Recently we spent over $10,000 to install solar panels. We had heard about the dangers of Smart Meters, but didn’t realise it is mandatory to have one after installing new solar panels. The installer turned up on October 17th, unannounced just as I was heading out the door. He was supposed to phone first.
He said he was here to install the smart meter. I asked if there was another type of meter. He said there is, but the smart meter was all he had on him. As we had already waited weeks and were missing out on the Government feed-in tariffs, we allowed him to install the meter, hoping it would be OK.
Big mistake! I didn’t realise the meter has a radio transmitter in it which sends out microwaves 24/7. I am very sensitive to EMF’s and within no time I developed ringing in my ears, buzzing in my brain, headaches, heart palpitations, insomnia and other symptoms.
After many phone calls, sleeping in my car & finally phone calls to the ombudsman, Jemena say they have turned the power to the meter down by 90%. I can’t notice any improvement and have no proof that the meter has been turned down. We have to wait 5-8 weeks for a concilliation meeting as there is a backlog. The Ombudsman say that if the meter complies with Australian standards there is nothing they can do about it.
I believe our standards are not as safe as the European standards and must be reviewed urgently. Meanwhile we have been sleeping in our car for 4 weeks and only returning home to catch up on neccessary tasks. Jemena are aware of this and show no regard for our health or safety. Since installing the meter we lost our pensioner discount on electricity and the rates have changed to peak only. I still can’t spend much time in my home and my husband and I are both sleeping in the car. My husband is battling cancer and does not need this stress and further damage to his immune system.
There have been reports of smart meters causing house fires, especially in older homes. Our home is 41 years old and still has the original wiring. Must we add insult to injury and live in fear of our house burning down?
The radio frequencies from the smart meter are interfering with our security lights and both televisions. We now use a torch to access our outside stairs at night, creating yet another safety hazzard.
A couple of years ago we had wireless Internet which affected me in a similar way, so we got rid of it. They say the smart meter gives off less radiation than a Mobile phone. There is debate about this and I will get independent tests. I can use a mobile phone with a bluetooth or on speaker and don’t react like this. I don’t use a microwave oven.
The point is also that we don’t have mobile phones on our ears 24 hours per day.
There is much research that confirms EMF’s have been linked to brain tumors, breast cancer and childhood leukaemia. Unless we can fix the problem, we may have to sell the house as we cannot live like this. Moving may not help as these smart meters are everywhere. I know my body very well. I was not like this prior to the smart meter and when I stay away, the symptoms clear up, only to return when I come home. I am becoming more sensitive and recovery is taking longer after each exposure.
There are many stories from others in the same situation. It is another nightmare and fight we really didn’t need. Jemena refuse to replace the meter with a safer one. This has destroyed our quality of life and the enjoyment and security of our home. We will be seeking legal advice and compensation.
California are now uninstalling the smart meters as too many people have been made sick by them. This erosion of our freedom and safety is completely unacceptable and I have requested that our smart meter be removed as a matter of urgency, to no avail as yet.