ENERGY Safe Victoria is investigating claims that exploding smart meters are endangering householders and workers.
The watchdog says companies should review testing procedures after power surges amid revelations of seven recent malfunctions in Pascoe Vale.
Another smart meter was damaged in Noble Park in November.
Details emerged today when a whistleblower claimed there were serious safety concerns about meters blowing up, sparking calls for a rollout suspension.
Distributor Jemena’s managing director Paul Adams denied the claims, saying meters had failed and ‘flashed’ due to a high voltage injection, but did not explode.
ESV director Paul Fearon said all types of meters were potentially vulnerable to damage during power surges.
Pascoe Vale grandmother Brenda, 91, was standing inside her front door watching a worker reconnecting power on Tuesday when suddenly she heard a loud “bang and boom”.
“I thought ‘Oh my goodness’, he had his head blown off.
“I could see he got a bit of a shock – I was just happy that I was on the other side of the door.”
Read more of this article via Exploding smart meters are endangering householders and workers: claim | Herald Sun.