Council bid to halt smart meters – Whittlesea Leader

Alex Leisos is trying to rally residents to oppose smart meters. Picture: ROBERT McKECHNIE

WHITTLESEA councillors will be asked to support a campaign to make smart meter installation non-compulsory.

East Ward Councillor Mary Lalios will ask the council to request the State Government make installation voluntary in the City of Whittlesea.

Smart meters are set to be rolled out across Victoria by the end of next year.

“I hope councillors are going to support this because it’s advocating for our residents,” Cr Lalios said.

“(Residents) should be able to opt out. I think it’s highway robbery that residents have to pay for these meters so energy companies can tell us what our energy consumption is.”

Read the rest of the article via Council bid to halt smart meters – People – News – Whittlesea Leader.

This entry was posted in Smart Meter and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Council bid to halt smart meters – Whittlesea Leader

1. Suzanne Stiglic says:

I have a smart meter on the outside bedroom wall where my head is and want it moved or removed how do I go about it ? I live within the Whittlesea shire

2. Alex says:

Hello All, Notice of Motion was passed at City of Whittlesea’s general meeting.

Last night Cr Lalios moved a notice of motion, seconded by all against smart meters except for one Councilor.

This is what was passed.
    That council:

1. Write to the relevant Minister of the Victorian Government requesting that the continued installation of smart meters within the City of Whittlesea be a voluntary process for residents.

2. That council acknowledge residents democratic right to decide, without retribution, if they wish to have, or not have smart meters installed on their property.

The motion passed without dissent.
    Regards
    City of Whittlesea Smart Meter Awareness Group

3. Informed Choice says:

Gotta wake up the people to the dangerous, radiation emitting, sleep depriving, rip-off meter replacement being FORCED ONTO UNSUSPECTING CUSTOMERS! HOW DARE THEY… AND WHO DO THEY THINK THEY ARE?

4. Yes I agree most heartily, I have all but built a stand alone solar supply for my house and will be disconnecting from the grid come the end of OCT. Just as soon as I have a petrol generator backup for winter. I hate being at the beck & call of these power companies who can charge what they like for what is a most necessary requirement in the modern world. Solar electrical energy is free to everybody as long as you have the necessary equipment to collect store & unitise the electricity. Never before has this been so cheaply available as now.

• Alex says:

Hello Robert,
      I’m also looking at an Off The Grid solution as a backup, would you be in the position to contact me at “stopsmartmeters@y7mail.com” as I would like to discuss what equipment was used for your setup.

My Solicitor is going to tell Power-Cor to leave me alone as I am not interested in having a Smart Meter Installed. Reason they are a HEALTH, SAFETY AND NOW A BIG PRIVACY ISSUE. I AM KEEPING MY BOX LOCKED AND SIGN UP. So please the Councils are getting behind us. Cheers everyone…Pam 🙂

• jodi says:

Hi Pam. Good on you. Can you share any details? What do you mean by ‘sign up’? Jodi

• Gwen says:

Hi Jodi, I think Pam means she has a sign on her meter box that says something like,NO SMART METER AND NO TRESPASSERS. If you look down the the right side here, you can find the reference to the sign that people have been placing on their meter boxes and also other actions you can take in an effort to halt further installations. All the best 🙂

“sign up” I am sorry bad typing I meant I have my Signs displayed. Details – I am still waiting to hear from my Solicitor to confirm everything, but basically he contacting them to tell them to put me on a Refusal List for the reasons stated in my comment. Have you seen the latest Post????? Potential Security Risks, posted this evening.Cheers Pam 🙂