On July 31 Energy Safe Victoria (ESV), released its final report on the safety of smart meters. Titled Safety of Advanced Metering Infrastructure in Victoria, the report was written in response to ‘new issues’ raised regarding the safety of smart meters.

Stop Smart Meters Australia is appalled that there has been no attempt to address the issue of the health impacts of smart meters.

Although the draft report stated that the emphasis was on safety, the issue of possible health effects received little mention, simply concluding that the subject was “beyond the detailed scope” of the report and that the emissions were “well below the safe levels set by ARPANSA.”  This totally overlooks that the ARPANSA standards are only designed for protection against immediate thermal hazards (tissue heating) at high intensity exposures and not against cumulative biological-effects from low intensity exposures.

In response to the draft report, many submissions were sent to ESV, a number of them expressing concern over possible health hazards from RF exposure.   We were expecting a considered response to the issue of health effects.  Our firm belief is that health safety is an integral component of any true safety audit, but ESV chose to completely ignore this issue!

Don Maisch, a spokesperson for Stop Smart Meters Australia, said “People at ESV have obviously decided that that the health issue is in the way-too-hard-basket and better left ignored.  Perhaps ESV hopes that all those people reporting insomnia, tinnitus, headaches, etc. after a smart meter installation at their home (especially those installed close to the bedroom) will simply vanish to a ‘less smart’ state?”

“When questioned about the health impacts of smart meters, Government members continually refer to the ESV report indicating that smart meters are safe.  They choose to overlook that this issue has been conveniently ignored!”

In its submission to ESV, Stop Smart Meters Australia presented a series of questions.  ESV failed to address these in its final report. It also disregarded an EMFacts’ submission recommending independent research on health impacts of smart meters. These two submissions can be found at: https://stopsmartmetersau.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/esv-submission.pdf and http://www.emfacts.com/download/Comments_on_the_Draft_report.pdf

Further, the Electricity Safety Act 1998 quite clearly places a number of responsibilities on ESV.  These do not appear to have been met in connection with the AMI roll-out.

“What is ESV trying to hide?  ESV’s final report is cavalier and short on substance.  It negligently ignores their duty of care.  At best it is a lame whitewash, at worst, a cruel insult to the many concerned Victorians who bothered to send in submissions” said Don Maisch.

This entry was posted in Smart Meter and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to MEDIA RELEASE – Final ESV smart meter report sidesteps the health effects issue altogether!

1. Trevor Churchill says:

How to reduce exposure from mobile phones and other wireless devices

Overall, the evidence suggests that the radiofrequency (RF) electromagnetic energy (EME) emissions of mobile phone handsets are not harmful to the user. However, the technology is new and it’s impossible to be completely sure there isn’t some risk. This is particularly true for children where there is little research evidence.

• using the phone on speaker mode
    • texting rather than talking
    • even placing your thumb between the phone and the ear
    Cordless phones
    • using speaker mode
    • limiting the length of the call
    • keeping your distance from the cordless phone base unit
    • using a wired land-line phone.

This is an admition that we have problems from the Authority with MICROWAVE that our Politicians certainly Must Look into ….

2. Rosemary says:

Thanks for all your kind comments. We, too are on pensions. We already spent $10,000 on solar panels and didn’t want to spend anymore on getting off the grid and/or shielding products. The house is 42 years old and I am tired of the cold weather and pollution. If I loved living in Melbourne I would have shielded my home and tried to get compensation later. We shouldn’t have to do any of this. Keep up the fight.

• 1vimana1 says:

Dear Rosemary,
      many people have now had their perfectly safe and passive Analog Electric Meters stolen by the Electric Power Companies when these home owner/s and or small business owners was out shopping, or away from home for any reason. This gave these Sneaky Smart Meter Installer Men the opportunity to take the perfectly safe and Passive Analog Meter/s and install the now proving to be Dangerous Smart Meters against these home or small business owners Will and Better Judgement.

Unless one has installed an Industrial Padlock on one’s Private Electric Meter Box, then even the Legal Anti-Tresspass signs will not guarantee that your present Safe and Passive Analog Electric Meter will not be taken by these Sneaky Smart Meter Installer Men. It is not the LAW that one has to give into their and the Electric Power Companies Bullying Tactics. The FACT IS …………..IT IS NOT THE LAW THAT EVERY VICTORIAN PRIVATE HOME OR SMALL BUSINESS OWNER MUST ACCEPT A SMART METER.
      SUCH A LAW HAS NEVER BEEN PASSED IN BOTH OF THE HOUSES OF PARLIAMENT, THAT IS NEITHER IN THE UPPER AND THE LOWER HOUSES OF THE VICTORIAN PARLIAMENT UNDER EITHER THE PAST BRUMBLY LABOUR GOVERNMENT OR THIS PRESENT LIBERAL LED TED BAILLIEU VICTORIAN GOVERNMENT, therefore the continual and LYING statement being made, ” That it is the LAW, That every Victorian private home owner and small business must accept a Smart Meter is A DOWNRIGHT LIE.

This Victorian Incumbent Liberal Government will state that ,” It has been Mandated that one has to accept a Smart Meter, is another Confidence Trick whereby the truly Tricky Word ” Mandated ” is supposed to mean it is the LAW. Nothing could be further from the TRUTH. The word Mandated simply means an Instruction or Demand, but be warned………….this tricky word……..Mandated carries NO WEIGHT IN LAW ! Therefore if you want to keep your Trusty and Passive and Safe Analog Meter nobody can Legally force you to change it for a now proving to be DANGEROUS to your health and to your privatcy.

3. Alan Burke says:

And if terrorists were to take -over S/M H.Q,s and then turn E/PULSE up to CONTINUOS SIGNAL? Anyone going to guarantee our health?

4. Informed Choice says:

Gee, what a Surprise! Energy Safe Victoria says our health is not important! Go figure. They are a useless department as are ALL government depts and don’t care about Victorians. We have all made it clear that change needs to happen but these puppets are in COMPLETE DENIAL of our concerns. My box is still locked and it will STAY THAT WAY, thanks for nothing ESV!!! Another nail in the coffin for Ted Bailieu, O’Brien and other liberal con artists! Victoria… The Place to FLEE.

5. Alex says:

I’m Seeking contact from any residents whom reside in the City of Whittlesea who have or suspect they have health issues following the installation of a Smart Meter.
    Please contact Alex from “City of Whittlesea Smart Meter Awareness Group” on stopsmartmeters@y7mail.com or 0402 095 961

6. Rosemary says:

Not surprised at all by the report. ESV told us our situation was completely unique and that no-one else is getting sick from Smart meters. When I mentioned others getting sick, fires, etc, ESV said they “didn’t like my attitude!” We have been unable to live in our home since smart meter installation in October last year. We sold my home of 22 years and are now living in a little Hi Ace campervan. We are heading to QLD where we should be safe for a while.
    Yes, there should be class actions, but it seems that no-one is willing to take them on at this stage. If you have been effected by a Smart meter, make sure you put your name down with Maurice Blackburn for a future class action.
    To those who dont have a smart meter yet, keep fighting. Do not allow them to install a Smart meter. Once it is installed, they will not remove it.
    You can go to all the trouble and expense of getting off the grid, but unfortunately, if your neighbours have smart meters, you can still be made sick by them as this is a mesh network. We need to educate our neighbours. Unfortunately, many don’t care, are ignorant and trust the powers that be. God help us!

• Melbourne Mum says:

Well said Rosemary! Why are lawyers so un-willing to help their fellow citizens in this matter, when they will defend murderers and the like? There is so much wrong with this country now that I do not hold onto much hope of it changing for the better. I hope you find happiness again in Qld. Inner peace is what I’m looking for now and I’m willing to do whatever it takes to achieve this. I never imagined having to deal with this kind of attack on our freedom. It is much like being a caged animal …GRRR! Thanks for your words of wisdom.. much appreciated!!

• Freddie says:

Well said Rosemary! You guys are the first of what will sadly be an avalanche of ‘smartmeter refugees’ in the future, unless things change.

• Gerhard says:

hi Rosemary “make sure you put your name down with Maurice Blackburn for a future class action” could you please give me more info about this?

Gerhard
      gerver@bigfoot.com.au

Rosemary – Everything you say is so true. I am surrounded by them. I am going to my Dr. to get an exemption. I feel so sorry that you had to go to the extremes you have…it’s not fair. We are prisioners in our own State, that’s how I feel anyhow – but I WILL NOT GIVE IN EVER. I CAN’T AFFORD TO MOVE ANYWHERE. God Bless You..Cheers Pam 🙂

7. Cedar Wilde says:

It’s about time our pollies got off their backsides and started representing their electorate. We are supposed to be living in a democracy and while I don’t believe that everything the populace thinks about issues is always correct, there is too much evidence of illness concerning these devices to just brush it aside and pretend that it doesn’t exist. I am one of the sufferers now and am wondering where I can go to get away from the electromagnetic radiation.

8. Steve says:

It was to be expected. When I sent them my email with my health issues to ESV I was told

“Our report was originally designed to review safety issues relating to smart meters affected by high-voltage injection. The report was never designed or intended to take a detailed look at RF as this does not fall within our regulatory framework.

ACMA is the body that should be able to answer the questions posed.”

I attended the recent Health meeting in Melbourne a couple of weeks ago and was happy to see the turn out. It made me realize that we should probably hold more of these meetings on a regular basis to brainstorm options and develop an action plan to tackle the issues we face. Individually our complaints are falling on deaf ears. We need to be more coordinated with our actions. We should also try to get support from those scientists who have performed research and found compelling evidence that EMF such as RF is hazardous to the health. We should also as a group seek legal advice on how we can fight this attack on our basic human rights.

9. Con says:

ESV’s report appears to be quite embarrassingly ill conceived.

I suggest that Stop Smart Meters Australia sent the submission again to ESV in the hope that somebody reads them.

10. Pam Densley says:

So where do I stand now I do not have the money to install Solar or buy generators I am on a Pension. Do I have to lower myself and let these people install a Smart Meter????????????????? I sent a SubmIssion to ESV so I will probably be one who will be Targeted along with all the other folk who sent in their Reports. The pollies must be sitting back with their huge pay packets, laughing all the way to the Bank. WHAT ARE WE ORDINARY FOLK GOING TO DO NOW IS THE BIG QUESTION………………….PAM

• Marla Swift says:

So agree with you Pam. Same as you on a pension. I have been told that if we refuse, we will be left alone for a period of time (I don’t know how long) and then our electricity will be switched off!!!!!!! Can I have feedback on this from the Stop Smart Meter people please.??Also if I stop installation I could get a huge fine….is this correct????

• Stop Smart Meters Australia says:

See https://stopsmartmeters.com.au/2012/05/08/essential-services-commission-answers-questions-on-bullying-and-threats/
        Especially, ”ESC does not consider the behaviour described as being consistent with “best endeavours”. We recommend any such instances be brought to the attention of the Energy and Water Ombudsman Victoria (EWOV).”

• Human Rights and People Power will win says:

Suggest it’s a waste of time contacting the ombudsman about bullying, just call the police and have the bullies charged. They would be if they were in a workplace, a school yard or doing it on the internet, so why are Power Company contractors above the law.

Marla – DON’T GIVE UP JUST KEEP CHECKING the website for details, they will keep- us informed on the progress. These people can’t make us property Owners do anyhthing that we feel will endanger our Health and Safety – Go to your Doctor (see the latest post and get an exemption that’s what I am going to do – NEVER GIVE UP EVER………….CHEERS Pam 🙂

• Cedar Wilde says:

No Pam, lock up your meter box and stick a non-install notice on it. The more people who do this the more chance we have of combatting them. I think we are all getting pretty sick of politicians who represent themselves and not us. We people who put them there. They are either very stupid, ignoring the evidence of the harm these things do or they are evil people who do not care if they harm people as long as what they do is expedient to themselves (and their masters!).

Thanks Cedar – There are thousands and thousands of us against these METERS. MY BOX IS LOCKED AND HAS BEEN FOR MONTHS AND ALL MY SIGNS ARE UP. MY METER HAS RECENTLY BEEN READ AND I HAVE RECEIVED AN ACCOUNT FROM MY ENERGY COMPANY. I never even had to open the Box – I have an cut-out (perspex lined). The pollies couldn’t careless about us – they must see our comments, they are gutless ####!!!!sss. Maybe ‘STOP SMART METERS AUSTRALIA’ SHOULD BE CANDICATES in the next Election, BECAUSE THIS ROLL-OUT MOST PROBABLY WILL BE AUSTRALIA WIDE NOW —- Lord forbid ..Cheers Pam 🙂

11. Anne-Marie says:

Please everybody don’t give up the fight. I for one didn’t expect this to be plain sailing to stop the smart meters. Just take this as a step back after having taken 2 steps forward with the win in East Gippsland. So now we need to take another 2 steps forward. To do that we need to arm ourselves with even more information and proof of the real dangers of smart meters.
    Start researching online further than you have already and keep up to date with what is happening in America and Canada as they are leading the way with the smart meters.
    In California they now have OPT OUT Plans : http://www.electrosmogprevention.org/stop-ca-smart-meter-news/cpuc-passes-sdge-sce-opt-out-plans-41912/
    In Canada they are also fighting against Smart Meters and this is a good site to catch up with how they are dealing with this issue. http://www.earthcalm.com/5582/emf-dangers-2/smart-meter-radiation-risks/
    Information is Power and if you print it out and show it around, its hard for people not to come on board when they see it in black & white for themselves, and especially if the articles have references to legitimate studies etc.
    Even for East Gippsland people, keep providing information to your local council, like copies of studies from around the world and what other countries are now doing against the smart meters, etc.
    We need to get onto local government backs and stay on their backs until something is done.
    You will find most councilors will not know the crucial details of Smart Meters and their risks, so we need to educate them until they do.
    Maybe its time to take this back to Today Tonight or A Current Affair with all the new information that is now available from around the world.

Anne-Marie. I don’t think it would matter how much information that was given to the Govt. or ESV they couldn’t careless about us or Health, Safety or whatever. They have all these bloody Smart Meters sitting God knows where and from God knows where and they just want to get them installed somewhere so they can close another Chapter. I have a letter from Power Cor saying they cannot guarantee my Health and if they can’t I am not having a Smart Meter they can go to Hell, even though they say I can’t opt-out. Yes, let”s get back on ACA and today tonite and Qand A Sixty Minutes and invite O’Brien, Baillieu and ESV Rep and make them face the people they are ignoring now. Again my Blood pressure is ski high since I read this Post. I have sent a letter to my Local Council along the lines of East Gippsland. Will be interesting to see their reply in light of today’s events. A Class Action may now be another Option if Stop Smart Meters can find a Legal Firm to take this on. There are thousanda and thousands of us who don’t want these bloody things – maybe we should bombard them with letters. I don’t know the answer but I am NOT HAVING A SMART METER and thats that. My SIGNS ARE STAYING, MY BOX IS LOCKED AND STAYING LOCKED and Lord help anyone who tries to install a Smart Meter at my Property. …………………Pam

12. Gerhard says:

Well – we can talk talk talk as much as we want – it will not change a thing. I believe the only way to stop those big greedy companies is with a class action – and it should be done now. Ones we all have a “smart meter” it is to late and the companies will say that everything was done according to the law meaning that they are not liable/responsible for anything
    Gerhard

13. Carmela says:

Unbelievable!!! Or not.
    I agree with both Lindsay and Robert – the government is our servant and they are liars.
    This makes me even more determined to fight smart meters.
    How dare they ignore the health issues. It is clear that they don’t care about people.

14. Lindsay Smith says:

I feel pain when I injure myself.

I feel pain when exposed to wireless transmissions.

Pain is the way my body warns me that something is wrong.

As a soverign sane individual I have the right to decide what enters my body.

I conclude that any state “authority” that provides or promotes an unsafe or unhealthy environment to its constituents is commiting treason.

Governments are PUBLIC SERVANTS, NOT OUR RULERS. Nothing more, nothing less.

• John Cornish says:

The greedy foreign owned power companies are traitors against the people of Victoria, having lured a lame state government into their ill-considered decision to allow this ghastly imposition on its people.

“A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague.”
      ~ Cicero 106-43BC ~

15. This State government like a lot of other collective groups of politicians have no real care for the people they are representing. They vote as their party commands they do, in this case they want the smart meters in. My guess is they are pandering to big business , the power suppliers who stand to make a killing in charging as much as they like per kilowatt hour during the electricity usage peak times 14:00 to 22:00 per day.
    For myself, I am going fully solar independent of the grid, electricity storage via batteries to be used during night periods. A small petrol driven generator for standby in case of long periods of inclement weather. YOU JUST CANNOT TRUST ANY POLITICIAN, THEIR BUSINESS IS LYING, & SOME ARE VERY GOOD AT IT!

• Anf says:

Now have we all forgotten how governments work?

Along time ago Governments said smoking is not harmful and took the advice of tobacco companies and promoted smoking as good for you and reaped in mega billions of dollars and still are today.
      At the same time the government also promoted asbestos as a safe building material at the advice of corporations E.G the James Hardy Corporation
      So we all smoked like troopers and put asbestos in homes and buildings
      that we all work and live in.
      Now it is proven that smoking causes lung cancer and other diseases it is also proven that asbestos causes asbestoses and other related diseases but while you and I are dying from these diseases the government has its head in the sand and listening to corporations and the lies that these corporations are telling to protect there bottom line and at the same time the government is reaping in billions of dollars so they all have an vested interest in these smart meters
      It is in our interest to protest these meters out of existence and you do this by word of mouth or on parliament steps in your capital city.

Ps
      I do know that a Wi-Fi affects children I have autistic child at home and since I have turned off the Wi-Fi router in our home my son is like a different child. I don’t want such a meter on my home they can stick it on the power poll if they like or where the sun doesn’t shine.