The January 24th edition of Victorian regional newspaper the Midland Express reported that a local fire brigade was called to a property after smoke started pouring out of a meter box.
Fire brigade captain Tyrone Rice said, “It appears water from a sprinkler got into the little vent of the meter box causing it to short circuit and then smoke started coming out”.
The mind boggles. Was it a few drops of water which caused this calamity? Or a veritable flood?
Victoria’s state-mandated rollout of smart meters to every residence and small business owner was reported as being effectively complete in 2015, although approximately 2% of customers remain without a smart meter. Surprising (read: alarming) outcomes continue to occur at properties which received a smart meter.