:
            I understand the frustrations, anger, sentiments and pain that people go through, however, stay calm and peaceful, especially when dealing with the installers coming to your door. Heated arguments and discussions with swear words hardly achieve anything but only make the “us” and “them” divide bigger, and it only leads to the installers getting even more nasty on the next job. They are people after all, they have families and children as well. Of course they don’t really know what they’re doing and which agenda they’re serving. It’s called mind control, they might REALLY believe they’re doing the right thing, or it’s the fear of losing the job that keeps them going…

It’s better to get them to turn around by calming standing our ground and informing, because without the foot soldiers those corporations won’t go anywhere. The solution is not to cut off the devil’s head but to take his servants away one by one…

My 2 cents worth… hope it helps someone

Frank

• Sandy says:

Thanks Frank – yes, I intend to stay calm as I will be facing the third attempt to install during the upcomimg school hols (awful timing that is!) and I will be explaining what my reasons are for rejecting the AMI agenda , eg: I’m EMF sensitive since my neighbours all got smart meters last year, privacy concerns, the technology has not been proven safe, especially around children & pets. The Government so often gets it wrong – and they will NOT be using my home for undesired consequences…

• 1vimana1 says:

Sandy,
                Number One….Keep your Electric Meter Box Padlocked and get up your $167,000:00 Dollar Commonwealth Anti-Trespass Signs, that’s what I did a year ago, it’s worked for me.

• Rod Sylvia says:

Hi Gerhard
        Can you please email me your copy of the letter
        Thanks Rod
        Mildura

• Moira says:

Hi Gerhard, I have sent a registered letter informing Powercor that I do not want a Smart Meter, I have locked my meter box and also had the sign “STOP do not put in a Smart meter” from the Stop Smart Meter website. I have now had a reply to my letter telling me it is now mandatory to have the Smart Meter installed. Could you please send me a copy of the letter you have sent and any further information that would be useful to me to stop having the smart meter installed. Kind regards Moira

8. Jerry says:

Don’t give in, lock up your meter box,cut a window in it so it can be read,
    the prices of Gas, Electricity and Water in this state are obscene, and the Electrical Trades Union are directly responsible for the out of control cost of Electricity in Victoria the ETU hold the Government to ransom, Tenix, Power Core Citipower and Jemena who are the maintenance contractors for the power grid in Victoria work on average 4 to 5 hours per day but get paid for 8 hours ,$51.00 out of every $100.00 is spent on maintaining the power grid , the same culture that existed before privatization still exists to day (SEC) (State Electricity Commission) except the maintenance companies are now private and work for Singapore Power ,the average Linesman earn in excess of $150.000 per year more with overtime
    and only work an average of 25 to 30 hours per week. That s why your Electricity cost so much
    Singapore Power (SP Ausnet ) a private company in Singapore own the power grid.You may be interested in what SEC stands for (Slow, Easy and Comfortable)

• john says:

Jerry you are so wrong. if the SEC was still here the cost of power would not be so high, stop blaming the workers,blame it on Kennett’s privatisation comments like yours are just what these companies want to see its the same comments they use to justify the high price . your feeding into their ideology