A 92 case series report by Melbourne medical practitioner Dr Federica Lamech titled “Self-Reporting of Symptom Development From Exposure to Radiofrequency Fields of Wireless Smart Meters in Victoria, Australia: A Case Series.” has been published in the Nov/Dec 2014 issue of the US clinical journal ‘Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine’. The journal is a PubMed listed, peer-reviewed publication.
The case series was compiled using de-identified data collected by Steve Weller B.Sc.
It reveals that the most commonly reported symptoms from exposure to wireless smart meters were (1) insomnia, (2) headaches, (3) tinnitus, (4) fatigue, (5) cognitive disturbances, (6) dysesthesias (abnormal sensation) and (7) dizziness; and that the effects of these symptoms on people’s lives were significant.
Table 2. Effect on People’s Lives
- Having to go on a disability pension
- Not being able to use part of one’s house
- Restricting freedom of movement
- Spending a lot of money on shielding products
- Causing financial problems
- Causing relationship problems
- Having to undergo otherwise unnecessary medical investigations
- Needing to see a psychologist and doctors
- Producing general deterioration in quality of life
- Needing to restrict time spent using a computer
- Needing to avoid all EMR emitting devices
- Being unable to drive
- Causing secondary stress
- Having to temporarily move out of one’s home while it was being shielded
- Developing concerns about long-term effects of exposure
- Relocating bedroom
- Decreased performance at work
- Being unable to work
- Being able to feel normal only when away from home
- Causing several issues, such as lethargy or cognitive impairment, secondary to sleep disturbances
- Needing to move into a caravan 25 km out of town
- Sleeping in a van for 6 months
- Relocating to another state
Abbreviation: EMR = electromagnetic radiation.
A draft of the report had already gained support from the American Academy of Environmental Medicine (AAEM) last year with a public statement by them that “It is a well documented 92 case series that is scientifically valid. It clearly demonstrates adverse health effects in the human population from smart meter emissions.”
Stop Smart Meters Australia is of the opinion that this report will help the global, international effort to better understand the effects of nonionizing radiation and of wireless smart meters in particular, on human health.
Dr Lamech ‘offers the hypothesis that some people can develop symptoms from exposure to radiofrequency fields of wireless smart meters.’ She concludes that ‘This hypothesis cannot be disproven without further assessment of the affected individuals and the electromagnetic fields in which they live.’ Dr Lamech calls for ‘the establishment of a postrollout surveillance study and funding for further research into the particular effects of wireless smart meters, in conjunction with research into the short-term and long-term consequences of EMR exposure.’
The PubMed listed abstract can be found here:
A comprehensive commentary on the report by SkyVision Solutions can be found here: http://smartgridawareness.org/2014/12/07/symptom-development-from-smart-meter-rf-exposure/#more-9615
The full article (which is copyrighted) can be obtained by purchasing an individual copy for $15 US from: https://www.scribd.com/doc/249193352/Self-Reporting-of-Symptom-Development-From-Exposure-to-Radiofrequency-Fields-of-Wireless-Smart-Meters-in-Victoria-Australia-A-Case-Series
Alternatively, individual hard copies of the Nov/Dec 2014 issue of Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine can be purchased by e-mailing the circulation director at email@example.com.