Mornington Peninsula acts on smart meters | Peninsula Weekly

No entry: Tamara Hicks has locked up her meter box to prevent a smart meter being installed. Picture: Gary Sissons

ANTI-smart meter activists packed a Mornington Peninsula Shire Council meeting last month as councillors raised concerns about the compulsory installation of the meters.

After a heated debate and amid cheers from the gallery, the council resolved to write to Premier Ted Baillieu requesting that Energy Minister Michael O’Brien urgently meet community group representatives concerned about the smart meter roll out.

An amendment was also passed for the council to ask Health Minister David Davis to initiate and carry out a thorough investigation into the implications on health and well-being among people exposed to electromagnetic radiation emitted from the smart meters.

The original motion was put forward by Cr Leigh Eustace, who attended a public meeting on smart meters in Seaford on August 9.

Cr Tim Rodgers also attended the meeting and was passionate about raising the concerns over smart meters, despite allegations by another councillor that it was an election tactic.

“This is the disease of the 21st century,” he said, likening the side effects allegedly linked to smart meters to asbestos and the tobacco industry.

Cr Rodgers said he had heard from people who, just 30 minutes after smart meters had been installed, had suffered ill effects, including nausea and headaches from the electromagnetic radiation. “We need to say this isn’t right and we need to get rid of it right now,” he said to applause from members of the gallery.

Speaking to the Weekly, Rosebud resident Tamara Hicks said the installation of smart meters in her street had reduced her quality of life. “I can’t even sit here and have my breakfast with that noise going,” she said.

“I have had the skin rash, red face and hands, heart palpitations, waking up every hour and there is a constant ringing sound. It has made my fridge rev and my washing machine hum. Even my solar lights have been pulsating.”

Ms Hicks said she had been forced to move furniture in her house away from her neighbour’s smart meter so she could sleep at night.

“I have locked up my meter box to prevent the power company installing a smart meter. I’m not having one, because I don’t want any more radiation in here.”

Read the rest via Mornington Peninsula acts on smart meters | Peninsula Weekly – Western Port Weekly.

This entry was posted in Smart Meter and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Mornington Peninsula acts on smart meters | Peninsula Weekly

To everyone who has Commented so far, it brings tears to my eyes just reading some of your Comments. I am a Pensioner too and I will NEVER HAVE A SMART METER. MY ARTICLE WILL BE PUBLISHED IN A COUPLE OF DAYS AND IT WILL BE POSTED TO THIS WEBSITE. IF YOUR BOXES ARE NOT LOCKED – DO IT NOW. DISPLAY YOUR NO TRESSASS SIGNS AND ALL THE OTHER ONES YOU CAN FIND ON THE WEBSITE. Let the mongrels take as many photos as they like, but DON’T LET THEM INSTALL A SMART METER. O’BRIEN AND BAILLIEU have no idea how many people are suffering from EMR and they couldn’t careless. THEY WILL HAVE TO FACE US SOONER OR LATER, preferrably IN COURT if we can get a CLASS ACTION STARTED…………………….NEVER GIVE IN…………….CHEERS PAM 🙂

2. norb says:

It’s not only the health concerns regarding radio frequencies, it’s also the blatant ripoff prepetrated by the energy companies and our government. Why is hardly anyone questioning the
    massive energy cost blowout. Virtually no inquiry by the press or our elected representatives into
    why, even well before the carbon tax, our energy costs keep skyrocketing.
    The cost of energy is being driven up by the greed of foreign companies who don’t miss a trick
    or loophole in order to maximise profits. Privatization is an ongoing crime…Thanks to people like
    Paul Keating and Jeff Kennet (remember them).
    We’re stuck with brown coal for the moment, it’s ours…or is it? In any case we pay for it, we suffer the pollution, but as the people of Australia we don’t get the profit.
    Hands up those who’ve experienced a sudden surge in “consumption” since having a Smart meter installed?
    I am a pensioner and live in a fabulously expensive all electric flat which rarely gets past 17 deg
    in winter. I just wear more clothes! Between 60% & 70% of my income go on rent and bills.

3. Steve says:

I had the smart meter installers here in Meadow Heights this morning, they took photos of my locked meter box and no smart meter sign then moved on.
    They did not seem interested in discussing the matter.
    Does anybody know what their next move might be?
    And has the extent of “use their best endeavors” been defined?

• Ms Rebel says:

I know that 4 months ago , the same happened in our street and they haven’t been back since… that is fine with me as I will not be having their dumb meter, ever!

4. It was nice to see Cr Eustace & Cr Rodgers stand up for their constituents. They are up for re-election this month and hope they get back in. They are two of the best and we can only hope that the people who fought against them at the meeting fail in their election endeavours.

5. Tierney Tipovsky says:

Since the smart meter has been installed I have had heart palpitations, dizziness and ringing in my ears, it’s driving me crazy! I feel like a prisoner in my own home! This is a new age disease and I can’t believe that the government has inflicted this upon us and just simply ignores the problems it is causing!

6. Good luck Pam and well done 🙂

At 2.30 I am Meeting with my Shire Councilor to place an Article in our Local Paper. I will have SSMA post my Article when it is published. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK EVERYONE – WE WILL WIN THIS FIGHT thanks to SSMA. I am taking this recent post with me….Cheers Pam 🙂