Most parents would be concerned if their children had significant exposure to lead, chloroform, gasoline fumes, or the pesticide DDT.  The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IRIC), part of the United Nations’ World Health Organization (WHO), classifies these and more than 250 other agents as Class 2B Carcinogens – possibly carcinogenic to humans.  Another entry on that same list is radiofrequency electromagnetic fields (RF/EMF).  The main sources of RF/EMF are radios, televisions, microwave ovens, cell phones, and Wi-Fi devices.

Uh-oh. Not another diatribe about the dangers of our modern communication systems?  Obviously, these devices and the resulting fields are extremely (and increasingly) common in modern society.  Even if we want to, we can’t eliminate our exposure, or our children’s, to RF/EMF.  But, we may need to limit that exposure, when possible.

That was among the conclusions of a survey article published in the Journal of Microscopy and Ultrastructure entitled “Why children absorb more microwave radiation than adults: The consequences.”  From an analysis of others studies, the authors argue that children and adolescents are at considerable risk from devices that radiate microwaves (and that adults are at a lower, but still significant, risk).  The following points were offered for consideration:

• Children absorb a greater amount of microwave radiation than adults.
  • Unborn babies are even more vulnerable than children.  Therefore pregnant women should avoid exposing their fetus to microwave radiation.
  • Adolescent girls and women should not place mobile phones in their bras or in hijabs (headscarf).
  • Mobile phone manual warnings make clear an overexposure problem exists.
  • Government warnings have been issued but most of the public are unaware of such warnings.
  • Current exposure limits are inadequate and should be revised.
  • Wireless devices are radio transmitters, not toys.  Selling toys that use them should be monitored more closely.

Children and unborn babies absorb more microwave radiation, according to the authors, because their bodies are relatively smaller, their skulls are thinner, and their brain tissue is more absorbent.

For complete article published on Forbes Online please click here

This entry was posted in Smart Meter and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Study suggests Wi-Fi exposure more dangerous to kids than previously thought – Forbes Online

1. anon says:

On the subject of Wifi , the NBN roll-out is not a good thing . Recently came to our suburb . Now a sea of wifi . Telstra is putting in new modems that are needed to run the home phone , not just your computer and there is a signal for Telstra Air also . Elderly relative who has no interest in the internet was told she had to have a wifi modem ( supplied by Telstra ) to run her home phone . she said she felt bullied . After the tech left she unplugged the phone & returned it to the old plug ( that was still working ). We set it up again to check it out . Using Wifi Analyser ( free app for smart phones ) we found 3 strong signals – identifier for customer , Fon for phone & Telstra Air . We also found there was a Wifi switch on the modem to turn wifi off , this worked & the home phone still worked . The Telstra tech had stated the wifi could not be turned off & must be left on 24/7 or phone wouldn’t work. The signals are adjusted to full power , which cant be altered externally . So the question is why are people being used for Telstra Air without consent ? and are the technicians on a commission ?

• Stop Smart Meters Australia says:
    • Sick Of Their Lies says:

I also received one of the new “Telstra Gateway Max” modems but I haven’t been in a real hurry to install it as yet. I need to research it a little more before I set it up and return my older one. I am happy that it has an actual Wi-Fi on/off button on it, as the Netgear one I’ve been using for the last few years never had a designated button on it, instead you had to turn the modem Wi-Fi off via your computer software, which wasn’t an obvious, straightforward process. In fact originally I had to ring Telstra to guide me through the steps involved.
      Unfortunately though, most of the public won’t ever be turning their Wi-Fi buttons off, as most people love Wi-Fi, can’t get enough Wi-Fi, and think it’s the greatest thing out.
      I don’t share their enthusiasm for this unproved, potentially unsafe, dangerous technology.
      Once everyone in my neighbourhood has their new Telstra modems set-up, it will be a sick, hazardous, sea of microwave evil I’ll be expected to live in whether I like it or not.
      What a sad world we live in now.

Once I turn the Wi-Fi off on this new Gateway Max modem via the Wi-Fi On/Off push button, is this making the unit “”safe” to use, or is there something else I still need to worry about with this new unit, in regards to my safety?

• Analysis says:

Test the modem using an emr meter (such as the Cornet ED75).

Also in addition to hardware method (switching off the Wi-fi switch), also try and see if you can switch the option off by software also.

My TPG modem for the NBN has no wi-fi switch and when I first received it, the default setting was to transmit wi-fi. There is a number code I was able to type into the url address field of a browser page that enabled me to enter into the software configuration options for my modem where I was able to turn off wireless transmission. My cornet emr meter confirmed that transmission had ceased. My connectivity to the modem is via a good old Ethernet cable.

2. ingrid says:

Schools are full of wifi. So it affects all the staff too (yes, teachers and aides are human too 🙂 ) and there’s nothing they can do about it.

I got my electricity bill today. The supply charge has gone up quite a bit. The distributor is Jemena. No explanation has been given on why the supply charge has gone up from the last bill. Is this the penalty? The unlawful penalty, fine or fee that only a court can dish out.
    We have not been convicted of anything, so how can we be fined? Only a court can do this.
    The bill does not state that a fee or fine has applied. The supply charge has gone up alot. This is actually discriminating if this is the fine or fee. The AER are responsible for this and they don’t have the authority to implement any fees or fines, they are not a court. You can’t convict someone and apply penalties without a fair trial. We have not been charged with anything.

• ingrid says:

They probably won’t call it a fine but a service fee. But I think you’re right about fines – this has come up with those private car parks where the owner fines people and the courts said they can’t.

4. Cedar says:

I agree with everything you’ve said Eva. As for myself I have been worried lately by a strange sensation of burning in my brain. It feels as though my left frontal lobe is burning. I don’t know what it is but I’ve never had such a sensation before. I don’t have a smart meter myself but all my neighbours do. I wonder if there is somewhere I can go for a holiday where they don’t have these horrible devices. Someone mentioned Castlemaine, I’ll have to check it out.

• ingrid says:

Hi. I hope you go to your doctor to be checked.
      There are funny sort of headaches, also weird sensations around eyes people get from posture ( think of how you position yourself when using computers, ipads etc)

Try a scientifically proven shielding paint in the room adjacent to the neighbours’ smart meter. We used yshield paint to shield us from our neighbours’ smart meter. It can be tested using a meter to show the reduction in RF/EMR …

5. Ian says:

This is all good stuff. The hazards of radio emissions are slowly becoming more widely broadcast and written about in ways which are making it harder to discount the opponents as just cranks, a bunch of nuts. Keep up the good work ! My 14 year old son thinks I am a nut, for my expressed objection to Wi-Fi, which we have dutifully installed in the house, at his behest, for the use of his games devices – play-station (on which he sits endlessly- shooting or running over virtual people with virtual guns and virtual stolen cars) He’s been totally seduced by the modern world. Of course the Wi-Fi is on 24/7 as to turn it off when were not using it (- the computer runs on it too ! ) -causes such a hassle in re-setting the games station . He has a mobile phone which he’s on a lot too- games and apps.
    Our 10 year old daughter has a wireless hand held games device and is also exposed to the play-station (we restrict the virtual violence there) and like him, sees the wholesale adoption of wireless technology as a thing you do ,without questioning, because it’s a feature of the modern world and everyone’s got it or getting it – as if popular conviction holds the truth. That my children have accepted this technology without question, tells me that maybe this is an indicator of the trust they have in the adult world. Shouldn’t this then tell us adults that we had better have the best practices and models in front of them as the grow ? I just feel a wave of resentment towards the marketers of this technology who have stuck these devices in front of my kids, the audacity of them to deign to know what’s more acceptable for my children, and going over my head in this regard. There’s a cruel-ness in that – turning my children away from me and my judgement ( which should hold sway over them – I am their father ) But that’s been turned on it’s head by the pervasive, persuasive seduction of modern (wireless) technology and it’s proponents. . I’ve been turned into a bystander of my children’s development. This makes me feel very depressed and powerless.
    This is not the first time I have been humiliated by the corporations and their handmaidens the Governments. 2 years ago a Smart meter was stuck on our house against my will and better judgement. I was threatened by a woman from Powercor to default to her imprecations on pain of having our power cut off. How would I explain that to my wife…..who, it needs to be said, did not support me in my anti Smart meter stance and also thought I was a nut.

‘ Nuts’ – slang word to disparage those in the 19 century who ate nuts seeing in them the health benefit of such a food. Everyone eats nuts now ! (so it must be good ! ) So ‘nuts’ might also mean visionaries or people who are ahead of the game…
    Try to appreciate our situation – we are constantly being saturated with radio frequency waves, some of it, by our own choice. Of course I worry about the dangers of cancer, damage to my children’s DNA. I feel such a hypocrite for accepting this situation that basically I couldn’t reject. I have ringing in my ears, transient dizziness (yes I know it could indicate other problems- but I don’t think so) but mostly the ringing, which is constant. I think i’m feeling the effects of the the Wi-Fi and Smart meter, combined with the anguish of living in a civilisation which is slowly killing itself. Ian

• Paul says:

Ian, needless to say there are many of us in your situation. My personal solution was to minimise the amount of exposure to WiFi by turning it off and utilising powerline adaptors for Internet access (and we don’t have a smart meter).

The next step was to have my kids view the two excellent documentaries Take Back Your Power and Beings of Frequency.

Now, will I be forced to pay a ridiculous surcharge for reading my meter when this is already covered in my daily standing charge? This will be interesting, as when I was ‘informed’ by mail that this would happen, I immediately responded (by registered mail) giving Jemena ten days to respond and that, if they did not, I would not be liable for any meter reading charges. Here is an excerpt for that letter…..

“In the event that I do not receive such a commitment or willingness to undertake one within ten days of this letter, I shall assume that you agree with the dangers associated with smart meters and further that Jemena will not attempt to charge me any fee for not having a smart meter or for reading my existing safe and passive analogue meter.”

Jemena has never replied.

• Happy Dissenter says:

Don’t worry Ian, my 14 year old son thinks I’m a troglodyte for my stance on wi-fi. The router is on my computer desk, so I keep it off most of the time despite the groans and moans. His birthday is on Saturday and I saw a birthday card which fits him perfectly. A 1950s woman with a horror expression is capped off with the slogan ~ “What do you mean there’s no wi-fi?” 🙂 One day the penny will drop on the kids of today.

• Tanya says:

Ian, since your family members are hell-bent on frying their brains and yours too, have you tried sheilding the wi-fi and other wireless devices? When the wi-fi isn’t being used just throw a shield over it. Hey, I’ve shielded the walls on the side of my neighbour’s house and their wi-fi network still shows up on my ipod, so I’ll bet your wi-fi would still work when shielded. But shielding should reduce the intensity of your physical suffering.

You can shield with fabric. Just buy one with the highest decibel (DB) attenuation factor (eg 60 DB or higher) and completely cover the wi-fi router, including underneath. Then earth the cover as well if the fabric can be earthed, to improve the shielding ability. You could also shield with aluminium flyscreen without any gaps in it (cables are a bit of a problem) or a carbon shielding paint on a box cover.

Make every effort to shield the smart meter because they are more insidious that any other wireless device.

• ingrid says:

This info would be good in the section – actions you can take. And maybe include exactly what the shielding fabrics are so we can find them. Thanks for all the info.

6. Tanya says:

I was investigating 24 hour ambulatory (Holter) heart monitors at this website http://www.monashheart.org.au/content/Document/MonashHeart_Patient-Diary_Holter.pdf and one of the guidelines Monash provides is that while wearing this device you should continue your usual activities, including mobile phone use!

But heaven forbid that we should ask Monash or any medical expert to confirm that mobile phones are dangerous to your heart.

And meanwhile we’ve got the equivalent of a 24/7 mobile phone in full operation sitting on our bedroom wall transmitting electricity consumption to the power distributors.

And the solution to the heart problems that smart meters are causing you is to open you up, insert a pacemaker into your chest, giving you a false sense of security that these experts have ‘fixed’ you, while the smart meters interfere with the pacemaker, and any metal parts contained in the pacemaker turn you into an antenna to attract even more radiation. But that is an easier ‘solution’ than removing the radio frequency emitting communications card from the smart meter.

• Deborah says:

My father has a pacemaker and when he goes to hospital to get it checked out, they put it through it’s paces wirelessly. At one stage my father became very uncomfortable couldn’t take it because they had ticked the pacemaker up so that my father’s heart was beating super rapidly. It was all done wirelessly by hospital staff. So, it’s no problem whatsoever for me to see how wireless devices, especially smart meters can indeed “interfere” or impact upon with the functioning of people’s pacemakers.

7. Reblogged this on The GOLDEN RULE and commented:
    At least we are being warned – it’s not just conspiracy theory!

8. Paul says:

On DDT, we all know this is a Class 2B carcinogen, WHICH IS BANNED BY THE VICTORIAN GOVERNMENT. Why then aren’t smart meters banned? A little double standards applying here methinks.

The proliferation of RF/EMF is a way of dumbing us down (look up Agenda 21). Those in ‘control’ are well aware of the dangers to all forms of life, so why are our devices (mobiles, WiFi, etc.) being made more and more powerful?

• Cedar says:

What makes me most mad is that we are being forced to be less than good parents because we have these bloody “Smart” meters pulsing away and destroying the brains of children and most people don’t want to know because they feel impotent to do anything about it. It’s not as though we can stop our neighbours meters from affecting us even if we don’t have a “SM” of our own. Our governments are as bad as 1000 Hitlers, as long as the money is there it’s to hell with the population. Shame on you governments, for destroying little children.

9. Eva Lester says:

Wi fi is the new baby sitter!

It is the new emergency – “quick” says the government “we must put wi-fi EVERYWHERE it is urgent – no train, no bus, no ferry, no shopping center, no library, no public phone should be without one! or disaster will strike!”

Since when is there no debate no question; about putting up transmission towers which cost billions of dollars? Since when has this been given the green light and no matter what the costs – transmission towers must be put up? It is an obsessive psychology based on the fact that – it would be a disaster if you can not connect to the internet every second of the day!!???

At what cost is all this ignorance??

Why are transmission towers for this technology popping up faster then mushrooms?

When this technology has not been properly tested and investigated?
    and the independent tests which have been done – show us that IT IS NOT A SAFE TECHNOLOGY!

JUST BECAUSE YOU CAN NOT SEE RADIATION does not mean it is not affecting us.

Kids will get sick, kids getting brain tumors. Kids that trust us Adults to be responsible for their safety.

The Governments says YES Free Wi-fi.

I question this – – – Why Fry!?

Why Fry your self with Wi Fi?

For Free?

Not a good deal. Thumbs down.