Almost 90,000 refuse Smart Meters!

The media reported last week that “Almost 90,000 of the more than 900,000 customers approached by installers so far have turned them away.” That is a lot of people.

Please note this is just the statistics for Victoria, ………..so far.

What would happen if 10% of the rest of Australia also turn them away when the roll out continues to the other states?

Don’t think you are alone or give up the fight people. You are in very good company.

Join the Rebellion Subscribe to our email updates, follow us on Facebook and Twitter and share this with your contacts.

Lets aim for more than 10%.

This entry was posted in Smart Meter and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

86 Responses to Almost 90,000 refuse Smart Meters!

1. Leaty says:

I have just received yet Another letter from SP AusNet, this time addressed to the owner/landlord where previously it has always been addressed to me. This one states they have tried contacting me several times (once only by phone, once only by mail) and that it has now become urgent that we resolve this issue to install a smart (dopey) meter and that I have to phone them within 10 days to make appropriate access!
    Ridiculous…..and I won’t be making that phone call.
    Should I respond in writing?

This has no other signature on it to write to an individual person. It is just signed SP AusNet.

2. David says:

I would like to change the name of this criminal device to cancer and mutation meter. A fully controlled microwave grid will be cooking our DNA from everywhere. The authorities will be able to send DNA damaging pulses for those who step out of line or too noisy without any evidence they hit the zap button.
    How utterly ridiculous that they think being bombarded with EMF from everywhere is good for us!
    We need to get “GET UP” to facilitate off grid solar installs or generator installs running CNG or even petrol in the worst case scenario.

David,
      These Smart Meter wizards of spin and utter falsehoods are now proving to be the five foreign owned Electrical Power Company’s C.E.O’s of Powercor and City Power and SP AusNet and Jemena and United Energy and of course their supporting ilk such as their Publicity Departments staff, where the little girls and boys are constantly LIED to by their teachers of SPIN and LIES. These gullible people, that is most of them it seems, the lies that are taught to them by their stupid and lying teachers.
      These people in these Publicity Departments, the little and far too trusting of their lying teachers seem to accept without question the Lies and Spin they are taught. Sadly these far too trusting people as a result haven’t the gumption to question any of these lies. They through sheer and unquestioning ignorance constantly make such stupid statements I have heard now dozens of times like…………
      ” The level of Microwave Radiation from a Microwave Smart Meter is actually less than from a Microwave Baby monitor or a Microwave Mobile phone. Or the level of radiation from a Microwave Smart Meter is less than from an “Analogue Meter.” Have they like me with my friends ever bought or used a Microwave Measuring Meter and tested any of these Microwave Electric so-called Smart Meters? The answer to this must be a RESOUNDING NO ! for had they done so as have I and many of my also scientifically qualified friends they’d know just how dangerous these Microwave so-called Smart Meters really are to humans and animals and all life these Electric Microwave so-called Smart Meters really are.

Firstly these Microwave so-called Smart Meters are not “SMART ” in any way at all but are as the World Health Organisation = the W.H.O and many other August Bodies of Medical Science are finding these Microwave Smart Meters to be, a very dangerous Type 2B Carcinogen Causing Meter which will soon be upgraded by the W.H.O to a Type 2A Carcinogen Causing Meter for all Life on Earth.

An Analog Electric Meter is a Passive Electrical Meter, that is it has no Microwave Radio sending or receiving equipment in it, so it cannot talk to or receive any Microwave Smart Meter/s information in the first place. These glib and stupid statements which most of these little boys and girls of these five (5) foreign owned Electric Power Companies constantly make shows just how ignorant they really are, when it comes to even Basic Science and radio science. It is laughable.

When I ask them what is the product of Amps and Volts ? they cannot even give me the correct Scientific answer which I learnt at fourteen years of age in Science Class at High School, some sixty (60) years ago, nor do they even know what Ohms are in Electrical Science etc. It is really laughable the crass level of ignorance amongst these public relations officers of these five foreign owned Electric Power Companies. By being so ignorant of Science they actually make themselves a laughing stock.

I had noticed that when I last questioned staff from the Department of State Development and Business Innovation, they are also ignorant of basic Electrical Science facts. How could they even be in charge of this Microwave Smart Meter Section beggars belief. Nor had they ever read Victorian Law for the protection of the Victorian Customers for Electrical Power. I found out that they also have never read the Victorian Charter of Human Rights and Responsibilities Act 2006, nor the the International Charter of Human Rights, and just as important he nor the Brodie’s Law which is against bullying of any kind at any time and in any business or work-place or in any form of occupation or Sport or anywhere at all that Bullying of any kind is carried out.

When a bully or bullies are brought before a Court and tried for these acts of Bullying and Wickedness and when found to be guilty, they can be made to serve a prison sentence of up to ten (10 ) years.

3. Eric says:

My nose is put out of joint when I receive some piece of correspondence stating that
    “there will be no more deferrals”.

Any previous dialogue with the Distribution company has been that I did not want smart meter full stop and that they were never to install such device. There was never any agreement to begin with for a smart meter to be installed therefore this expression of a “deferral” is bogus.

There has never been any agreement at any stage therefore deferral does not apply.

BOGUS BOGUS BOGUS

What is “deferral” ? Is it some sort of implied consent that by agreeing not to install now, we will allow installation later ???

Read my lips……”I do not go along with any notion to “defer” something that I have never consented to. Such notion is falsehood”

“There will be no more deferrals”……….Hey guess what, there never were any deferrals. It’s you were PROHIBITED from the beginning and remain henceforth PROHIBITED from installing your harmful and insidious device.

“DEFERAL” DOES NOT APPLY.

4. wendy oconnor says:

We don’t want a smart meter put into our box and we never have wanted it. The people who have written letters have given us lots of good ideas on what to do about it and so we will be locking it up and putting a high wire fence around it.

5. Nicole says:

Hi all, I have just received a reply to my email from SP AusNet stating that “The current meter is the equipment of SP AusNet and as such we are entitled to replace it. As a property owner you are required to provide free and clear access to your property for this to occur.”

The current meter was installed approx. 1 and half years ago…my question is, do we pay for the meter through our electricity bill? If so, how do I verify that? because if we pay for it, then don’t we own it? Even if we don’t own it, I can’t see that they can replace it with a ‘smart meter’ if we don’t consent especially considering that the meter is fully functioning and not faulty.

They also referred me to Cl 3.3.2 of the Electricity Distribution Code and to Cl 2.2 of the Electricity Metering Code which states:

“2.2 Ownership of metering equipment
    (a) Subject to clause 2.5, a customer does not have a proprietary interest in metering equipment installed by a distributor, a responsible person, a metering provider or a retailer.
    (b) A customer must not tamper with, or permit tampering with, metering equipment installed by a distributor, a responsible person, a metering provider or a retailer.
    (c) Any property or equipment left on the land or premises of a customer by a distributor, a responsible person, a metering provider or a retailer, regardless of whether such property or equipment is annexed to the land or premises of the customer, does not become the property of the customer who must:
    (1) not use the property or equipment for any purpose other than with the prior written consent of the owner of the property or equipment;”

Can anyone provide advice on how best to respond, if at all considering that I have already sent letters via registered mail to SP AusNet and the Minister. Signs have been placed on the front fence and meter box too (We will be locking it in the next few days).
    Keep up the good work and thanks in advance.

• Steve says:

Ask them where it says in the Electricity Distribution Code they are entitled to replace their own equipment and that it says that the equipment can be a “smart meter”. You wont find any clause in the Electricity Distribution Code that says they can install Radio Transmitters on a person’s property either.

• Nicole says:

Thanks Steve. Will pose these questions in my return email to them. Do you know if I can have my electrician install our own meter?

• Steve says:

Having an electrician install your own meter would probably contravene the Electricity Distribution Code, specifically

I think the disconnection of an existing meter and replacing with another meter would be considered tampering by the Power Utility.

Of course I wonder if you prevented a smart meter installer from installing a meter that you are actually supported by the same clause?

“A customer must not ….. permit tampering with, metering equipment” : )

• Freedom Rules says:

Surely an electrician is a ‘responsible person’?

What is the penalty for “tampering” ?????

When I told the DPI that I was intending to remove/organise the removal of a smart meter and asked them what is the penalty of me doing/organising such removal, they couldn’t give me an answer. Best they could do was tell me was that if I was intending to remove/organise the removal of a smart meter that I should contact the Distributor and let them know that’s what I would be doing.

Well if that’s it then it’s time to take action.

• Hobbit says:

Tell the power supplier you have no contract with them and you do not want one, they do not own the meter because there is no caveat in your title about them owning the meter.

• Power Unseen says:

Here in the Uk I gather one is permitted to have one’s own meter, unless there are genuine grounds for objection from the utility. I’d tell them and work with them. I got a letter asking me to contact them for a meter change. I wrote fine, a swap of an analogue meter for another analogue meter is OK, but not for a smart meter. They replied that to put my mind at rest, it was not a smart meter, and outlined their plans, what they proposed, saying I could opt out of the wider data-gathering operation. (So it is a smart meter?) I drew a couple of lines through the letter and wrote ‘null and void’ across it and sent it back. So far I have heard no more. Here smart meters are not mandatory. I cook with gas, heat with gas, have some battery lamps, batteries, a small generator, some inverters etc, doubtless could get a gas fridge, they can’t force one to have a smart meter, at a last resort one could end their contract with them. With all the dirty electricity around here, the meter would probably over-read. I suspect I’m a bit sensitive to the EMF’s/Microwaves anyway.

Nichole,
      A so-called Smart Meter is not ” SMART” in any way at all. It is a very dangerous piece of Shonky Electrical equipment and most of them are………………..Made in India and some in other countries. The ones from India don’t have a proper Metal Plate on them saying where they were made or a proper Stamp of Authority stating the necessary electrical facts as power requirements etc., to even make them legal in the first place, this I have found out from people high in the Electrical Trades.

It is not important that SP AusNet say they own the older Analog Safe and Passive Meters. They like the rest of the other four (4) foreign owned Electric Power Companies can’t prove they own any of these Electric Meters.

The only things you need to know are these……………….It is NOT THE LAW that you have to have a dopey and now proving to be Deadly to All Life and often being proven to be INCENDIARY proving to be Microwave and not so smart Electrical Meter as has been and as many of them are still proving to be INCENDIARY Microwave and not-so-smart meters. There have been and still are fires breaking out in Electricity Customers Metal and or Wooden Electric Meter Boxes in a number of ongoing cases and damage being done to these customers fridges such as electrical fusion damage and or damage to ones other home electrical goods after these Microwave so-called Smart Meters have been installed in peoples’ privately owned homes and or small business properties which is a good reason to Padlock your Electric Meter Box to stop these Smart Meter Men from stealing the Safe and Passive Analog Electric Meter on your property.

6. Maximus Aurum says:

I have done as everyone has, with the padlock, signs and window etc. However my concerns are:
    1. when TOU comes in we will be charged at the highest rate as a default (doesn’t seem to be anything stopping power companies from charging what they want)
    2. when our bills are rediculously high eg in the thousands at the peak default rate, we request a meter to be fitted – “of course we can fit it” (at a huge cost)
    3. If i choose to join a class action, it may be years before any result; and in that time huge bills have sent me bankrupt.
    4. I am a tradesman with a modest wage and a family, mortgage etc and can’t afford this
    5. I study and work full time so have no time for in depth research into this and can’t afford legal advice. I will however chip in for some shared legal advice if that’s even possible.
    6. I would love to go off the grid but not only do I need to install about 5kW of solar, I need to install about 1500+ AH of batteries to run my house without fail in all weather cycles and at night – $?000s worth of batteries.
    7. Meter installers coming this week to install so must decide quickly.
    What the ?

Confused

• Maximus Aurum says:

Another thing I thought of is:

When the role out is complete and in future years when ageing infrastructure barely supports the load during normal demand, will smart meters be used for controlled allocation of power? If so will those without smart meters be unaffected by controlled allocation or whatever the technical term is?

Confused

• 1vimana1 says:

Keep on reading S.S.M.A and go to some to the S.S.M.A Public Meetings, that’s what I do and learn a good deal. Simply keep your Electric Meter Box Locked first of all and only then put up your STOP Do NOT Fit A Smart Meter on this property Signs…….One on the Electric Meter Box and one on your front fence, or gate and or brick fence of pillar/s

Maximus Aurum,
      You still have another option I will send you now below. Firstly send a polite letter to the C.E.O of the Foreign Owned Electrical Power Company for your area stating that you refuse to allow a Microwave and ‘Not So Smart Electrical Meter ‘ on your property and send this letter and the Legal Commonwealth A.C.C.C Notice to them and fill out the details required before posting your letter of refusal for the M/Wave Deadly to All Life Dopey so-called Smart Meter. Send these by Registered Post and keep copies of same for Legal Purposes. Send copies of same to the Minister for Energy and Recourses Mr Nicholas Kotsiras and to Mr Dennis Napthine as well, also by registered Post. Please note that all these High Pressure Tactics being used on you and the rest of Victorian Electricity Customers are actually ILLEGAL, for a Mandate is not Lawful in any way at all. A Mandate is only an instruction and has never been passed as LAW in the Victorian Upper and Lower Houses of The Victorian Parliament or by the Select Committee of Parliament or the Governor of Victoria, so these lying and bullying people can go and Stick their dopey Mandate ……” Where the Sun Never Shines ! ”

(DATE)

(INSERT OWN NAME)
      (ADDRESS)

(Insert name and
      Address of Power Distributor)

NOTICE OF PROHIBITION OF UNDUE HARASSMENT OR COERCION FOR SMART METER INSTALLATION
      This notice is provided to _______________________________________________ and any persons, entities,
      (Insert Power distributor name and ACN no off letter you received)
      Employees, associates, corporations, sub-contractors and agents of the fore mentioned (herein referred to as Your Company).
      Notice to agent is notice to principal.

Note: This notice is provided in addition and following a NOTICE OF PROHIBITION FOR
      SMART METER INSTALLATION (date of your first letter) and NOTICE Your Company’s
      INTENTION TO DISHONOUR AND VIOLATE PROHIBITION FOR SMART METER
      INSTALLATION NOTICE (date of your letter received from Power Distributor after) served on Your Company.
      Your Company is prohibited and forbidden from communication in any manner, with the intent to solicit for the installation of a “smart meter” or meter containing wireless communication function(s) at the following (service) address: (Insert your address). Such an act is herein referred to as a PROHIBITED ACT.
      I have lawful and legal standing and claim of right to make such a demand.

Any PROHIBITED ACT will be considered an act of undue harassment or coercion with the supply or possible supply of goods or services as defined by the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (CTH) Vol. 3, Ch. 4, PT> 4-1, Div. 5 Sec. 168; such an offence carries a penalty of $1.1,000,000:00 One point one Million Dollars. If Your Company is in any way directed by the Government (State of Victoria) and State of Victoria Corporation to perform such an offence, the Government and individual members are liable under tort may in addition be held vicariously liable.
      Any PROHIBITED ACT remains prohibited unless I provide a NOTICE OF CESSATION OF PROHIBITION explicitly annulling this notice, or following a sale of property and change of property title holder for the property in question.
      A copy of this notice will also be provided for their records to (via regular mail):
      1. Customer Relations, DPI,
      2. Minister Nicholas Kotsiras, Government in the State of Victoria.

If a response to this notice containing any dispute of facts or CLAIM OF RIGHT based on lawful claim of right is not received within fourteen days from Your Company, it shall be fact that you accept as fact this notice and facts contained within, and will honour this notice; such requiring no further action on your behalf.

Sincerely

____________ __________________ ___________________
      (Your SIGNATURE) (Witness to your Signature) Print Witnesses name)

7. DG says:

hi, this has to be the most appalling invasion of privacy and rights ever. little by little we are letting Governments take away our freedom.

my “safemeter” sits in my meter box on my BEDROOM WALL….on the same wall where i SLEEP. i am horrified to think that a “frymeter” will be sitting there soon, frying me with electromagnetic radiation as i sleep from only 2 meters away, until one day i wake up with cancer. i received a letter today…they are coming in 3 weeks.

Here is my question, has anyone managed to ever get a compromise from a power company where i let them install a Frymeter only if they agree to pay for my powerbox’s relocation to a different spot? i could have the meter on the garage wall, it would be a lot further away from my head.

i figure trying to fight them to not put in a frymeter is pointless, it seems lots of ppl here have thrown up legal defence and got themselves into all sorts of hot water but not really succeded with anything. but if the meter was at least a reasonable distance from where i sleep then i might be able to live with it, if there is no other option.

many thanks,
    DG

• anonymous says:

DG, not sure what sort of hot water you’re talking about. Just LOCK YOUR BOX. Do it and display your signs. You’re not breaking the law therefore there is no hot water.

They will be breaking the law if they do trespass and break and enter. Theirs will then be hot water.

Don’t give in. I am having health issues just from the neighboring smart meters.

• Steve says:

No “hot water” experienced by me. I turned away installers twice, sent some very strongly worded letters to powercor (I will create a “share your story” soon with a copy of the letter) and I still have my “safemeter” although I am getting fried by my neighbours meters which I am not happy about.

• Freedom Rules says:

In no way should you be forced to live with something that you don’t want! There is no compromising your health & wellbeing for some Chinese companys’ higher profit margin is there, DG? Join in the fight to take back your rights like thousands of others have done by padlocking the meter box and telling them exactly what you think of their dirty power plan for us all – it really is that simple, anyone can do it! In answer to your question :- No, you will be the one paying to relocate the meter box to your garage wall and it isn’t cheap as people have already found out on this website. Further, my neighbouring meter is about 6 metres away from my bedroom – I now no longer sleep in there as I was waking with headaches every morning ( I do not have a smart meter on my own home and that’s the way it is going to stay). Good luck DG!

• kenny says:

Claiming people are “getting into hot water” thru pro-active means appears to be dis-info. Discussing the location of the meter/invasion before it has been installed/perpetrated, equates to discussing how far to bend over. I and many others wont bend at all – not an inch.

Simply follow the steps here…

We haven’t heard a peep out of the invaders since.
      It works.

• Hi DG,
      Fighting for what’s right is never pointless my friend. You are in control of your life and you have the power (no pun intended) to stand up for what you believe in.
      They will try all sorts of things to make you budge but follow the guidelines on this site and be strong. Irrespective of what they say – you are in the right.
      There are 90,000 of us already – 90,001 with you on board :-)

• Nikki says:

I am ready for the fight..they have told me twice it is going ahead for installation..Over my dead body it is…look out I will be waiting for them ….My son has tourettes tics and he is healing , no way are they going to stop my sons healing progress, i will padlock myself to the meter box if i have to….grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!! Plus have papers from the OPPT that i can serve on them and apparently this will make the Company back off…SP-Ausnet

DG,
      Simply Padlock you Electric Meter Box, simple as that and only after padlocking it, then get up your Commonwealth of Australia Legal Anti Trespass and STOP do not install a Smart Meter to this property. See also my reply to Maximus Aurum above.

8. MareksLady says:

I rent my Unit & received a letter from PowerCor that I was having a Smart Meter installed but I’m in one of three Units, mine is on the end of the block & I also have the box where THREE Smart Meters will be installed, just on the other side of my Loungeroom. I don’t want one but the chap who owns the second Unit wants a Smart Meter & the lady in the 3rd Unit rents as well.
    I don’t think that Renters have a say in whether or not we want a Smart Meter or not, I’m a good & reliable Tenant, have been for over 5 years but I don’t get a say in what is installed, such as a Smart Meter, this, to me, is unfair!!

• 1vimana1 says:

Please contact your Land Lord or Land Lady immediately and make him or her aware of the very real danger to your and other peoples’ health and damage to your private electrical goods, in regard to forcing you or anyone to take or accept a so-called Smart Meter against your Will and or Better Judgement.

• Ashley says:

“I don’t think that Renters have a say …”
      From my experience the Power Company cannot be instructed by the Landlord about any installations. It is solely between the customer (you) and the Power Company. I guess the only thing to check on is if refusal of such installations, without first consulting the Landlord, somehow contravenes your rental agreement.

Ashley,
        You are incorrect there ! The rented property belongs to the Landlord or Landlady it his or her responsibility to care about the Smart Meter not being forced upon you or anybody else if you leave that abode. Please approach your Landlord and get him to please padlock the Electricity Box on that home you are renting, if he refuses to do so ask his permission for you to do it yourself and or get a locksmith to do the job. If he will not give you permission to do this try to find a new rental property where the Electric Meter box is already padlocked.

If a microwave smart meter………actually not- o smart-meter is put on in your absence you don’t know just how badly it will possibly affect your health. I have had my own privately owned house’s electricity box padlocked for over two years now, to safe-guard my health as I can no longer use a Microwave Mobil Phone as it made me very E.H.S and my doctor confiscated it.

9. Don & Sharon Gamble says:

I live in Sunbury, at the present time the smart meter rollout is on here in earnest and I have locked up my meter, put up signs etc and have written to Jemena to tell them “No Smart Meter”., but hows this ? — Today 12/02/2013 I got a phone call from a Jemena representative on my UNLISTED phone number in response to my letter , when I asked how they had got hold of my unlisted phone number as I certainly did not give it to them they said they had been given it as part of some Govt en\mergency legislation as they are an essential service provider for contacting me , just what sort of “Big Brother “country are we living in . “Don” .

• Freedom Rules says:

Wow! This would really get under my skin. I don’t wish to talk to any of them, EVER! Heads up Victorians!

• Elizabeth says:

I also have an unlisted phone number and the representative from Powercor rang my number and requested that I let him on my property to install the meter. Of course I denied him access, however there must be some broken legislation from the Government and Powercor. I chose to have and pay for an unlisted phone number for a reason.
      If some people can access my unlisted number then what is the point of paying for it!

• 1vimana1 says:

This now proves we are living in a Police State for sure. Write them a polite and strong letter refusing installation of the now proving to be Deadly Dangerous so-called Smart Meter and padlock your Electric Meter Box. Also send them the Anti Harassment $10,000,000:00 Notice I have already published on this web-site. This notice is from our Commonwealth Head of Government and overrules any State Legislation of any State in Australia including Victoria. These foreign owned Electric Power Companies are acting with Criminal Intent towards you. Call these BASTARD’S BLUFF as I have done. That is your Legal Protection and see a good Lawyer as I have also done. Get up your Commonwealth Anti Tresspass signs as well but first Padlock That Electric Meter Box of yours.

Hi Don and Sharon,
      We have now inherited a Police State for sure. What a pack of Cheeky SODS Jemena has become. Padlock that Electric Meter Box Pronto !

10. Peter Wolstenholme says:

NO SMART METER FOR US!
    We have padlocked our meter box and attached the STOP letter with the added questions, name and address of the company, the identication and license number of the registered electrician.
    The letter from SP AusNet states they expect to install their meter withing the next ten days
    We are READY!
    Peter and Heather. Retirees

11. John Wilson says:

Hi All,

Not sure of this estimated reading is legal. How long can the continue estimating reading. I would suspect it would likely get so far out of kilter and I also suspect biased in favour of the power companies that it could be found to be fraudulent. Just a thought but to make it clearer, as a pensioner, I pay into an electricity account a budgeted amount each pension day. Originally it was set by the company and I finished up a considerable amount in credit. Now I set the budget, not them. I aid I was not prepared to fund them and if they did not like I would stop all payments
    Professori_au

• ingrid says:

Hi John,
      Do you mean your meter has not been read for a long time?
      Even if you pay a regular agreed amount, you are entitled to have your meter read.

• Jason says:

The rules are that a meter MUST be read at least once a year. Padlock your front gate and then tell them that you will NOT pay a bill until your meter is read ~ by prior arrangement with you to allow admission.

12. Terry Grant says:

I have just received a letter from Powercor telling me that we are all under a deemed electricity distributor contract,which binds both Powercor and customer? They state they have the right to enter our premises without permission. We are trying to find out the legalities of this contract.and
    If anyone has any information about this we would appreciate advice.

Thanks Terry

• S&J rutherford says:

If you contact my email address we could send a copy of a leaflet distributed at the Glenroy Public meeting Aug 23rd, 2012 that could be usefull.

jsrutherford iprimus .com.au

• ingrid says:

Hi. If it’s not too much trouble, could a copy of that leaflet be added to the ‘Actions you can tale’ post on this site?

• John Wilson says:

Hi Terry,
      This is an extract from Macgraw about contracts and it explains the elements required to be met. If these are not met then the contract is not a valid contract.
      THE ELEMENTS OF A VALID CONTRACT
      The creation of a binding contract that the courts will enforce requires the contracting parties
      to meet a number of requirements that are prescribed by the law of contract. While these
      requirements are not numerous, they must, nevertheless, be met before the agreement creates
      rights and duties that may be enforceable at law. These requirements are referred to as the elements of a valid contract and consist of the following:
      1. An intention to create a legal relationship
      2. Offer
      3. Acceptance
      4. Consideration
      5. Capacity to contract
      6. Legality

Furthermore I would think that a contract with a company such as PowerCor and similar, would need to be in writing and signed by both parties.
      It is illegal to alter a contract without agreement from both parties.
      Aside from PowerCor claim there are many other lawful and legal issues. I will try and summarise some of them.
      Personally I have emphatically refused to have a smart meter installed and told PowerCor that it has breached quite a number of laws. PowerCor/city Power has tried over the past 18 months or more to convince me of the benefits through threats that I could have power disconnected to $500 fine.
      When every effort failed I was told I would be noted on the computer as refusing installation.
      I agreed that would be a good idea, but if somehow they managed to install one, immediately I would be contacting them to disconnect the power and I would go public nationally and internationally, advising the public that a big multinational company had forced the disconnection because I, an aged pensioner refused.
      I told them as an engineer and I am not convinced of the safety and accuracy.
      1 Breaches the Commonwealth of Australia Constitution by taking away my common law rights, (these are many)
      2 Breaches the Commonwealth Weights and Measures Act by not being calibrated or tested for health and Safety Requirement. I believe that Dr Brittain the Minister has erred when he gave the power companies an exemption from the requirement to go through the Australian testing standards and may even have committed a crime.
      3 If correct then a crime has been committed under the Commonwealth Crimes Act.
      4 Claims that the premier of Victoria had mandated the installation. This is incorrect. The power companies were advised to use every endeavour to pursued the customers to allow the installation. This does not mean the customer must accept the installation.
      5 If the Premier had mandated it using the 1975 Victorian Constitution as the parliament’s base of power then that would be invalid as well as the 1975 Victorian constitution is invalid and has not standing. It is just a document.
      6 It has not received the signed Monarch’s document, nor has it been to a referendum for approval or rejection.
      7 The 1855 Victorian Constitution has never been repealed.
      8 The lawful Constitution is the 1855 Victorian one as it has never been to the people in a referendum to be repealed.
      9 Tested in the High Court, any new Acts and legislation; amendment of old Acts and legislation would be found invalid, unless they are consistent with the 1855 Victorian Constitution and the Commonwealth Constitution 1901, e.g. as an example the Smart Meter Act may be illegal.
      10 Finally as I explained to the PowerCor senior manager, as PowerCor is no longer a public utility but a company, owned by international corporations it breaches the Trade Practices Act (Consumer and Competition Act) by using its power as a monopoly in the market place to force products and services on the public that has not requested or wanted it. (a Crime)
      11 Finally I told them I was prepared to add another crime to the list and that was harassment and intimidation.
      Well it is a long comment but I hope it gives food for thought and I believe we can win as long as we are prepared to challenge them.
      Regards
      Professori_au

• Redshoe says:

John, Good man! We need more people like you.

• Hi John,
        I ve recieved similar letter from United Energy few times in last 10 months.They couIdnt manage to install it as i keep my gate locked.In a meanwhile i would like get some advice from you about writing a smart metter refusal letter to them.
        thank you very much.

• Absolutely incensed says:

Terry, I believe the obligation to allow access to equipment is only for purposes that remain within the bounds of a distribution model where supply, metering, billing remain separate and distinct components…..rather than in any way integrated
      AMI or smartmetering is outside those bounds.

Wording in the contract (the Distribution Code) refers to “supply, metering OR billing of electricity”. The word OR is telling us of a thinking of a distribution model as having mutual exclusivity between these three components.

Terry, can you remember when you ever entered into a contract with your distributor to purchase electricity from them under an AMI model ??? I know I can’t.

• Jason says:

The ‘permission’ of which they speak is your agreement go the fine-print of the contract. Write a formal letter withdrawing any implied permission and, as I’ve said it before, get a doberman or rottweiler and tell them they should explain it to him.

• 1vimana1 says:

A deemed Contract is not worth the paper it is written on. These people from the five foreign owned Electric Power Companies are just a bunch of Bully Boys and Girls. We live in a DEMOCRACY HERE IN VICTORIA AUSTRALIA, FOR GOD’S SAKE, not a BLOODY NAZI DICTATOR SHIPS THAT TRIED TO BOMB ME AND MILLIONS OF US LONDONERS OUT OF EXISTENCE IN THE SECOND WORLD WAR.

Simply padlock your electric meter box, it’s your property not theirs, dont swallow any of their filthy lies. Send the C.E.O a polite and strong letter refusing installation of the now proven to be Deadly Dangerous and Dopey Microwave so-called Smart Meter. It is not smart in any way but a now proven to be Type 2B Carcinogen Causing Meter.

13. Sue Dedic says:

We have received a letter of impending installation of smart metre. I have a large A4 over our
    metre advising we do not want it installed. The letter advised we have to have it, legally do
    they have a right to install despite our written objection
    Sue Dedic
    July 25,2012

• Melbourne Mum says:

Hi Sue, the only way to be without a smart meter is to actually lock your meter box because as many people have found out, they take no notice of the signs. Their letters are designed to lull the public into compliance, they use cleverly constructed sentences in order to make customers think they have no choice in the matter but… freedom of choice is what we are fighting for here not being dictated to by multi-nationals and this lazy government which refuses to uphold its own Election ‘promises’. Why not join us in sending a clear message to them that this roll-out of smart meters needs to STOP!

They bypassed the lock on my brothers locked meter box and installed when he was at work. He suggested that they removed the door via screws some how.

• John Wilson says:

Don’t let them bluff you. I note from many comments from other people, some have had them installed despite advising they do not want the installation. I believe it has come to the stage for class action and in some cases compensation. They do not have the authority and if you read my comment to Terry you will understand a bit more.
      Put a no trespass sign at your gate and a sing advising the installer that they must not install and also they can be charged with trespass. The government can only bluff you if you let them .
      professori_au

• Jason says:

Not for a minute (see above about formally retracting and implied permission in the original contract) ~ they depend on bullying and intimidation. BEST solution is to get a stand-alone (NOT A GRID_CONNECT ONE!) solar-system installed (or do it yourself) and tell them you’re no longer dealing with them or any ANY bills, and that they may disconnect you whenever they wish. But don’t let them talk you into asking for disconnection; that’d cost you $30.
      For info contact dabbbles@gmail.com

No Sue they dont,
      Simply padlock your Electric Meter Box Immediately. You own the Electric Meter Box, then get up your signs in that order. These dopey Foreigh Owned Electric Power Companies C.E.O’s and their lapdogs and the Victorian Government are breaking the Law in trying to force you to take or accept a now proving to be Deadly Dangerous Microwave so-called Smart Meter, as evidenced by the World Health Organisation.

14. Sunbury says:

They tried to do it to us today, No letter, Bully tactics and Lucky wife was here to say NO.
    But the rest of the street was done as most were at work, and they dont know yet.
    I spoke with them on the wife’s phone (6 vans 8 workers) (poor wife felt scared) and was told dont care it will go on without consent as my existing meter will be removed and power cut off with police Present.
    Went to Aldis and could get great genarator.
    This is crap, lock and window on the meter will go on tomorrow.
    What do I do next???

Dear Mr Sunbury Man,
      No you don’t need to get a generator. Please see Victorian Consolidated Legislation…….Charter of Human Rights and Responsibilities Act 2006 – Sections 10
      Protection from torture and cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment :

A person must not be –

(a) Subjected to torture; or

(b) treated or punished in a cruel, inhuman or degrading way; or

(c) subjected to medical or scientific experimentation or treatment without his or her full, free and informed consent. See also Section 13 below…………….

Section 13. Victorian Consolidated Legislation ……..Charter of Human Rights and Responsibilities :

Privacy and reputation.

A person has the right –

(a) not to have his or her privacy, family, home or correspondence unlawfully or arbitrarily interfered with; and

(b) not to have his or her reputation unlawfully attacked.

Please also note that if you have locked up your Electricity Meter Box which you own as I do, to protect the Analog Passive and Safe Meter you still have, from being taken by these Smart Meter Installer People the Electric Power Company cannot Lawfully Cut Off Your Electric Power, so long as you pay your electric bills or part thereof in good faith.
      If these Bounders Like CitiPower and PowerCor Australia Ltd and SP AusNet or Jemena or United Energy Distribution so much as threaten to Cut Off Your Electrical Power then they are flagrantly Breaking The Law. So don’t let these people INTIMIDATE YOU.
      Please don’t talk to any of them over the telephone. Just write them a polite letter stating that your refuse to accept a dopey and now proving to be dangerous to both your health and your electrical goods so-called Smart Meter.
      Also include in your letter the following……………….
      IF AT ANY TIME I FIND THAT A SMART METER HAS BEEN INSTALLED ON MY PROPERTY AGAINST MY WILL AND BETTER JUDGEMENT I WILL JOIN THE COMMON CLASS ACTION TO SUE.

Keep a copy of this letter for Legal Purposes and send the original to your Electrical Power Company and the Minister for Power Mr Michael O ‘ Brien by Registered Post with the numbered Postal Slip. Ask the post office for a personal signature from the recipient as I did for proof that the C.E.O of the Electric Power Company received your Legal Letter. Do the same with the letter you send to Mr Michael O’ Brien the Victorian Minister for Power.

15. Sharron says:

Planning a letterbox drop in my neighbourhood to warn others against the sneaky smart meter installers. I feel it’s important people know that they don’t have to accept what is dished out to them and to muster that ‘fighting spirit’ like I have. This Government should be banished and the whole political system (JOKE THAT IT IS) seriously overhauled!!! Protect the innocent and uphold our FREEDOM TO CHOOSE!!!!!

• Liz says:

Hi Sharon I also arranged to meet with my local MP. I sent an email and requested a meeting to discuss my concerns as urgent given that they were approaching my neighbourhood. I found that this was an educational session for my local MP as she had so little information about the health risks. I took print outs and handed them over. I would recommend that if each local MP across Victoria was contacted and presented with the facts on health/costs etc we would be able to mobilise greater influence politically. How about we set ourselves a challenge to contact and meet with each Victorian local MP and feedback this info back to the site?

• Sharron says:

Hi Liz I have written to local MP only days ago but requesting to meet seems a good idea also. Feeling like the only person in this town who is really against the ‘stress’ meter . Are people so misguided by what the electricity providers tell them that they don’t feel the need to worry? Hate the thought of a society so naive and powerless against a real (not imagined!) THREAT to their Human Rights. Lucky country?? yeah, right.

• John Wilson says:

Good for you. For many people it is lucky if they can get an appointment with their local MP. In Geelong the performance of the local Mp’s is remarkable for its absence.
        They need to be reminded that the government is the people and the Parliament (MP’s) are their servants elected to carry out the will and Mandate of the people.
        Because Parliament’s are captive of the political factions they find it hard to understand.
        regards
        Professori_au

16. thank you for all this lnformation, I feel better now as I am going to refuse a smart meter when they arrive in a few days time our meter is in the garage and we will refuse to open the garage door regards Pamela

17. Tony Ryan says:

What’s a smart metre? And who is it smart for? Not the consumer, I bet.

• 1vimana1 says:

A so-called smart meter is not SMART in any way at all. Many of these Electric so-called Smart Meters are turning out to be Incendiary Meters…………See two Smart Meter fires in the Haddon Dentists Practice in Glenroy and another smart meter fire in Northcote causing $350,000 Dollars of damage to the Northcote two storey family home.

See also mounting numbers of fires from so-called smart meters in the Geelong area. See also fires have happened in the Ararat or Western districts area at four (4) I know of farmers home properties after these proven to be Incendiary devices were installed.

18. Miranda says:

Hi
    I have a notice saying that a meter will be installed next week. I’m leaving this very late to action but am I to understand that even though the meters have been mandated I can refuse to have one installed? United Energy is my power supplier but Service Stream are the contractors. Who should I contact and how? A registered letter probably won’t make it by Monday but a phone call will. I can certainly do the padlocking and and put the notice up.
    Miranda

• Stop Smart Meters Australia says:

Hi Miranda, take a look at this post and the related page for more information

• Richard Leschen says:

Hi Miranda,
      You say that the Smart Meters have been Mandated. That is incorrect, it is a Big Fat Lie that the Victorian Government and the Electric Power Companies want you to believe.
      The Victorian Public have never entered into a Contract with the Power Companies or The Victorian Government to accept these now proving to be Dangerous to your health and to your electrical goods Shonky Electric Smart Meters. Please see the Victorian Act as it really is…….
      The Victorian Electrical Act 2000 Section 46 D and the Vitorian Gazette No. S200 dated 28th August 2007
      which states the following …………..

Page 16. Clause 14 Remotely read interval meter rollout.
      14.1 Rollout period
      (a) Subject to clause 14.3, each distributor must use its best endeavours to install a

remotely read interval meter (which is operational as a remotely read interval meter

in accordance with the functionality, distributor performance levels and distributor

service levels set out in a further Order in Council to be made under section 46D

of the Act) for all of the metering installations for customers with annual electricity

consumption of 160MWh or less for which it is the responsible person on the End

Date by that date.

(b) If a distributor has not installed a remotely read interval meter for all of the metering

installations for customers with annual electricity consumption of 160MWh or less for

which it is the responsible person by the End Date, then, for the purpose of considering

whether the distributor has used its best endeavours to do so, the Commission must

take into account:

(i) the distributor’s actions in relation to the risk of failing to install the relevant

meters, including whether the distributor has failed to take any action that could

reasonably have been taken to mitigate that risk and whether the distributor has

taken or omitted to take any action which has increased that risk;

(ii) the distributor’s decisions and actions relevant to meeting the requirements of

clause 14.1(a) in light of the information that was available to the distributor at

the time those decisions and actions were taken; and

(iii) any other factors the Commission considers relevant.

14.2 Rollout schedule

(a) By the commencement of each regulatory year set out in the schedule to this Order,

each distributor must forecast the number of metering installations for customers with

annual electricity consumption of 160MWh or less for which it will be the responsible

person on the End Date, and provide this forecast to the Commission.

(b) Subject to clause 14.3, each distributor must use its best endeavours to install, by the

end of each regulatory year set out in the schedule, the number of remotely read interval

meters (each of which is operated as a remotely read interval meter in accordance with

the functionality, distributor performance levels and distributor service levels set out

in a further Order in Council to be made under section 46D of the Act) specified to be

installed by the end of each regulatory year in the schedule.

” Now this is very different from what Powercor and the rest of the other Electricity Power Companies have been telling me as well that the DPI and the Victorian Ombudsman’s Department etc that ” It is the Law that home owners and small business are legally obliged to allow a Smart Meter to be installed on their properties. ” Now this proves to me that these people are all LIARS ! And just as important is the fact that one can see, reading between the LINES that the Electric Power Companies Contractors or those Smart Meter Installer Men are under great pressure to get as many meters onto home and small business properties as possible in the shortest of time. This smacks to my mind of High Pressure Salesmanship with out any due care of responsibility for customers feelings as to whether people want a Smart Meter or not.

This a most disgusting attitude to take towards any customer or customers now that I know and they the C.E.O’ s of these Electric Power Companies must know by now just how unpopular many of these Smart Meters are with a propensity to cause fires not only in customers’ Electric Meter Boxes but to also in many cases these Smart Meters are starting fires in customers’ electrical goods, and to the added fact that these meters are upsetting so many peoples health with their dangerous VHF Radio Transmitting Frequencies which are used to communicate with the high transmission receiving and broadcasting towers now so prevalant and still growing in profusion all over the Earth.

This is the ammunition above which you all need to help fight off these Money-Grubbing Electric Power Companies

• John Wilson says:

They have not been mandated. The government does not have that authority.
      It is bluff and bullying. Don’t accept it. If they come and you can arrange it, arrange to have someone there as a witness to you telling them you don not want it installed.
      Read my comments above as a way to understand your rights
      Professori_au

• louise turner says:

scew it shut like we did and put a window in for cheeking my hubby used screws that will never come out plus a tresspass sign

19. Michael Edwards says:

Thanks for your response. This was so inactive I thought there might be a main forum somewhere else I haven’t found yet.
         What concerns me here is that the posts seem so sparse that it’s not going to taken as any real opposition at all.
         Anyway, with the State Government’s decision a few weeks ago, is the fight all over now? Or are there still ways of fighting this?

• Sam says:

Hi Michael, print a sign, laminate it and stick it on your meter box. Then padlock it. The Minister and the energy companies have said repeatedly they will not disconnect people who refuse a meter, it would only be a last resort when all other avenues have failed. Join the other 90,000 of us and padlock your meter box.

Dear Sam,
        There is no legal Last Resort for these Electric Power Companies. So long as you pay your Electrical Bills every 90 days or so, they the Electric Power Companies would be Breaking the Law in even threatening to cut off, or disconnect your Electric Power. These statements from the Smart Meter and the Electric Power Companies are nothing but flagrant lies to INTIMIDATE THEIR CUSTOMERS.

Just stand up to these bullies as I have done. Don’t telephone them at any time. Only contact them by registered mail as have I. There is no Victorian Law forcing you to accept a so-called Smart Meter, it is all bully and bluster on their part. Already in England and Holland the so-called Smart Meters are now being ripped out in many cases where people who previously had them do not want them any more, for health and safety reasons and genuine fear that these so-called Smart Meters have in many cases started fires in customers electric Meter Boxes and damaged customers’ private electrical goods like…….fridges and or T.V sets and or computers and or printers etc. Now these Dutch and English customers are getting the good older Analog Meters replaced which had previously been taken from them. Now those Dutch and English Electric Power Companies are being made to foot the bill of replacing the Smart Meters with the proven to be safe Analog Electric Meters.

Please see my earlier letter above for more helpful details.

I lived through the Second World War and the London Blitz and nobody is going to make me take a SO-CALLED SMART METER. THESE SMART METER MACHINES ARE NOT SMART IN ANY WAY AT ALL.
        WHEN THE TIME OF USE or T.O.U PARAMETERS COME IN SOON, UP WILL GO THE ELECTRICITY BILLS LIKE CRAZY, FOR THOSE PEOPLE WITH THE SMART METERS…….MARK MY WORDS ! THOSE OF US STILL KEEPING OUR ANALOG METERS SHOW NO TIMING DEVICE AND CANNOT REPORT THE TIMES OF USE OF ELECTRICITY DRAWN THROUGHOUT THE DAY OR NIGHT, AS THESE ANALOG METERS STILL HAVE TO BE MANUALLY READ AS BEFORE.

20. Stop Smart Meters Australia says:

Hi Michael, we don’t have a separate forum, but can use these comments to ask and answer questions like a forum. This is something we could look into.

• Cedar Wilde says:

Has anyone got a sample letter for dropping into neighbours letterboxes to inform them of the dangers of these very un-“Smartmeters”. The whole point for the electricity providers and the companies who instal them is the bottom line – MONEY. It’s the tobacco companies all over again. (But at least smokers weren’t told that they HAD to smoke!)
      They don’t give a hoot for our health. Perhaps the idea is to counter the population explosion, haha, there are better ways of doing it, education for one.

21. Michael Edwards says:

Is there a forum anywhere where people can discuss things, ask questions, and so on? This has all of a sudden caught up with me unawares, and I am due to be installed in 10 days or so if I can’t fight it somehow. Is there anything I can do about this?

What if I write to the electricity company and tell them I don’t want it, and I deny them permission to enter my property for that purpose? Will they ignore me? What if the installer comes and I stand in the way and say, “No, I don’t want you to do this.”? Will they just go away? Will they say they’ll cut me off electricity altogether if I don’t let them do it?

Do I have any more formal avenues of objection?

I am very concerned, because I regard this as a serious threat to both my finances (as a pensioner) and to my health (as a person who already has mental health problems, tinnitus, and occasional migraine auras (strange visual effects) that so far get no worse, but I fear they may if this goes ahead).

I would appreciate any answers to such matters – and to be told about a forum where such issues in general can be discussed.

Thanks.

• Jason says:

Michael, send a formal (registered?) letter not saying that you don’t “WANT” the bloody thing, but that you WILL NOT have it. If they approach your meter box (locked or not) stand with your back against it and refuse to move, Call the police if you can and tell them you’re being menaced by some thug and need immediate help… Any bastard that lays a hand on you will lay himself open to criminal assault charges, and those who sent them will be liable to even more serious charges.

22. Terry says:

I have a padlock on my meter box. I know from my bill roughly when they are coming to read my meter and leave the padlock off for a few days at reading time. I have a “STOP” notice on my meter box. I don’t think they would arrange the installations to coincide with the meter readings as it would be too difficult for them from a billing perspective. But even if they did I still have the sign there which tells them in no uncertain language not to install a smart meter.

As for the protest on the steps of parliament – count me in. My only concern is that the media sometimes uses a small turn out against the protestors. If there is a small number of protestors they report that as meaning not many people support the cause, which is not true. We have to be certain we turn up in our tens of thousands! OK people? This is not the time for luke warm support.

• Alda says:

Terry, sorry about the late reply, as I have just become aware of this problem. You said you would leave the padlock off for your next meter reading. Don’t do that as the notice will not stop them. Someone I know has cut a small window in their meter box door so their meter can be read without the padlock being taken off. This is what I must do too, now.

23. Eva says:

Yeay! way to go Victorians.

Now, IMAGINE if only half of that quoted number decide to join ranks and PROTEST outside
    Parliament!!!!! (obviously in the new year when Parliament sits again)

I too am refusing and am about to put up a NO SMART METER sign on my meter box and if necessary also LOCK IT with perhaps a ‘viewing hole’ cut out of the front of the meter box.

If it means that I will then at some stage only get an estimated reading, so be it, since my useage is continually consistent, and I already pay via direct debit a monthly bill.

Dear Eva,
      Please padlock your Electric Meter Box IMMEDIATELY. Everyone needs to do this as just the signs are not enough by themselves.

• louise turner says:

we screwd ours shut tonight my other half will put in a little window on the weekend so they can still see the metre and being on our bedroom wall above our bed thatis a real worry for me, i did speak to the power company and they told me it was tested for 3 months and its safe, i asked the guy if he was ther doing the testing he said no, so i said to him so you have no real proff of this and your just saying to customers what your being told he said yes ,so i say your selling a product with no proff of what you just told me i feel sorry for you testing needs to be done for a least 2 years on all sorts of people,

I padlocked my box and wasn’t happy, so I built another box around my existing box and locked it also several times over. Am now thinking to set up some sort of locking mechanism inside the box that is invisible from the outside and which enters into the house through the brick wall and plaster and which mechanism can only be operated from within the house. I want to stick it up these power companies soooo soooo bad. And if any of the politicians ever want to know what else can be done with wooden boxes I’d be happy to pass on my ideas.